U2's songs about cities!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fluffy123

The Fly
Just wondering what everyone thought were U2 songs that were specifically related to a city, or a place. I'm thinking away from the obvious ones such as 'Miami' and 'New York' here. I'd be interested to see what songs you personally have interpreted about being about a city, or a place, and why you think this is.

I'd be interested to read what you think! :)

'Running To Stand Still' was written about the growing heroin problem in Dublin at the time. Fairly common knowledge tho' to be honest, not just what I thought it was about.

Last edited:
Umm... Where The Streets Have No Name, In God's Country, One Tree Hill, Red Hill Mining Town, Promenade, With A Shout, Van Diemen's Land, Angel of Harlem (describes a busy city along wioth a love story), Heartland (amazing descriptions of a landscape), A Sort Of Homecoming, Zoo Station, The Unforgettable Fire (to an extent...), City Of Blinding Lights, Vertigo, Discotheque, The Playboy Mansion, The Ocean, and Stranger In A Strange Land.

"Bad" is about Dublin; Bono mentions its meaning during U2's Live Aid performance.

Aye, very true. I'll start a thread there. So this one can be deleted, my mistake- still trying to get used to the size of this forum! hehe. Sorry.

I'm going to go ahead and move it to the general discussion forum where it can get the attention it deserves. ;)

cheers,
sula

I always thought Walk to the Water was set in Dublin. Same with Shadows and Tall Trees.

i know that COBL is about NYC...anyway for me its far more a TOKYO / SGANGHAI feeling...the eastern flow of the sound has more of a ZEN feeling

timothius said:
One Tree Hill to a large extent is about an enermously important landmark in Auckland, New Zealand.

And what a song it is.

And One Tree Hill no longer has its one tree. :sad:

I hate that US cities got most of the songs for them, like u2 wants to kiss thier asses:
Miami, New York, Cit of Blinding Lights, Angel of Harlem.

And when it comes to European cities, then the thema of the song is about drugs(of course with exceptions)

But, Miss Sarajevo is also about some bad thing-War in Bosnia.

Why isn't there a song like Bruxelles

Got the Eu parliament
Petrol's cheap...

Or whatever.

Pero said:
I hate that US cities got most of the songs for them, like u2 wants to kiss thier asses:
Miami, New York, Cit of Blinding Lights, Angel of Harlem.

:applaud:

Well Belfast gets a mention in Stay, plus we've Sunday Bloody Sunday and Please et al talking about up here but not very joyous is it:|

I see Zoo Station as being about Berlin,at least in part,it is even named after the train station there.

Back
Top Bottom