U2's next album is going to be even better than Achtung Baby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oliveu2cm

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
First of all, no one is to deny U2 are one a roll and gained momentum after each concert, each fan interaction, each interview- they seem to be incredibly positive and excited about the future. They have had "the best year of their lives", to quote Bono. They've already been working on material (like the AB/Zooropa one-two), capturing the energy and rapture that they achieved from this last tour. They have Europe 2002 to look forward to, have graced the cover of nearly every international music magazine and are in the limelight on every newspaper. (I understand it?s not all about ticket sales, press coverage, but I?m pointing out they are very available to people right now). Their music has never been more ?relevant?, and dare I say, more listened to on a huge fan base- if for nothing else, their message of renewal.

In an Australian Interview w/ Bono the other day he said the following: ?Bono has recently written a song about his father, called Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own. In the absence of a handy guitar, he half-sings, half-speaks some of it ("You don't have to put up a fight/You don't have to always be right/Let me take some of the punches for you tonight"), and then subsides into an uncharacteristic hush.?
Out of an incredibly dark time (his father?s death, Sept 11th tragedy) Bono has somehow managed to find the positive in it. His humanity about world events (from DTD to 9/11 to Aids) touches everyone- from the pacifist to the militants, while showing compassion for the countless victims across the world.

This tour has allowed the band to be SO close to us, and Bono really depends on us: ?The day Hewson died, U2 were due to headline Earl's Court in London. The show went ahead. "And it really helped me," says Bono. "It might have put the audience off their tea, but it really helped me. That recent tour in the UK is something I will never forget, because every night I would go expensively home to Dublin to sleep beside my father, on the floor of his hospital room -- the crowd was still ringing in my ears as I sat down to his silence."

That crowd, that was us. That gave Bono hope and strength, just as much as we give it to him, and I believe he taps into this when he sits down to write.

He does not diminish anything that has happened recently- but rather offers solace and comfort to people. And he steps up to bat ?let me take some of the punches for you tonight.? That line in particular is what caught my eye ? because it reminds me a lot of Acthung Baby, particularly ?Ultraviolet?, as well as Pop songs like ?VelvetDress?, in the style of it and how it sounds- I can almost hear him singing it already. However, those aforementioned songs are sung from a very selfish perspective ?baby light my way? and ?I?ve got my own hands to pray?. Bono said in the same article, "I like those albums, but I find them unbearable to listen to, because I can hear the paranoia and the panic. Achtung Baby is full of it. Zooropa kind of revolved around that great lyric by Edge, Numb. And Pop is so f---ing black.? Bono is so focused and zoned in on so much positive energy and soulfulness, I can see why it would be hard to listen to those albums. Of course, they were perfect for its time and still are important (AB is my favorite album to date by U2). I believe U2 are tapping into the intimacy, solidity, and uniqueness of AB, which I cannot justly describe, whether it be consciously or not, but they are replacing the ?paranoia and panic? with hope, soul, joy, and all the themes ATYCLB scraped the surface of.

I really think we should prepare ourselves for an album that is going to blow our minds apart- even more than AB, and certainly more than ATYCLB, which was in itself a fine album. It?s a really great time to be a U2 fan, and I sleep happily at night knowing across the ocean U2?s working on more music for us- not because they have to ? but because they need to, because they understand that God has given us their hands...

------------------
"The Fly has to be the Fly!"

Devotion And some appreciation
Little heavy rotation Looks good on me

* U2 Take Me Higher *

You rock Carrie! And yes, I too am very excited about their future.

smile.gif

------------------
"When you've seen beyond yourself then you may see peace of mind is waiting there
And the time will come when you see we're all one
And life flows on within you and without you"

Peace George

Neat insights, thanks for the rare words from Bono. So good to know the fans helped him through his father's passing. The band can just ride the wave of love now! God willing they will give us another wonderful album...can't wait!

Wow, Carrie, that was great. Believe it or not, I think you've succeeded in making me even more excited for the new album, haha.

------------------
One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. "Oh no," I said, "Disneyland burned down." He cried and cried, but I think deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real disney land , but it was getting pretty late.

Official L.O.B.P.B.G.G.T.S.H.S.A.E.E of the E.B.O.C

if the next album is going to be better or even near achtung baby(my fave u2 album) then im gonna piss all the people i know by saying this rocks the stuff you listen to is lame
smile.gif

------------------
"BONO'S PRAYER HEAVENS AIR"

Dont believe the devil i dont believe his book.

The key is not to rush. As much as I would love to listening to a new album tomorrow, I would rather wait another two years for a great album.

I feel that Zooropa was rushed and kind of bandaged together or like the best B-sides from AB and it shows. The album is very good, but it is far from ATYCLB.

We just need to let them have their time to figure things out. If you get into a scenario where you are rushing or trying to top yourself, that's a destructive cycle for an artist. Good things come to those who wait.

not 2 years.. they took two years foe atyclb and.... so let them go in the studio ..lets cook the food while the stove is hot.

------------------
"BONO'S PRAYER HEAVENS AIR"

Dont believe the devil i dont believe his book.

Thanks for that, Carrie...that entire article was such a great one...I adore reading articles and other stuff about Bono (and the other guys too) that give me a new insight to him/them. It makes me....well, so *joyful* over how amazing, interesting, thoughtful, insightful and caring a person Bono is. He truly is one in a hundred million. Just when I think I have the guy figured out...he sucker punches me with something new, something that only makes me love and admire the guy even more, if that were possible. I've often asked myself, what kind of world this would be, if more people in celebrity and wealthy positions--and of course, just the every day "Joe"--were more like Bono...what kind of amazing things could be brought to the world??? I still totally dig Edge, of course, but Bono is SO special...sometimes I cant' even verbalize it....

I'm also *really* looking forward to their next album.
biggrin.gif
I am finally loving ATYCLB, but I truly hope they go back to the heavier, more rocking, more AB-styled stuff for their next one...or even if they ventured into the more experimental stuff again, hey, you go, guys!! And if we can expect a new album out at the end of 2002?? OMG, HOW COOL WOULD THAT BE???
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Am very curious as to what they're going to call the album as well...where do you go after singing about "all that you can't leave behind?"

Disco...getting verbose again

Wow, Carrie - gorgeous post. If you were still in college, you could submit this as a research paper and get a big shiny "A"!

It really touches me when Bono claims 2001 as their best year ever....and that we were there to share it with them. Here's to the future!

As I mentioned in another post, Achtung Baby is the fulcrum on which all U2-ology logically must turn. U2 HAD to make Achtung Baby, really, when you think about it. And--heresy coming up?--it's better than Joshua Tree. Achtung Baby is by far my favorite album, even more so than ATYCLB.

Why?

1.) It's older; I am one of those annoying people who is automatically predisposed to like old things.
smile.gif

2.) It makes me think more. I think ATYCLB is perhaps more emotive, but Achtung Baby forces me to think, and think very critically, every time I hear it.

3.) It's lots of fun to re-order the songs on Achtung Baby, because the order they are in is BIZARRE.

4.) Better cover art.

5.) "So Cruel" has made me cry more than "Kite" has, although I did hear them do "Kite" live.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is this: is this new album going to be a new Achtung Baby to ATYCLB's Joshua Tree...or will it be a Zooropa to ATYCLB's Achtung Baby? I tend to think the former, simply because ATYCLB reminds me MUCH more of Joshua Tree. And if we are in for a new Achtung Baby...wow!!!
smile.gif

------------------
If you cannot live together in here, you cannot live together out there, let me tell ya. --Bono

You've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice... --Bono

I am exicted at the prospect of any new U2 music. I try not to compare one album to another or think one may exceed the quality of another. If it is U2, it will be all I need!

Originally posted by paxetaurora:
Anyway, what I'm trying to say is this: is this new album going to be a new Achtung Baby to ATYCLB's Joshua Tree...or will it be a Zooropa to ATYCLB's Achtung Baby? I tend to think the former, simply because ATYCLB reminds me MUCH more of Joshua Tree. And if we are in for a new Achtung Baby...wow!!!
smile.gif

Exactly my thoughts- in summary!

Plus not to mention- Bono's voice is in top form, never better. They are just gonna rock this next album out!

Disco- good point about the titling of the album. Maybe it's time for a self titled album?
icon33.gif
ha ha!

And for that article I quoted, check here it's one of the best i've ever read!

------------------
"The Fly has to be the Fly!"

* U2 Take Me Higher *

[This message has been edited by oliveu2cm (edited 12-06-2001).]

[This message has been edited by oliveu2cm (edited 12-06-2001).]

Oliveu2cm...I just wanted to tell you I'm an admirer of your writing and insights into the band that you bring to the forum.

Great post by the way, and I had a wonderful quote I found from an Achtung Baby review, and I thought it would work here in reference to what U2 has done and will do in the future.

"U2 has always made its best songs sound apocalyptic. Not only does Bono sing like an air-raid siren, but the band's rhythm section also plays with a twitchy urgency reinforced by the Edge's artillery assault of guitars, shuddering, whistling, crashing and burning. The Irish quartet has often applied that end-of-the-world sound to suitable topics such as the nuclear threat, "the troubles" in Northern Ireland, political prisoners, the British mining strike and the band's ongoing spiritual quest."

Chris

------------------
"That's what's happening to U2 on tour in the United States at the moment - we're just a conduit for all this joy and hope and despair and it's all coming out - People say, 'Oh, Rock and Roll is great - just takes people's minds off of it' - No. That is not our job. Our job is to take people's minds through it." --Bono's take on the Elevation Tour since 9/11

Originally posted by spanisheyes:
Oliveu2cm...I just wanted to tell you I'm an admirer of your writing and insights into the band that you bring to the forum.

Great post by the way, and I had a wonderful quote I found from an Achtung Baby review, and I thought it would work here in reference to what U2 has done and will do in the future.

"U2 has always made its best songs sound apocalyptic. Not only does Bono sing like an air-raid siren, but the band's rhythm section also plays with a twitchy urgency reinforced by the Edge's artillery assault of guitars, shuddering, whistling, crashing and burning. The Irish quartet has often applied that end-of-the-world sound to suitable topics such as the nuclear threat, "the troubles" in Northern Ireland, political prisoners, the British mining strike and the band's ongoing spiritual quest."

Chris

Hi Chris-

I'd like to say that I feel the same way about your posts. I really enjoy reading everything you write, too, so your compliment means a lot to me- so thanks. I sometimes use your ideas as jumping boards in discussions with my friend VelvetDress actually lol , so thanks again
smile.gif
esp that magical thing you did with putting images to the U2 songs..wow. I bet if you and I teamed up we'd come up w/ some interesting theories!
smile.gif
you can email me w/ any cool ideas if you want- oliveu2cm@yahoo.com. nice quote, too!

smile.gif

------------------
Bono: There is a bit of my guitar playing, but honestly it's sad.
Larry: It is. But Bono looks great with it.

* U2 Take Me Higher *

What a great read olive! I checked out that Australian paper's website and on Dec. 4th are two more Bono related articles. Unfortunately I'm not good with posting links.
I only think that Bono's voice is not good at all. He struggles at live performances, but we let it go because U2 music sounds good and Bono performs with such emotion. Take a listen to Bono on the America: ATribute to Heroes album and then listen to the voices of Alicia Keys, the Boss,and as much as I hate to admit it even Bon Jovi. Compare and contrast.

Bono sounds great with a scratchy voice when he reaches for the high notes "...so muuch ..Walk on!" There's a an alluring quality to Bono's pronunciation and exclamation of his own lyrics. But the facts are facts, something about his voice is not healthy.

soul

Originally posted by soulwindnotbono:
What a great read olive! I checked out that Australian paper's website and on Dec. 4th are two more Bono related articles. Unfortunately I'm not good with posting links.
I only think that Bono's voice is not good at all. He struggles at live performances, but we let it go because U2 music sounds good and Bono performs with such emotion. Take a listen to Bono on the America: ATribute to Heroes album and then listen to the voices of Alicia Keys, the Boss,and as much as I hate to admit it even Bon Jovi. Compare and contrast.

Bono sounds great with a scratchy voice when he reaches for the high notes "...so muuch ..Walk on!" There's a an alluring quality to Bono's pronunciation and exclamation of his own lyrics. But the facts are facts, something about his voice is not healthy.

soul

if you still have the link, you could email them to me, i'd be really interested in checking them out.

or you could just paste it in the body of a post, and it should go through as a link.
smile.gif

glad you liked it! it was a really great read!

and i agree about him having trouble with the high notes- notice him pulling back in concerts and having the crowd sing? but he's been touring for so long now, so hopefully this break he'll zip it and give those precious chords a rest.
smile.gif

------------------
Bono: There is a bit of my guitar playing, but honestly it's sad.
Larry: It is. But Bono looks great with it.

* U2 Take Me Higher *

I agree that perhaps his voice isn't in tip-top shape right now, but it probably just needs some rest. Or, perhaps, what they could look into is making an album full of songs like "If You Wear That Velvet Dress"...all quiet and whispery and low...then he wouldn't hurt himself...?

He could also consider quitting smoking...LOL.
smile.gif
I sing, both solo and in two choirs, and a friend of mine that I sing with is a pretty heavy smoker. AND he's a tenor; he's ruining his high range.

------------------
If you cannot live together in here, you cannot live together out there, let me tell ya. --Bono

You've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice... --Bono

Oh, I don't agree with what you're saying about Bono's voice. I used to be one of those people who yearned for the squawking, yelping Bono, but this past year I've learned to enjoy his "adult" voice more. I saw U2 play Sacramento, which was their 3rd show in a row (the first time all tour they'd done that), and I was very worried that Bono's voice would be worn, and ragged. What I heard was the most powerful performance of the three Elevation shows I saw. That night I cast aside all my ill feelings about the hoarsness of his voice. He hit the "wide awake" part in Bad like he was on the UF tour all over again (a tour I was lucky enough to see btw!). I think he needs to take a month of singing off and then hit the studio. I think his voice is "in shape" now and he's ready to tackle a heavier sounding album. Just my 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom