U2's success: Is it better than you expected or dreamed of 2 years ago?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikal

Blue Crack Addict
Yes I am capable of starting a "U2 related" thread.

So 2 years ago, U2's future was kind of cloudy. Many of us nervous about what their new album would sound like. Many of us wondering if U2 was done or almost done. Yet, being U2 fans, we set certain expectations of how successful the new album and tour would be.

Did "All That You Can't Leave Behind" and the "Elevation Tour" meet your expectations and dreams?

------------------
"YOU CAN'T HURT ME! NOT WITH MY CHEESE HELMET!"

[This message has been edited by mikal (edited 12-28-2001).]

Personally, U2 surpassed my expectations. Yet, this past year hasn't hit me yet. It still seems so sureal how big they are right now!

------------------

Yes!

This album and tour dragged me back into U2 full force!

It was more than I hoped for actually.

biggrin.gif

------------------
My Lair

Was their future ever that 'cloudy'? Really?

I never expected the new album to be anything less than interesting. And as for the success, well it's nice obviously, but it's more the band's business than mine.

I mean I'm sure REM don't sell that well anymore, but it doesn't suddenly mean their music sucks.

Well, I wasn't a big fan a couple of years ago, but I distinctly remember that there was a lot of this "does anyone care about U2 anymore?" vibe in media... and they seem to get a lot of (sometimes grudging) admiration for pulling off a Lazarus-like rebirth. And it's not as if REM and U2 are judged by the same standard, even: I mean, yeah, REM aren't selling as much as they used to, but then they never really seemed to be a band hell-bent on the world domination. But when it's a band with a U2-sized ambition who aren't happy just to sit quietly in their corner, then it's gonna be tagged with a slump whenever it "underperforms".

Even though I loved U2 two years ago, I honestly thought there days as the biggest band in the world were over. I figured the new album would sell like Pop, the singles wouldn't really get played on the radio and the tour wouldn't garner nearly as much attention as tours past. Not only did the album sell great, the singles play on the radio and the tour generated more excitment than ever, but I loved the album and tour so much! So yes, it has been better than I ever expected.

------------------
Live As If You'll Die Tomorrow, Dream As If You'll Live Forever!

Originally posted by Hitman:
Not only did the album sell great, the singles play on the radio and the tour generated more excitment than ever, but I loved the album and tour so much
same here
I expected them to make an album that I would (at least) like a lot
I didn't expect them to do this well

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by Kieran McConville:
I mean I'm sure REM don't sell that well anymore, but it doesn't suddenly mean their music sucks.

No. That wasn't my question.

------------------

Yes they've done INSANELY well
biggrin.gif

I certainly became a ginormous fan since ATYCLB.

------------------
~*Mona*~ Secretary of Scandalization
97% compatible with Bono

"Bono was embraced as rock's latest mystic leader, a sort of holy cross between the Morrisons, Jim and Van"

"There were moments when Bono even earned cheers for simply loosening his shirt"

"Listen....I could be a genius if I weren't so lazy"

I knew "our" band was going to do it this time, I just had a feeling. Winning THREE grammies was more than I expected! When everyone came to their feet at the Sunset Arena on opening night, and just stayed there for the whole night, that success was ensured!

With all the crap on the radio and on MTV, I never thought ATYCLB would go 3X Platinum. I never thought they'd have the biggest tour of 2001 by a long shot. I'd seen great albums by longtime great bands flop in the US, and I didn't know if U2 could pull it off. I am surprised that they were able to do what they did, considering the state of music here. And I couldn't be happier. I'm more a U2 believer now than before, especially with all of you here to get support from.

So, to answer the question, it's much better than I expected. It's a triumph for our boys, and, just maybe in some ways for their fans. Well, I can dream can't I?
tongue.gif

------------------
Change is the only constant

O BTW, if IALW is released as a single, well, I'll die happy and I'll be convinced that Bono is indeed some kind of holy being
biggrin.gif

------------------
97% compatible with Bono

"Bono was embraced as rock's latest mystic leader, a sort of holy cross between the Morrisons, Jim and Van"

"I used to gaze out my classroom window and dream And then go home and listen to Ray sing "I believe to my soul" after school" ~Van Morrison~

Originally posted by WildHonee:
O BTW, if IALW is released as a single, well, I'll die happy and I'll be convinced that Bono is indeed some kind of holy being
biggrin.gif

It will never be released as a single. They will not release songs as singles that Bono can't sing every night, and he can't sing that song every night. Too much of a strain on his voice. That is why "Red Hill Mining Town" never got released, even though they filmed a video and everything. Bono decided at the last minute that he couldn't do it.

That is my favorite song of ATYCLB too. I am so glad that I got to hear it when they played Toronto in May. It was an unexpected treat!!!

My favorite part "Tuuuuurrrnnnn Iiiiiittttt Oooooonnnnnn, Turn it on, TURN ME ON" MMMMMmmmmnnnn,

------------------
Official Dog-Walker of the ScottPhisto Society

I don't mean to be arrogant, but ...I do feel that we are meant to be one of the great groups. - Bono, Rolling Stone, 1981

Originally posted by WildHonee:
biggrin.gif

If IALW is released as a single, it will be the best decision anyone in the U2 camp has made all year. Not just a wonderful song, also a great big fuck-you to people who think U2 only do 'anthems'.

Originally posted by Kieran McConville:
If IALW is released as a single, it will be the best decision anyone in the U2 camp has made all year. Not just a wonderful song, also a great big fuck-you to people who think U2 only do 'anthems'.
HOO-AH!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
97% compatible with Bono

"I used to gaze out my classroom window and dream And then go home and listen to Ray sing "I believe to my soul" after school" ~Van Morrison~

--Barricades self inside flame resistant cage-----

I thought Pop had really ruined them and they were seriously on the go-down. They had changed so much and had gone from something that I thought was great to something I really didn't like at all. I had avoided them so long that I was not even aware that they were working on a new album and didn't care at that point. So when I heard BD it literally hit me from out of the blue, what a surprise, U2 was back and they were- gulp- good again! ATYCLB surpassed my dreams of a U2 'comeback' and Elevation was more than I could have hoped for in a tour. I didn't have any expectations 2 years ago because I had given up in U2 but leave it to those guys to come through when they needed it- and I needed it. It was a bigger surprise to me because I wasn't sitting around wondering, it just jumped up and bit me, and may it never let go!

The answer to your question- yes.

------------------
"Walk On, stay safe tonight"

I was pleasantly surprised.

To be honest, I always felt they'd have a huge tour. No doubt about it. If for no other reason than the fact they have a lot of older fans who would snap up the tickets in no time. I thought all along they would sell out most, if not all, the venues.

The thing that really surprised me were the Grammy Awards. I don't think many of us expected them to pick up any of the 3 awards they were nominated, much less pick up all of them.

The radio station I listen to here plays IALW quite frequently. I think it should be released as a single. And as for Bono singing it...they played it quite a bit on the first leg, if I remember correctly...

-sula

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
The radio station I listen to here plays IALW quite frequently. I think it should be released as a single. And as for Bono singing it...they played it quite a bit on the first leg, if I remember correctly...

-sula
!!! *crosses fingers*

------------------
97% compatible with Bono

Back
Top Bottom