U2's Thirteenth Album: Aimless Uncertainty?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder what convinced U2 they're a pop group. They're very clearly on the rock side of pop/rock.

I swear, we get a guy who's done ONE song for One Direction and suddenly U2's a boyband??

In that case...Larry's the heart throb, Edge is the shy bashful one, Bono's the reassuring older brother, and Adam is the bad boy.

My reaction too. While the Vertigo Tour had some great setlists, I just remember having an empty feeling compared to the Elevation Tour. Though I will say that U2 made up for it a bit on the Chicago 9/21/05 show. That was a really good show, but still fell short to the feeling in the room they had on Elevation.

I think you mean 9/20 :wink:

I swear, we get a guy who's done ONE song for One Direction and suddenly U2's a boyband??

In that case...Larry's the heart throb, Edge is the shy bashful one, Bono's the reassuring older brother, and Adam is the bad boy.

No dewey-eyed youngsters. :sexywink:

U2 - U + ME = US CALCULUS [DREAM MAKER CLUB MIX] LYRICS

It's actually 2Ge+her lol.
2gether (band) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And YouTube doesn't have it available. Luckily I do. Thanks, tumblr.

Lily Luna's World

A pop group is not necessarily a boy band; you're being obtuse.

We really need to analyze the scowl that Edge has on his face = more hitz and less experimentation.
hee hee
aawww, Edge :therethere:

Also Edge looks sunburned, don't even SAY you guys were in Nice when the fandom is imploding. :angry: :wink:
:lol:

:hmm:
Edge could have taken this rock star's advice while recording in London

".... come and get a tan standing in the English rain...."
john lennon

:hmm: though I'm not sure you cold get a sunburn

:wink:

Edge was probably watching Vichot take Stage 8 of Paris-Nice. Maybe it'll be the impetus for a new direction since Tour De France is already take. U2 seem like more of Giro band to me though.

Boy, certainly as a stall tactic, a best-of would have fit in this post-NLOTH slot pretty well. They pulled the trigger too soon on 18 Singles....

Ryan Tedder Can't Stop: Writing for U2, Elton John (and Everyone Else) While OneRepublic Enjoys Career Highs: Cover Story | Billboard

"and former tourmates U2 have just completed sessions with Tedder for their long-in-the-works 13th album."

Apparently Ryan Tedder has already recorded his sessions with U2?! Hmmm

After reading this a second time, you gotta wonder maybe Tedder's work with U2 in the studio is completed already??? If that's the case it makes sense they could be working with Epworth to mix everything???

After reading this a second time, you gotta wonder maybe Tedder's work with U2 in the studio is completed already??? If that's the case it makes sense they could be working with Epworth to mix everything???

:up: Pretty much.

With any luck, album #1 was the DM work and album #2 is the Tedder/Epworth sessions.

One in spring, one in fall? Or hell, both at once??? :drool:

If that's the case it makes sense they could be working with Epworth to mix everything???

Yeah, that's a really good point.

Looks like this will be their first ever record without Lillywhite, Eno, Lanois, or Flood. Every record they've made has had at least one of those guys. It'll be interesting to hear what they sound like with a completely new team.

I still hope they bring in Flood to mix it because they've never sounded as good as they do when they're in his hands.

Yeah, that's a really good point.

Looks like this will be their first ever record without Lillywhite, Eno, Lanois, or Flood. Every record they've made has had at least one of those guys. It'll be interesting to hear what they sound like with a completely new team.

I still hope they bring in Flood to mix it because they've never sounded as good as they do when they're in his hands.

:up:

I agree with Flood, it is my hope every time, also.

Since a moderator here took a personal attack on my character recently regarding my ability to apologize, I will be above that and say that I'm sorry if my comment offended you, though I still highly urge you to examine the above scenarios.

:\

Would've appreciated if you'd at least replied to my PM before this. But, fair enough. Being as tired of anything relating to Nick v gvox as I am, I was too quick to jump on you when I thought you were continuing the antagonism. So I, too, apologize for being unfair.

U2's choice of collaborators has slipped just a bit since 1984. Imagine if they'd worked with Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis or Mutt Lange ... that's basically what they're doing now.

Given the praise heaped on this hack by Iovine, I wonder if this terrible idea goes back to him.

And yes, it's a terrible idea. It might not lead to a terrible result, but it's a bad idea.

Desmond Child is up next.

Though that headline is disturbing. Writing for U2 -- though the article doesn't mention him actually writing, just that "sessions were completed."

I'm guessing it was a Will.I.Am situation. They had some poppy single they wanted to expose to a set of younger ears for some feedback. Maybe he helped them with the structure of an existing song or something, but I doubt there was any unique "writing" between U2 and Tedder. Tweaking, I'd guess. In any event, I'd be surprised if he has more than one credit on the album - two at most.

And although I am not a fan of One Republic or any of that kind of blatant pop with a rock sheen, they have at least three or four songs better than anything Will.I.Am ever shat out (or totally regurgitated). Counting Stars is a solid pop song. You don't see U2 bringing in Adam Levine or just any ol' pop/rpck hack. I mean, fuck...that might be the end for me.

God, I hope all recording sessions are done...I hope mixing is going on...I hope we get an album soon...I hope that we can just all get along...:hug:

Diemen...you're doing a tremendous job...:hi5:

Nick66...mikal...:grouphug:...my apologies for jumping on the Fisher train of despair

Clayton's Kitten...I was onboard for a surprise release for a long time...but I have to admit, this whole, current album cycle has made me...:crazy:

I'm guessing it was a Will.I.Am situation. They had some poppy single they wanted to expose to a set of younger ears for some feedback. Maybe he helped them with the structure of an existing song or something, but I doubt there was any unique "writing" between U2 and Tedder. Tweaking, I'd guess. In any event, I'd be surprised if he has more than one credit on the album - two at most.

And although I am not a fan of One Republic or any of that kind of blatant pop with a rock sheen, they have at least three or four songs better than anything Will.I.Am ever shat out (or totally regurgitated). Counting Stars is a solid pop song. You don't see U2 bringing in Adam Levine or just any ol' pop/rpck hack. I mean, fuck...that might be the end for me.

Yeah, that's what I figure the case is too -- just the headline is jarring, and doesn't even reflect what was written in the article.

Agreed on the bottom part. Counting Stars is a good pop song.

Yeah, if Adam Levine was ever involved with U2 I wouldn't be able to call myself a U2 fan any more.

One Republic are indeed much better than William, but that's not saying much. It's like saying you'd rather bang your aunt than your mom.

I'm starting to think that there really won't be two albums: I remember Adam saying that they had their 12 songs, probably all mixed by Danger Mouse. I'm starting to think half of them were crap, with about 5-6 "mixed and ready to go" but the other half are now being tweaked by Epworth/ Tedder.

I sure hope they're done with their tweaking.

One Republic are indeed much better than William, but that's not saying much. It's like saying you'd rather bang your aunt than your mom.

Yeah. It's relative. No pun intended.

I just feel a lot of "OMG Will.I.Am is working with U2, everyone panic!" here and I don't think we have to be worried about anything like that.

Also, I loved the Reznor quote upthread. Fucking get your shine box, Jimmy.

Clayton's Kitten...I was onboard for a surprise release for a long time...but I have to admit, this whole, current album cycle has made me...:crazy:

I think that's probably the point. Nothing about this cycle has been normal or predictable.

This is my 3rd album where I actually "paid attention". For Bomb I really didn't care much how/what they did, as I was slowly making my way back into the fandom with fresh eyes. (I'd grown up on them, hated them during ATYCLB, and was willing to try again with Bomb. )

For NLOTH? I got pissed at them in fall of 08 and was ready to turn my fan card in again. But I was super psyched by spring of 09 and even tolerated the flood of leak puns because I was so ready to just get the damn thing.

This time? I'm eerily calm about the entire process. No tantrums, no freakouts, no panic. Which is hilarious given that it's the most unpredictable album cycle to date. :lol:

Go figure.

Also, I loved the Reznor quote upthread. Fucking get your shine box, Jimmy.

looks to me like they're the best of pals

1389474979000-XXX-BEATS-MUSICreznor-lovine-1355.jpg

Really, huh? Source?

You mean other bands where the drummer is lucky to even be in a band in the first place, like, oh, Coldplay's? Or where they regularly bring in session guys to do albums and tours?

In U2, which is a 1/4 (formerly 1/5) democracy, if one member doesn't like it, it's probably not going to happen. It's not about Larry, per se, it's about any other 3 members having respect for any one of them.

I hate to raise the subject but Rush would be a similar situation. Do they even have lyrics without their drummer? Woops, no album. Neil's pissed, amirite? lol

Well sure it's possible, and one of them being admitted to rehab for substance abuse would also be another perfect credible reason, wouldn't it? Doesn't mean it's so..

Yes, ok...significance? Notably as far as I recall the rest of the band (Edge noted?) had something to say about this as well.

But..I thought he was the one that only wanted to do pop hits? Is this what it's supposed to be all about? So confused..

And fucking rightly so. But wait - they actually did release that! I thought he had Ultimate Veto Power? oops

See (again): Peart, Neil

Larry hates hip hop. And jokes. No laughter allowed.

There was actually a Adam/Larry veto, a mere two times in their history. Not really your typical tyrant drummer.

Funny with a vote this powerful somehow they managed to slip by entire 90's past him.

Whatever U2 do, I hope they don't take Jimmy Iovine's advice. Here's an anecdote from Trent Reznor:

"We were on Interscope. And I have had Jimmy Iovine, the president on that label, come up to me on every record from [2005's] With Teeth onwards saying I should do some sort of urban thing — it was Timbaland for awhile, then it was Pharrell for awhile — because 'that's how you sell records.'
"The idea seemed so preposterous and insulting. I'm not talking 'Let's go make a record with Dr. Dre' because that would be kind of cool. What he's talking about is making your record sound like what's on the radio, whether it's appropriate or not. And that's what Chris did.
"I think that when somebody who is respected like he is goes that route, it sends the message that it's OK to give up any kind of core values you had to be the fashion of the moment. I don't think it's OK. I think it's harmful."

Iovine cheered on Bomb 1.0 release.

Didn't happen.

He also loved Every breaking wave which has yet to be released.

Let's not go crazy over his influence.

Tedder guy is just the extra guy on the last production tweakings, like Epworth. No one said they're writing together.

To quote Bono, it seemed that "God was in the room" during pretty much every Elevation Tour I have watched. The one I saw in Vancouver was amazing. Something about the spirit they had then....almost a resurgence from the aftermath of their disappointment with Popmart, and now back to arenas. "After the flood, all the colors came out," was most definitely the vibe of that tour. Was a special time to be a U2 fan. Vertigo on the other hand seemed more corporate, and more political. "Streets" lost a bit of its etherealness with the Africa tie in, as great as the intention was. Just my opinion of course.

Very well put, I enthusiastically associate myself with these comments.

Back
Top Bottom