U2's touring - would you be ok with this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i didn't quite feel any sort of lack of intimacy with the stadium show. i stood in the very same GA spot for both a stadium and an arena show (one person from the rail) and honestly i wouldn'tve even noticed whether or not there was a roof over my head.

now, that's obviously different for people in the seats. but for someone who always was, and always will be GA (tickets are cheaper and i love the reunions and community building that happens in line) i'd be content with either show.

If you ask me if I would like to see U2 in BC Place (Vancouver stadium) or GM Place (Vancouver arena), I'm going to say GM Place every time.

As long as U2 remain a 'working' band (ie not playing greatest hits shows), I don't think their approach is going to change. In other words, it'll remain what McGuinness would probably call a 'logical and economical business model' or some claptrap. In other words, it'll be:

a) Always release the new album in the autumn, sorry, 'fourth quarter', even if it's ready in the spring.
b) Always play large indoor arenas in N America, and play lots of shows (ideally in the spring and / or autumn).
c) Always play stadiums in Europe. If they can be arsed to venture further afield, always play stadiums there too, as it cuts down on the number of shows and (presumably) the travelling between venues.

I guess U2's management are still wary of US stadiums, even ten years after Popmart. The thing is, I've no doubt that they could sell out US stadiums no problem, but there's probably economic reasons for playing many arena shows instead (maybe this yields maximum publicity and revenue?).

I don't have the book handy to check, but I know that there's some interesting comments in 'U2 by U2' on the issue of arenas vs stadiums. I think that Bono is described as loving the "gladiatorial" / confrontational aspect of playing in stadiums, but that maybe others in the band (and their manager) aren't quite so enthusiastic.

Morgoth321 said:
I don't have the book handy to check, but I know that there's some interesting comments in 'U2 by U2' on the issue of arenas vs stadiums. I think that Bono is described as loving the "gladiatorial" / confrontational aspect of playing in stadiums, but that maybe others in the band (and their manager) aren't quite so enthusiastic.

I'm going to read this book again. I flew through it so fast the first time around. I don't remember these comments.

Morgoth321 said:
As long as U2 remain a 'working' band (ie not playing greatest hits shows), I don't think their approach is going to change. In other words, it'll remain what McGuinness would probably call a 'logical and economical business model' or some claptrap. In other words, it'll be:

a) Always release the new album in the autumn, sorry, 'fourth quarter', even if it's ready in the spring.
b) Always play large indoor arenas in N America, and play lots of shows (ideally in the spring and / or autumn).
c) Always play stadiums in Europe. If they can be arsed to venture further afield, always play stadiums there too, as it cuts down on the number of shows and (presumably) the travelling between venues.

I guess U2's management are still wary of US stadiums, even ten years after Popmart. The thing is, I've no doubt that they could sell out US stadiums no problem, but there's probably economic reasons for playing many arena shows instead (maybe this yields maximum publicity and revenue?).

well that cant be right, U2 played arena's during the european leg of the elevation tour?

so they dont "always" play stadiums in europe

Morgoth321 said:

In general acts, avoid stadiums in the US now. Very few artists tour stadiums now. Economically they are hard to sell, and many of the new enclosed stadiums have horrible sound.

KUEFC09U2 said:
well that cant be right, U2 played arena's during the european leg of the elevation tour?

so they dont "always" play stadiums in europe

If you want to be pedantic, the vast majority of the European Elevation shows were in arenas, but some were in fact outdoors (such as Slane, Berlin, Turin). I think that Elevation was a bit of a 'toe in the water' as far as touring goes, in that the band only toured N America and Europe, with a relatively stripped-down production. Since they were presumably successful in their reapplication for 'best band in the world', they felt more confident in the itinerary for Vertigo.

However, I still stand by my basic points about U2's strategy likely to follow the pattern established by the Vertigo tour. I'd be surprised to see them playing indoors in Europe again anytime soon.

good idea,but not very realistic
1.that's playing 20 times more shows, so bono's voice would be destroyed like during normal u2 tour
2.that means that u2 would come to croatia which is not nearly realistic

The more important question is "What will they play?", not so much "Where will they play?" this regarding especially interesting, rotating setlists. The best concept – and this concept, we will not get cloer to before we have the sounds and songs of the new album – would be to play a good mix bewtween arena and stadium shows. This said, I'd vote for this concept everywhere, opting not for an "only" European stadiums shows' leg. And I'd love to see thema start and end in Dublin ...

Leg 1 Europe: 30 dates plus
Mix of arena and (some, a lot of) stadiums

Leg 2 USA: 50 dates plus
Mix of arena and (some, a lot of) stadiums

Leg 3 Australasia & South America: 30 dates plus
Mix of arena and (a lot of) stadiums

Leg 4 Europe: 5 dates plus
Arena shows as the Finale

1 leg in the USA and 2 legs in Europe ? Not happening.

And even though people sneer at the thought I'd be willing to bet the next DVD is "Live in New York".

coolian2 said:
A lot of people here basing their opinions on stadium gigs on the clusterfuck that was Hawaii....

not me.. I am basing mine on past stadiums shows from POP, ZOO TV. IMO, it just not the same feeling as a arena show.. :|

on a side note tho.. it sure isn't going to keep from going to shows if they are stadium or not. I will be there no matter what!.. Preferences tho are not for these.. I will go thru whatever hell I have to for a stadium show.. Cuz it's nothing but GA for me baby.. :D

Last edited:
unico said:
i didn't quite feel any sort of lack of intimacy with the stadium show. i stood in the very same GA spot for both a stadium and an arena show (one person from the rail) and honestly i wouldn'tve even noticed whether or not there was a roof over my head.

now, that's obviously different for people in the seats. but for someone who always was, and always will be GA (tickets are cheaper and i love the reunions and community building that happens in line) i'd be content with either show.

To be fair, I have only seen U2 in a stadium once, and that was in 92 and we were near the very last row of the place. I still have great memories of that show. It's all in how you approach it.

Since then I've seen them in GA all but three times, so I've experienced it from all angles and I agree, it wouldn't matter a bit to me where the show is. As long as it's a U2 show I'm happy (of course I'll most likely be in GA but that's besides the point here :wink: ).

I have seen three U2 concerts here in Australia, and they were all outdoor stadium gigs. Now maybe my hearing has been affected by loud music over the years, but the shows whilst being great weren't THAT loud. I was surprised when I was in the "Inner Zone" for Vertigo, it was probably louder up in the stands, though. With stadiums sometimes the acoustics can be crappy too. Now unless I travel overseas there's no way I'm going to see U2 playing arena-sized venues living in Australia, and that's a shame because I'd like to see them indoors to compare the shows.

Back
Top Bottom