U2's Saddest Song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2' saddest moments in song...

While there are several sad U2 songs, the live versions of two songs are very sad for me to hear. First, there is One from "Popmart in Mexico City", where Bono's already called out to "Hutch", and his voice cracks when he changes the lyrics to "Have you come her for forgiveness...well I can't raise the dead...

It's true emotion. It happens again in a live CD I have from the concert in Genoa, Italy. When Bono sings the first two verses of Wake Up Dead Man, he's clearly choked up and crying. He nearly loses it completely when he says "Would you put a word good in for me?" I know this was around the time of his Father's passing.

Those two moments in song are sad, and since the songs are sad to begin with, that makes it that much more tearful when you can tell Bono is at a very sad, vulnerable state in the midst of a concert.

Anyone else notice these two incidents?

Re: U2' saddest moments in song...

beLIEve said:
First, there is One from "Popmart in Mexico City", where Bono's already called out to "Hutch", and his voice cracks when he changes the lyrics to "Have you come her for forgiveness...well I can't raise the dead...

It's true emotion. It happens again in a live CD I have from the concert in Genoa, Italy. When Bono sings the first two verses of Wake Up Dead Man, he's clearly choked up and crying. He nearly loses it completely when he says "Would you put a word good in for me?" I know this was around the time of his Father's passing.

Ohhh...:sad: :( :hug: :bono:...

I've never heard those live versions...but just from the way you've described them, they certainly sound heartbreaking...

Angela

Stuck In A Moment

Kite

One

With or Without You

Beautiful songs, they always make me cry.

There really are no "sad" U2 songs. There are emotional U2 songs such as Running to Stand Still, Please, and Mothers --- but these aren't intended to be 'sad' or to make the listener feel depressed. All theses songs are masterpieces.

I can see why someone would say that Love is Blindess is sad though, although that too is so powerful, more then 'sad'.

When you see people crying or whatever at a U2 show, I would hope they are crying simply because of what they are witnessing, not because they are actually saddened.

EDIT: with songs like Mothers, I understand that this is about a very sensitive issue therefore people might feel associate it with 'sad' feelings.

I understand why people interpret songs as sad, but personally I dont.

Last edited:
After watching U2: Go Home and the nice Irish lilt Bono gave the song "Wake Up Dead Man", I'm beginning to think THAT is the saddest U2 song I've heard. It is VERY plaintive, especially the way he sang it in that concert.:yes:

Mothers of the Disappeared-version from when the mothers were actually onstage the "we hear there hearts beat and still there hearts beat" line I sobbed.

RTSS
Love is Blindness (yeah NEVER listen to this during a breakup it will just make you nuts)

I find it interesting many people have listed electrical storm I would not have thought of that but come to think of it whenever Bono is saing baby please don;t cry i usually feel emotional not so much sad.

Kite
hands too is very moving

Back
Top Bottom