U2's Relationship With Their Fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DevilsShoes

War Child
What do you think about the relationship between the band and their fans? Do you think it's a close relationship, a special relationship? Do you think it's improved over the years or declined? Is it a deep, private connection you feel inside, something that speaks to you like nothing else? Something which bonds you to the band and other fans, who are likeminded and who you can relate to, who have felt exactly the same thing that you have?

U2 mention their relationship with their fans often, Edge in particular talks about how loyal they are, around the time that the Australian shows on the Vertigo tour were cancelled Bono gave an interview in which he was amazed at how kind and concerned the fans had been, that they didn't care about the tour but just wanted to know whether everything was going to be OK, he said the bond is very special.

I often think that U2 seem very close to and fond of their American fans and New Yorkers in particular. Larry has pretty much confirmed this in U2 by U2, they all own places over there and seem to look at the country as a second home.

Anyway what's you view on this unique relationship?

I always felt that they were in touch with the fans. Possibly because I've read so much about them being wide eyed young fans themselves. I think the band try to respect, appreciate and consider the fans.
I feel a bond with the band but don't really feel a huge bond with other fans. I like it to be more personal.
When we went to the recent-ish concert in Melbourne I was heartbroken when the sound was terrible. If we sat we could barely see the guys and if we stood then we couldn't see the screens. I know it's not the bands fault but I felt a little used, we paid $199 each, it was my event of the year. It made me angry that they took my hard earned cash but standing at the front were competition winners and people that got free tickets from companies.
Well that's my rant over.:rant:

U2 are not very close to their fans at all. Every other band I follow even half as closely as I follow U2 has a much better relationship with their fans. For example, just a few days ago, Crowded House did a free live broadcast of one of their rehearsal sessions - 2.5 hours of music for any fan, anywhere in the world, to enjoy. Or Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy goes to great effort to vary setlists not only from night to night, but from prior sets played in each city, and when filming DVDs, he seeks to make the setlist almost totally different to past DVDs so that fans don't get repeat tracks (meanwhile, U2 have six consecutive appearances of Streets and counting). Or Porcupine Tree's Steven Wilson, who goes to great efforts to satisfy fans who, like him, have an enthusiasm for collector's editions, vinyl, and rarities. And so on and so forth.

All U2 seem to do is talk a bit about their fans. I see very little interaction beyond a bit of meet-and-greet after some shows, and occasionally pulling someone onstage to play guitar. U2 don't even seem interested in the opinions of their most dedicated fans, those who aren't fairweather fans, those who support U2 through thick and thin - just last tour, we had Bono yelling at a fan requesting something different. It is part of the reason why I am increasingly disillusioned with U2. Their musical output is declining, both in quantity and quality, and their interaction with their fans is poor to say the least.

Last edited:
They possibly cannot make 70,000 fans happy. Theres always going to be someone not happy over something.

I have to say though the 3 experiences I have had with this band were incredible.

From what I have seen so far I truely believe it's a close relationship. I have seen and heard and read some wonderful things about the interaction with fans. For me, they are really down-to-earth guys who love to interact with people, talk, communicate, unlike many other artists who care much less about their fans.

But I also think that U2 have some of the most spoilt fans in the world.

Again, it's impossible to please everyone and some people just love to bitch.

Concerts are not for die-hard fans but for the people who come and enjoy a show. Some folks who either go to dozens of concerts or spend their whole days in front of the computer reading setlists are not representing the public but a very very small minority, but they tend to consider themselves the centre of the universe.

It's self-righteous to believe that the band should listen to some fan's opinions. On this board, people cannot agree on many things, so whom should U2 listen to? That's ridiculous, fans don't own the band, not even those who consider themselves die-hard or whatever, they are not better fans than anyone else but think they have the right to be constantly bitching and demanding.

Right on, last unicorn....

someone will ALWAYS complain about something- U2 represent many things-but they are brilliant musicians and singers-that is #1. They could never ever make everyone happy- those that have to interject their "special" needs are being too idealistic.

I would bitch about concert ticket availability, though. But no matter how you slice it, there are too many fans and not enough tix to go around. I haven't even gotten to see them once, and that is still a goal for me.

If you see the lengths people like Pearl Jam and Dream Theater go to in order to please the fan base you wouldn't need to ask.

Their #1 concern appears to be to get as many new fans as possible by any means possible on each release and then use them as an excuse for the playing the same old sets

They are better businessmen than recording artists these days

Axver said:
U2 are not very close to their fans at all. Every other band I follow even half as closely as I follow U2 has a much better relationship with their fans. For example, just a few days ago, Crowded House did a free live broadcast of one of their rehearsal sessions - 2.5 hours of music for any fan, anywhere in the world, to enjoy. Or Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy goes to great effort to vary setlists not only from night to night, but from prior sets played in each city, and when filming DVDs, he seeks to make the setlist almost totally different to past DVDs so that fans don't get repeat tracks (meanwhile, U2 have six consecutive appearances of Streets and counting). Or Porcupine Tree's Steven Wilson, who goes to great efforts to satisfy fans who, like him, have an enthusiasm for collector's editions, vinyl, and rarities. And so on and so forth.

All U2 seem to do is talk a bit about their fans. I see very little interaction beyond a bit of meet-and-greet after some shows, and occasionally pulling someone onstage to play guitar. U2 don't even seem interested in the opinions of their most dedicated fans, those who aren't fairweather fans, those who support U2 through thick and thin - just last tour, we had Bono yelling at a fan requesting something different. It is part of the reason why I am increasingly disillusioned with U2. Their musical output is declining, both in quantity and quality, and their interaction with their fans is poor to say the least.

but commercially, they're more successful than ever. :shrug:

Axver said:

:up:

Axver said:

I don't see setlists having much to do with how close a band is with their fans at all. The live broadcast thing is cool and a nice thing to do for the fans. But setlist don't have shit to do with your relationship to your fans, unless of course you found a way to let fans control the setlists, but what a nightmare that would be.

Axver said:
Their musical output is declining, both in quantity and quality

hey ax, does this mean that you find achtung baby superior to htdaab?

that you find htdaab inferior to atyclb?

toscano said:
If you see the lengths people like Pearl Jam and Dream Theater go to in order to please the fan base you wouldn't need to ask.

Their #1 concern appears to be to get as many new fans as possible by any means possible on each release and then use them as an excuse for the playing the same old sets

They are better businessmen than recording artists these days

And new fans are a threat to "old" ones or what?
I don't understand. Aren't bands of a certain age allowed to attract new and/or young fans.
Or do some people think they own U2?

I think U2 has a great relationship of respect and love with their fans. Truth is that it’s a lot of fans with a lot of different tastes and opinions and with different feelings on what they think they should be receiving from the band. But overall I feel that the band when they make a record they try to make it as of better quality possible not only for themselves but for their fans to be proud of them when they get a new album out and they certainly try to please them a lot live coming up with fresh ideas and reinventing the older songs.

I think most of the time the band seems to be in sync to what their fans are feeling, like this past tour demanded for some older songs after so long and they did it, I think both band and fans were feeling it was time to bring them out, still in the end it's their songs, they are the ones who wrote it, they are the ones who are going to step on stage and play it and therefore it should be their choice.

U2 never got anywhere by listening to what others outside their very tight circle had to say about what they should and should not do. And no matter how big of a fan you are you're still not a personal friend and you don't really know them and what they might even need unless you are actually personal with them. Who's to say what's better for you than yourself. I do believe it's important to know what your fans want and keep them satisfied but still as far as I can tell with most successful bands they only get somewhere big by pleasing themselves first and having fun (and of course doing it very well and better than others), if you're having fun there's always going to be someone else who's going to share the feeling but you can't please everybody....

I too am tired of some older songs and I think by now some songs like Streets and One might be some kind of safety net for them and perform them to the most might be holding them back live and making it difficult for them to be more original and mind-blowing live (even though I think Vertigo Tour is a total success) but then again those are exactly the songs that come the closer to pleasing everybody no matter how many times they have been played. But that’s another subject....

Axver said:

Indeed. U2 won't play A Sort of Homecoming when I ring my bell anymore. Those bastards. I'm pretty sure they want all of their fans dead.

I really don't understand people equating still playing songs like Streets and One with disregarding their fans. I saw them live for the first time on the Vertigo tour and I was thrilled at actually being able to be a part of the live Streets experience that I had heard so much about. My sister desperately wanted to hear With Or Without You (it was her first concert, too), and she was so excited when they played it. Does that make us lesser fans? Should U2 completely disregard fans like us who've never had the chance to see them live just to please the small minority of people who've seen them dozens of times? I guess they should only care about their long-time, super-fans and not those who are a bit newer to the game...:shrug:

My personal experiences w/ U2 have been great. The first time I met Bono, he kept apologizing that he had to leave and could not stay and talk, and even asked us fans to meet him back at the hotel later in the afternoon. Even Sampson the bodyguard was waving us over to meet Bono b/c we were shy and didn't know whether it was appropriate.

On the tour, I went to several shows and had plenty of chances to meet everyone in the band just waiting at the loading docks before and after shows. Most times I passed on waiting around, but unless they were really late or the weather was shit, I'd hear later on that two or more of them stopped for the fans.

As for the setlists, I really don't care if U2 cares what the fans thinks. It's THEIR music and THEIR show. They could play two hours of only b-sides and I wouldn't complain. If they actually listened to every fan's opinion on setlists, they'd have to play for 7 hours straight or just not play at all. Honestly, I don't really see what setlists and U2 fans even have to do with each other. Setlists have NEVER been an area where U2 and fans interact. :scratch: Besides, for every Top 40 hit we may be sick of hearing, I can find 20 fans who have never seen a U2 show before and were super excited to year THAT song.

The only area I do wish they paid a little more attention to fans is when it comes to the GA procedures. I realize that this is not the band's job, it's the venues job, but I have met many more casual fans who were very put off by certain incidences at certain venues and these experiences will ultimately have a negative reflection on the band, whether that's fair or not. In a perfect world, I could see them hiring just ONE more person who would serve as a liaison between the venue and the band, just to make sure each others' policies are correctly communicated to the fans. For example, I went to multiple shows where the venue changed it's mind back and forth several times regarding permitting all cameras, no cameras, or certain cameras when the band's policy all along had been ANY camera without professional lenses. Does the venue listen to fans? No. But does the venue bother to check with U2's people? Not until they have thousands of people griping at them to do so.

Maybe this is way off, but I feel like some people think U2 should become a band like Phish in order to be 'good to' their fans. The wildly varied setlists, new versions of songs only available at certain concerts, freebie music widely available to be traded or on the internet. I think it's like comparing apples and oranges though - U2 isn't that kind of band, and they never have been. That doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't treating their fans well.

Well-said. As a diehard fan, I realize I might be pretty high-maintenance, but I'm not going to throw a snit when I'm not specifically catered to.

U2 is what U2 is. And for the most part, I accept that. Are there things I wish were different (ticket sales/GA, maybe some more setlist variety)? Sure. Am I going to stop being their fan because they don't answer to my every desire? Surely, you jest.

: waits for someone to say "don't call me Shirely" :

corianderstem said:
Surely, you jest.

: waits for someone to say "don't call me Shirely" :

airplane.jpg

I'm not.... And don't cally me Shirley.

I am not a fan of U2's fans, especially those online. :sexywink:

I won't go into any "horror stories" and I won't say I was innocent either, but I am surprised at the negativity at times. Fortunately, those of us who've been online for years have nicely outgrown that and seem to have a nice respect for each other. Maturity - it's a good thing! :D But I will say that I still see this negativity, sadly. And that's just human nature - no one can please everyone.

U2 fans are spoiled. We are. U2 have produced such high quality music that has been such a success for so long, that some fans have this sense of entitlement. The most infamous example was evident on the Boston DVD when fans - who still made it into the heart - failed to get their same spot (the spot that they felt was "theirs") night after night. It's little wonder U2 changed the rules on the Vertigo Tour.

Has U2 done as much for its fans over the years as some artists? Do they have to? Some of the artists that were mentioned in this thread that give out free releases are artists I never heard of! Clearly these growing artists are willing to do more to attract fans. U2 doesn't need to do this. If U2 were a new band coming up today, it might be different.

I do think U2 has allowed themselves to be controlled a bit too much by "corporations". They have special releases - at a very special price. They'll release singles, but have 3 versions of them, filled with remixes or live songs (gone are the numerous new songs we once received). And concert ticket prices have gone up dramatically. Hence, I do think U2 needs to pull away from that some. Look at their book-signing for example - those weren't fans getting autographs, those were clearly people in it for the $$, and U2 knew this (hence the various eBay comments band members wrote in the books). U2 needs to get away from the corporations and back to the basics in terms of their deals as well as their music.

On a personal note, I've only met one member and he was pleasant and fantastic. And I must say, so were the fans. We were all courteous and grateful. If more fans could be like this, perhaps U2's attitude would reflect that as well.

Then again, did I just create the "chicken and the egg" scenario? That is, are fans this way because of U2 or are U2 this way because of fans? Hmmm... :hmm:

Last edited:
Axver said:

U2 have done tons of free live radio specials, and TV specials, including the live concert from the ATYCLB promo tour and live from their studio for HTDAB. Much like Crowded House it probably has less to do with wanting to be closer to the fans than wanting free publicity. I don't think it's a coincidence that CH are offering this free music to their fans now, just like I don't think it was a coincidence U2 offered up live performances on the radio during their promo tours.

I don't think U2s static setlists during, well during their whole existance, is a sign of a lack of respect to their fans.

I've gotta disagree here as well. U2 are a huge band but if you have a look in the "Band meeting" forum they come across as some pretty down to earth guys. I'm sure it's not always easy to meet real fans when there's so much hype surrounding them, especially when they're on tour, but they seem to do what they can. I mean isn't there a few posts by people who were given rides in Bonos car and able to hear the new songs before the album came out?

As far as their musical output, I wish they were quicker and I'm I'm fine with the quality. I'm not sure why any sane fan would take offence to a band releasing what they want, when they want though.

Last edited:
Liesje said:

On the tour, I went to several shows and had plenty of chances to meet everyone in the band just waiting at the loading docks before and after shows. Most times I passed on waiting around, but unless they were really late or the weather was shit, I'd hear later on that two or more of them stopped for the fans.

:yes: I was pleasantly surprised that a band as big as they are would still take the time to meet fans outside the venue. I thought that was great.

doctorwho said:
I am not a fan of U2's fans, especially those online. :sexywink:

I won't go into any "horror stories" and I won't say I was innocent either, but I am surprised at the negativity at times. Fortunately, those of us who've been online for years have nicely outgrown that and seem to have a nice respect for each other. Maturity - it's a good thing! :D But I will say that I still see this negativity, sadly. And that's just human nature - no one can please everyone.

U2 fans are spoiled. We are. U2 have produced such high quality music that has been such a success for so long, that some fans have this sense of entitlement. The most infamous example was evident on the Boston DVD when fans - who still made it into the heart - failed to get their same spot (the spot that they felt was "theirs") night after night. It's little wonder U2 changed the rules on the Vertigo Tour.

Has U2 done as much for its fans over the years as some artists? Do they have to? Some of the artists that were mentioned in this thread that give out free releases are artists I never heard of! Clearly these growing artists are willing to do more to attract fans. U2 doesn't need to do this. If U2 were a new band coming up today, it might be different.

I do think U2 has allowed themselves to be controlled a bit too much by "corporations". They have special releases - at a very special price. They'll release singles, but have 3 versions of them, filled with remixes or live songs (gone are the numerous new songs we once received). And concert ticket prices have gone up dramatically. Hence, I do think U2 needs to pull away from that some. Look at their book-signing for example - those weren't fans getting autographs, those were clearly people in it for the $$, and U2 knew this (hence the various eBay comments band members wrote in the books). U2 needs to get away from the corporations and back to the basics in terms of their deals as well as their music.

On a personal note, I've only met one member and he was pleasant and fantastic. And I must say, so were the fans. We were all courteous and grateful. If more fans could be like this, perhaps U2's attitude would reflect that as well.

Then again, did I just create the "chicken and the egg" scenario? That is, are fans this way because of U2 or are U2 this way because of fans? Hmmm... :hmm:

:up:

Preach on, doc! :wink:

I don't think the band's relationship to the fans is bad at all. Do they strongly encourage bootlegging like Phish? No, but they're not high for every show, either. Do they give free recordings of every live performance to fan club members like Pearl Jam? No, but then again Pearl Jam's only fans are pretty much those of us who have stuck around since the early 1990s. Sure, the website sucks...but that's mainly due to good old fashioned nepotism, which is kind hard to get out of. Sure, they don't do some things that other bands (as previously mentioned, mainly bands that have much smaller fanbases and/or popularity) do, but that doesn't mean that the relationship with the fans is anything near "crap."

As far as setlists go, anyone familiar with this band knows that they have never had varied setlists. The beloved ZooTV tour--virtually the same night after night. PopMart--the only things that would change were Edge's karaoke. As far back as Boy era stuff, they've played pretty much static setlists. Does that mean that they had a bad relationship with the fans in 1980? We ask for fan-favorite rarities, and yet overlook the fact that this tour saw:

Electric Co.
Stories For Boys
An Cat Dubh
Into the Heart
The Ocean
Out Of Control
Party Girl
Gloria
The First Time
Discotheque
One Tree Hill
Miss Sarajevo
Running To Stand Still
Mothers of the Disappeared

...plus several Zoo and 00s faves. Not too shabby in my book.

The fact of the matter is yes, we are spoiled. We're used to getting top-quality material from this band, and so we want our high-quality expectations to be 100% met. Not quite fair.

Axver said:

You abviously know nothing about U2

LemonMelon said:

Indeed. U2 won't play A Sort of Homecoming when I ring my bell anymore. Those bastards. I'm pretty sure they want all of their fans dead.
:lmao:

But yeah, seriously, what gives?! :rant:

I think U2 have a good relationship with the fans - they acknowledge us and seem to genuinely appreciate us.

But they'd be fucking mad to take musical advice from us. They've done well enough thus far without doing everything we say.

I think some fans need to step away - stop listening to U2, stop reading/complaining about setlists etc for several months. The 'magic' has clearly left them, and they need to dream it up again. I have no doubt their fans, but when all you can do is complain about everything and you're bored at a live show, you need a break.

Back
Top Bottom