U2's next album will be POP#2 - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2002, 11:29 PM   #21
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Room:
That explains it then!!! Probebly my 2nd least favorite U2 album (dont get me wrong, I still like it though). [/B]
Well, it not my favorite album but probably somewhere around #5 or 6, depending on the day

[This message has been edited by lady lemonade (edited 02-25-2002).]

Old 02-26-2002, 12:30 AM   #22
The Fly

Local Time: 06:25 AM
I hope the next album is going to be totally oppersite as ALTYCLB (which is a good album) But sounds to mainstream for my liking and suits the older generation of u2 fans.since they are now in their early 40s i hope they can keep younger fans.

Old 02-26-2002, 02:12 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I think they've learned their mistakes with POP and will take proper time to finish off the new stuff. I hope for a healthy mix of slow and hard-rocking songs, with as many yummy guitar bits as possible...
Old 02-26-2002, 02:23 AM   #24
The Fly

Ok I don't think the next album will be anything like Pop.

Look at their influences, especially over the last year. September 11th (ya they're not American but I know if affected them), Bono becoming a father again, and Bono's dad passing.
I think all of those things will affect the writing for the next album.
I think it'll be more like the Joshua Tree...thought provoking lyrics...but a good mix of fast and slow songs.

PearlJam_U2
Old 02-26-2002, 08:29 AM   #25
Acrobat

[QUOTE]Originally posted by scatteroflight:
[B] Or Stateless, that would be coolness...I love ATYCLB but I wouldn't mind "darker" one bit.

Yes, I would agree. I love Ground & Stateless & wish they were on ATYCLB. It's a shame so few people (outside this forum) have heard them. Stateless has that ethereal, experimental U2 sound I love so much. I would have rather heard these 2 tunes on the record than POE & Grace. I hope this is a direction they persue, but I think they would need Eno/Lanois to get that MDH sound...
Old 02-26-2002, 09:27 AM   #26
War Child

Local Time: 05:25 PM
I agree. Another song in a similar style is Slide Away - the duet between bono and hutchence.
I would have had stateless before wild honey anyday on atyclb.
Old 02-26-2002, 09:42 AM   #27
Acrobat

I don't think it'll be another anything. I'm especting something new and different, just like they always do. Once they start recycling, it's over.
Old 02-26-2002, 09:55 AM   #28
The Fly

the pattern tends to be a straight foward album (War, Joshua Tree, Actung Baby) followed by something a bit more experimental (Unforgettable Fire, Rattle and Hum, Zooropa). Although one could argue that AB was pretty experimental itself. Another pattern is the cycle of 3 albums (Boy, Oct, War) (UF, JT,RH) that seem to follow a similar musical direction with ao I highly doubt U2 will do an abrupt about face and put out another Pop or Zooropa. Although, If there is anyone that grants wishes outthere (i.e. warlocks, witches, genies, Gods ...) I would love another Zooropa!!!!
Old 02-26-2002, 09:56 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Not George Lucas:
I don't think it'll be another anything. I'm especting something new and different, just like they always do. Once they start recycling, it's over.
Hmm.. have to agree with you there. Once U2 starts backtracking and going away from the direction they were headed, it's probably over. We all know U2 wants to be more experimental and change styles with almost every album.

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988
Old 02-26-2002, 11:44 AM   #30
Acrobat

I don't think U2 will every be as experimental as POP again. I think they will always experiment, but not to such a degree where they will do a 360 on their image, and release a 1st single & video like Discotheque. I love POP, but I remember when I first saw that video, I was like "What the hell is this?" I was just baffled...I thinking that the mainstream rock audience was not going to get it, because as a diehard fan, I was having trouble. You couldn't see from that tune & video why people got into U2 in the 1st place. It was a bold move, but it definitely hurt them at the time, so I don't think they will ever drift that far away again...or at least put across that image. I would be curious to see how POP would have done if they put out Staring At The Sun or LNOE as the 1st single & the image that they presented was closer to ATYCLB. I think POP would be seen in a whole different light. Because in actuality, POP rocks harder in places than ATYCLB, which is a supposed return to rock album.
Old 02-26-2002, 12:00 PM   #31
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawkmoon1021:
I would be curious to see how POP would have done if they put out Staring At The Sun or LNOE as the 1st single & the image that they presented was closer to ATYCLB. I think POP would be seen in a whole different light.
I completely agree with you on that. Although I would have chosen Gone as the first single. But I remember Bono saying in an interview that he knew exactly what they were doing when they released Disco as the first single. I guess he wanted to be different.

Although POP is my least favorite U2 album, there are some great songs in there (Gone, LNOE, Staring, Please). I think it wouldn't have been such a commersial disaster here In North America(the least selling U2 album since WAR) if they would have released one of those great singles first.