U2's next album...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salim117

The Fly
Larry said:
As for the next album, it will very likely be a palimpsest like the last, with a mixture of reworked older songs and new items. But don't expect another Bomb, Clayton said.

"I'm not sure we'd want to make another album from that place," he said, referring to the back-to-basics tone of the past two albums. "I think, naturally, we'll be restless to do something different."

Please let that be true! I'm dying for U2 to blow me away again with something new, different, and unexpected...Like they did with AB,Zooropa, & POP. Ahhh, I miss the days when U2 was MY band and not for everybody and their mothers!

Here's hoping for a Zooropa II !
Though Zoo is my 3rd favorite U2 album, it is the one I turn to when U2's present day commercial-music for the masses antics start "getting" to me. It reminds me of how brilliant they ARE, and how innovative they CAN BE!:bow: :rockon: :rockon:

Salim

Larry is the most reliable of the 4 members as to the direction of the band (Bono is the worst). It really intriguings me how the next 7 or so years will go down.

Can they really still rock at 50?? We shall see.

I'll believe it when I hear it, Bomb was meant to be a 'dragon' after all, came out more like a pussy cat!

Salim, I notice you left Passengers out of your list. Any reason?

2Hearts said:
Salim, I notice you left Passengers out of your list. Any reason?

Momentary lapse of reason!:wink:
You're right though...In a nut shell, everything from the 90's.

Can they really still rock at 50?? We shall see.
Good question. I know one thing I would really like to see is that the 4 of them put 100% into it, without the majority of distractions they have had for the last two albums.

They know they have 2 albums left, so they really should give it their all. Make sure it has no sloppy lyrics, and try to produce some unique sounds and melodies that don't resemble old tunes.

They sure seemed to know how to rock last Sunday and Monday. Bono pranced around with all the energy of Zoo TV!

Since Boy was a inspiration for HTDAAB, maybe they should go even further back and look to the Virgin Prunes/Lypton Village for inspiration. As a teenager, Bono found alot of humor in the surreal. U2 has touched on that, but very little. It's a side of him that many people do not know.

Salim, your quote about the days when U2 was 'MY band' is kind of amusing. I know how you feel, b/c I came on board during the mid-90s. But for alot of fans, that was the period where they felt like U2 had wandered off and weren't the same anymore. Sort of like you feel know. I love the '90s albums, but alot of people didn't. U2 was criticized heavily during that period. It's funny that now all of these people are coming out and talking about how great those albums were. Don't let all of the current publicity bother you. As Michka Assayas found out, the guys in the band are the same even when their image in the media is contorted.

^ headache

that's not true. it was close to home, listen to the alternate versions of bomb and tell me it doesnt have that achtopa ambiance to it. it's all there. as to what someone previously said about how larry is the most reliable source for info on their direction, that may be true in bombs case but back in 90, bono was pretty spot on about the direction heading into achtung. at the time, adam and larry were the ones reluctant to the new sound. bono and edge won after a huge fight. ill bet that the situation this time around with bomb, similar things took place and adam and larry won the fight. personally, i like the interference from zootv on the alternate versions of the bomb songs.

i think that u2 shouldve released a double album with this release.

shouldve looked as follows:

disc 1
solar (or whatever)

(achtopa theme)

1. love and peace
2. (a discareded song from the sessions)
3. sometimes you cant make it on your own (alternate)
4. are you gonna wait forever
5. miracle drug
6. all because of you (alternate)
7. mercy
8. fast cars
9. one step closer to knowing
10. yahweh (aletrnate)

Winter ( or whatevr)

(safer rock 80's sound)

1. vertigo
2. xanax and wine
3. sometimes you cant make it on your own
4. city of blinding lights
5. a man and a woman
6. all because of you
7. crumbs from your table
8. smile
9. original of the species
10. yahweh

but that just me, i think a schizo u2 double album would rock big time

Hmm reworking of older songs? wonder if it has something to do with the recovery of the missing october lyrics?

I'm guessing U2's nest album can be a compilation on some HTDAAB outtakes (it's know that the band taped 25 songs, only 12 on the Bomb) and some reworked songs left from other sessions and other new songs.

I'm not an apologist of rework October lyrics. Although they're actual, they were written 25 years ago, so Bono's states of mind were not the same as today...

I hope the next album is even more raw and guitar-directioned than HTDAAB

Sken said:

Good question. I know one thing I would really like to see is that the 4 of them put 100% into it, without the majority of distractions they have had for the last two albums.

They know they have 2 albums left, so they really should give it their all. Make sure it has no sloppy lyrics, and try to produce some unique sounds and melodies that don't resemble old tunes.

Two albums their will be more!

I hope U2 bring a mixture of the Boy - War and UF - Rattle and Hum eras. Then take some leftovers from the Acthung Baby - Pop era and "All That You Can't Leave Behind - How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" era and rework them. Put an album out with those songs and call it "How To Leave A Joshua Boy Baby And Fire War Tree Behind." This way everyone will be happy, and then maybe everyone and their mother will not like U2 anymore.........right. :wink:

I hate it when U2 make great music and other people like it!!!! :mad:

I don't care if the next album rocks or not. It would be nice if it is cutting edge. If it was just a set of 11 songs that sound like nothing that came before, I'll be happy.

Nisse said:
Hmm reworking of older songs? wonder if it has something to do with the recovery of the missing october lyrics?

Or Mercy. :drool:

Oh, and even though I really like the 90's albums, I wouldn't want the new albums to sound anything like them. We already have the 90's albums. And the 90's have come and gone. Personally, when I say that I hope that they experiment a bit on the new album, I mean that I want something new - NOT the 90's all over again. :huh:

I don't see what isn't rocking about Bomb. Everyone criticizes U2 for their 90s experimentation and then criticizes them for reaching into the back-catalogue in their roots albums that followed. Edge sounds amazing on Bomb and the lyrics are incredible. Larry and Adam have more fun rhythmically too. What else do you want?

But, I mean, can you really describe U2's music?

"It's rock with a pop orientation leaning towards alternative with a twist of..."

All I know is that the boys will deliver enjoyable music that will be different to all of their albums and yet very similar to the ones before.

Even if Bono himself describes it his description will probably be as good as anyone who hasn't even heard it's. :wink:

I'd like U2 to make something diferent in the next album, as they did in UF, AB or Zooropa. INOVATE!

And then, probably for the farewell one or two great, solid albums. A mix of JT and HTDAAB :drool:

Back
Top Bottom