UK-Bands vs. US-Bands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I noticed, that there are many more good bands from the UK than from the States. I started to make a list:

UK
U2,Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, Oasis, Blur, Radiohead, Depeche Mode, Coldplay, The Verve, Travis, Portishead, Massive Attack, Pulp, Belle and Sebastian, Manic Street Preachers to be continued, I'm sure I forgot some important ones...
rolleyes.gif

US
R.E.M., Smashing Pumpkins, Bob Dylan, RHCP, Nirvana...
confused.gif

Of course, it's a matter of taste. But what do you think?

------------------
Take the money and run

I've done this one before.

Because of the different mentalities of the nation, I deduced the following:

UK has by and large the more successful bands
US has by and large the more successful individuals

Thanks

Led Zeppelin
tongue.gif
without LZ..no Guns And Roses..

The Smiths / Queen / BS / Eric Clapton

[This message has been edited by ACROB@T (edited 01-22-2002).]

UK : David Bowie , Prodigy

USA : Lou Reed & Velvet Underground , Jimi Hendrix , Rage Against The Mashine + a lot of great Jazz/ Blues musicians , Blues Brothers!!
smile.gif

let me add these to the UK list:

Starsailor,Muse,Gomez

and this one to the US one:

Jeff Buckley

------------------
don't believe what you hear
don't believe what you see

It was all of the great american blues and R&B artists that inspired the UK supergroups like the Beatles, Stones, The Who and Led Zep. (Who most people have almost completely overlooked their blatant sampling/theivery of other peoples' music.)

And those groups in turn inspired another generation of groups on both sides of the Atlantic. I see it as a symbiotic relationship to make the best music we can.

But without artists like:
Chuck Berry
Bo Diddley
Muddy Waters
Buddy Holly
Elvis
The Beach Boys
Bob Dylan...many UK groups would never have been at all, or been nearly as great.

And for the solo artist list don't forget, Dylan, Elvis, Bruce Springsteen,Tom Waits,Leonard Coen.

Cheers to J. Swallow!

Thanks to African influences in American Southern music, we today have great music from the UK.

As an American, I would love to see bands like Travis and Starsailor on our pop charts (or at least in the top ten). Different consumer tastes I guess....

Back
Top Bottom