U2's Relationship With Their Fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ZOOTVTOURist said:

Again: Try to concentrate and read the last posting – and, oops, you'l have your answer. This would ease our communication ...:wink:

Oh no, believe me I read it, but it still doesn't answer my question.

Act like I'm dumb, spell it out for me... Please because anytime someone asks you something you talk around the subject. Just spell it out for us...

ZOOTVTOURist said:
I wait for another more radical, courageous step for them as artists. ... Then maybe you get the nuance between a general understanding and sharing, in what @Axver feels inside, and the fact, that there is a (professional) fan-interaction between the band and its clients. In the end we talk about artists and audience, but in the end we talk also about a business thing being part of the music industry, which U2 run very clever.:|

Wow, some mixture of opinion here! Personally, I think that U2 have a great relationship with their fans. The fanbase is unlike that of a lot of other bands I follow. I think that while, sure the setlist and merchandise/live options maybe be limited, that doesn't really get in the way of the spiritual connection between the 80000 people screaming every night and the 4 guys on stage playing their hearts out. All of you probably know that feeilng of being part of something so much bigger than you. I feel this especially at U2 concerts. I mean its a crowd thing, yes, but U2 capitalise on that. And the relationship between U2 and their fans aslo comes, very intimately, from their studio tracks. U2 makes music that speaks to you directly, and powerfully. So while other bands may have a younger, fresher more down to earth approach to their fanbase in terms of live material etc, U2 have a human to human connection that I haven't really experienced with any other of my favourite bands. Anyway, they can't please everyone. They have a comercial ambition and an enormous fanbase around the world that will always prevent them from making the same decisions that smaller, younger bands make in regards to their hardcore fans.

ZOOTVTOURist said:
Originally posted by ZOOTVTOURist
I wait for another more radical, courageous step for them as artists. ... Then maybe you get the nuance between a general understanding and sharing, in what @Axver feels inside, and the fact, that there is a (professional) fan-interaction between the band and its clients. In the end we talk about artists and audience, but in the end we talk also about a business thing being part of the music industry, which U2 run very clever.

Yes that's a great quote and all, but like I've asked you before what do you want? Because honestly, that's what your posts come down to...

MANY have found the 3D movie to be the next couageous step, you didn't, so give us something.

So far you just speak in whines and moans, and honestly it's getting old. You don't really offer solutions, facts, or anything of substance...

ZOOTVTOURist said:

Again: Try to concentrate and read the last posting – and, oops, you'l have your answer. This would ease our communication ...:wink:

I don't think we're that dumb that we need your constant reminders of how to read posts and what to concentrate on, or how to communicate.

Besides, you constantly bump old topics just to add your (mostly negative) opinion. That's lame.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Yes that's a great quote and all, but like I've asked you before what do you want? Because honestly, that's what your posts come down to...

MANY have found the 3D movie to be the next couageous step, you didn't, so give us something.

So far you just speak in whines and moans, and honestly it's getting old. You don't really offer solutions, facts, or anything of substance...
completely agree. this guy still hasnt explained what he's on about in his criticism of U23D, complaining about the anonymity of the crowd and whatnot. it's actually quite funny.

A couple more points:

U2 is a "superband" and for a band their "size" they have a un-matched relationship with their fans. You think the Stones come out everynight and meet fans? I can't really name another band of their size that interacts like U2 does.

Hardcore fans wanting "more" as in setlist variation, creativity, etc.. has NOTHING to do with U2's "relationship" with the fans. I would not want "fans" dicating how an album sounds, what songs to play in a concert or what direction the band should take. That is U2/Producers job.

Chrisedge said:
A couple more points:

U2 is a "superband" and for a band their "size" they have a un-matched relationship with their fans. You think the Stones come out everynight and meet fans? I can't really name another band of their size that interacts like U2 does.

Hardcore fans wanting "more" as in setlist variation, creativity, etc.. has NOTHING to do with U2's "relationship" with the fans. I would not want "fans" dicating how an album sounds, what songs to play in a concert or what direction the band should take. That is U2/Producers job.

Actually The Stones from what I've read from their diehard fans is that they are very friendly. Especially Charlie, Keith & Ronnie. Ronnie Wood has art shows (painter) and fans attend those all the time to speak with Ronnie, who is more than open to talk art/music. Not sure about Mick though..

I do give props to U2 being such humble proffesional musicans. Its important to to take the time & show respect to the fans. Without them your nothing. Giving time before/after shows to sign autographs or chat is cool of U2, especially with how big they are.

I saw a band once at a small bar/club and they set up a backstage with fold-up walls to let "selected" people in to hang out and such. Now talk about trying to be a rock star and look like jerks to the 200 people who saw you play.

Chrisedge said:
A couple more points:

Word.

Jagger, mccartney, madonna etc. don't stand on the steps of a recording studio or give fans lifts home. they disappear into their own worlds, recording albums in studios in their stately homes. i honestly think that U2 still have a punk ethos at heart that prevents them from disappearing totally up their own arse. I think they often reflect on the ridiculousness of being a rock star and how easy it is to live a completely unreal life. This is also reflected in how low their ticket prices are in comparison to acts like Elton John and Madonna. I honestly don't think they would ever expect people to pay £200 for a ticket. Also, I think that they have a "Dublin" thing, whereby their mates and peers growing up will probably still take the piss. Bono isn't very good at being a rock star and it shows. Onstage he often looks awkward, I noticed in many Vertigo shows that the classic rock star poses don't come natural to him. Almost as though he feels like a charlatan who's gonna get found out for being a bit of a "prat"! His relationship with his Dad probably fostered this feeling from a very young age, there's nothing like family to bring you down to earth. Ironically enough, the coolest Bono has ever looked as a rock star and the most natural he's ever felt as a rock star for me was when he was in character as the Fly! Around the same time Adam got into the "life" too, which probably says quite a lot about that period.

But for me the real test of my relationship with the band is that I feel that they have never insulted my intelligence as artists.

I do wish that they would acknowledge the desire for live shows though. I honestly believe that this next tour we may well see "bootlegs" being sold via their new website. Last tour it was mooted, but now I think the time is right...

Last edited:
ZOOTVTOURist said:
Never thought, this might happen with U2 and its frontman, who 20 years ago sat down on stairs and played some tunes on guitar for fans waiting outside. These days are over.

If he tried to do that now, it would be a chaos of people still trying to push and shove their way up to him.

"Bono! Bono! Can you sign this????"

"Bono, I want a picture!!!!!"

"BONO, PAY ATTENTION TO ME!!!"

Chrisedge said:
A couple more points:

ChrisEdge-

Love your concrete thinking and how you make your points ever so succinctly..

Bravo.

<>

Chrisedge said:
A couple more points:

I COMPLETELY agree :up:

Axver's comparisons between U2 and bands that aren't even close in stature and are far less popular is ridiculous...it's far easier for smaller bands to communicate with their fans, and there is less pressure on these smaller bands as well...I think U2 has a great relationship with the fans, and Bono is the main contributer to this relationship...when he meets completely random fans, he treats them almost as acquaintances, listens to them and patiently converses...he even interrupts his schedule to meet with fans...I can't say this for many other super groups...

Yes, their website needs improvement, but that along with the majority of other complaints in this thread are minor in the whole scheme of things...The relationship between U2 and their fans can most clearly be seen at their shows- it's obvious, and a big reason why they have been so successful for so long.

diamond said:

ChrisEdge-

Love your concrete thinking and how you make your points ever so succinctly..

Bravo.

<>

Let me just add my agreement! U2 could never possibly satisfy anyone in the setlist field. I have learned to enjoy whatever songs they do, do I have my favorites like anyone? Of course. I would love to see so many of their stuff live that I have not seen. But, I understand that U2 is in a position no band in history has ever been in w/ regard to this- a catalog consisting of almost 30 years worth of hits that all need to be played at some point during any given tour. This limits their ability to do obscure fan favorites. No one, not the Beatles, not the Who, not even the Stones, have BOTH been around for this long and produced best selling new material for this long.(Stones are still going strong live, but they do not have a very popular new catalog of songs like bomb was) U2 are the only ones- we have to cut them some slack!! From our previous conversations, I know you and I both understand that perfectly well!

chrissybaby said:

Word.

Jagger, mccartney, madonna etc. don't stand on the steps of a recording studio or give fans lifts home. they disappear into their own worlds, recording albums in studios in their stately homes. i honestly think that U2 still have a punk ethos at heart that prevents them from disappearing totally up their own arse. I think they often reflect on the ridiculousness of being a rock star and how easy it is to live a completely unreal life. This is also reflected in how low their ticket prices are in comparison to acts like Elton John and Madonna. I honestly don't think they would ever expect people to pay £200 for a ticket. Also, I think that they have a "Dublin" thing, whereby their mates and peers growing up will probably still take the piss. Bono isn't very good at being a rock star and it shows. Onstage he often looks awkward, I noticed in many Vertigo shows that the classic rock star poses don't come natural to him. Almost as though he feels like a charlatan who's gonna get found out for being a bit of a "prat"! His relationship with his Dad probably fostered this feeling from a very young age, there's nothing like family to bring you down to earth. Ironically enough, the coolest Bono has ever looked as a rock star and the most natural he's ever felt as a rock star for me was when he was in character as the Fly! Around the same time Adam got into the "life" too, which probably says quite a lot about that period.

But for me the real test of my relationship with the band is that I feel that they have never insulted my intelligence as artists.

I do wish that they would acknowledge the desire for live shows though. I honestly believe that this next tour we may well see "bootlegs" being sold via their new website. Last tour it was mooted, but now I think the time is right...

another great post.:up:

I was attracted to U2 because they weren't rock stars, more like the common fellow.

dbs

U2387 said:

Let me just add my agreement! U2 could never possibly satisfy anyone in the setlist field. I have learned to enjoy whatever songs they do, do I have my favorites like anyone? Of course. I would love to see so many of their stuff live that I have not seen. But, I understand that U2 is in a position no band in history has ever been in w/ regard to this- a catalog consisting of almost 30 years worth of hits that all need to be played at some point during any given tour. This limits their ability to do obscure fan favorites. No one, not the Beatles, not the Who, not even the Stones, have BOTH been around for this long and produced best selling new material for this long.(Stones are still going strong live, but they do not have a very popular new catalog of songs like bomb was) U2 are the only ones- we have to cut them some slack!! From our previous conversations, I know you and I both understand that perfectly well!

Very true. If the new album is great I would be happy to see all the songs played live. How many people go to a Stones show to see new songs?

I think most people's problems with U2's setlists is that they would prefer them to drop "warhorses" in favour of other great songs that have disappeared from view. But they are putting on a show, and it's very naive to suggest that most people at a U2 show don't expect to hear Streets, Pride, WOWY etc. My only banker is Streets!

The day that U2 shows become greatest hits tours is the day i will lose interest in them live. It saddens me that some bands only play 2 songs off their new album, how depressing and backward looking is that?

Having said that, many fans on here said that U2 were in danger of that by the time they got to Hawaii... However, as ChrisEdge said, I don't take this personally as a fan, I see it more as the band wanting to put on a universal celebration of their most popular songs. Just don't make a habit of it!

The repackaged/remastered Cd's I think were designed with us in mind, and rather than see them as a big sellout, i see them as an acknowledgment of us as fans, with a lot of care and attention put into them...

Great resurrected thread BTW - with a fresh perspective, much better than the 99% of the crap that's been posted on here recently IMO :wave:

Last edited:
:up: ChrisEdge well said.

As for remasters, I just wish they'd waited until their career was over, and the option to buy the DVD or the extra disc of material separately. We shouldn't have to cough up big time for the complete package or nothing.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Of course I love you, too.:wink: :wink:

Chizip said:
What I don't like about U2's fan interaction is that it seems to me that they would rather make a new fan than keep an old fan. And while that makes sense business wise, it still kinda stinks that they seem to take for granted their hardcore fans.

Best response in this thread, summarizes my thoughts to a T.

I think there's probably a little too much bashing going on in this thread, yes, but some of the defenders of U2 are insane.

I don't think U2 take their hardcore fans for granted
I think their attitude about that hasn't changed since Achtung Baby

if you don't like it anymore .... leave

Salome said:
I don't think U2 take their hardcore fans for granted
I think their attitude about that hasn't changed since Achtung Baby. if you don't like it anymore .... leave
Yes, that's what I call culture of discussion. Again somebody, who first "thinks" to know something – just to draw the consequence, that everybody else, who's not sharing this idea sould leave.
Wow – ever heard about freedom of opinion??? Sometimes it's really insane here ...:censored:

what are you talking about?
really??

ever since Achtung Baby the band's attitude has been that if old fans don't want to follow them then that's cool but that they won't change what they want to do because of that

:up: Salome.

The "U2 vs band ______" coparisons are silly.

Last edited:
The "us" against "them" attitude (re. "old" vs. "new" fans) is something that turns me totally off. U2 shouldn't kiss anybody's ass just because they've been following the band for 20+ years. They should do what they feel like doing and if this is more okay for "new" fans than for "old" ones, it's not the band's problem. Fans, no matter how long they've been following, do not own the band. U2 have to make their artistic and creative decisions based on what they feel is right and what they want to do, not what a certain group of fans expect. No matter what they do, they will NEVER satisfy everyone, there will always be praise by some and whining by others.

last unicorn said:
The "us" against "them" attitude (re. "old" vs. "new" fans) is something that turns me totally off. U2 shouldn't kiss anybody's ass just because they've been following the band for 20+ years. They should do what they feel like doing and if this is more okay for "new" fans than for "old" ones, it's not the band's problem. Fans, no matter how long they've been following, do not own the band. U2 have to make their artistic and creative decisions based on what they feel is right and what they want to do, not what a certain group of fans expect. No matter what they do, they will NEVER satisfy everyone, there will always be praise by some and whining by others.

U2 doesn't k/a to any fans esp old fans which is good.

All older fans want is a teeny bit of respect from younger fans.

You're correct U2 will never satisfy everyone, nor should they-if they did they would lose their artistic integrity.

<>

Back
Top Bottom