U2's longevity and associated issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trevster2k

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I have been watching the MMM special U2 Dismantled. Early in the interview, Bono talks about levels of success and how they are trying to get back to how they were in the beginning,etc. They have addressed this many times. U2 has faced criticism for both staying the same and changing their style.

Is the band having to deal with issues only a handful of other bands like the Stones have had to address and as a result being held to a higher standard despite all their past achievements? Bono seems to be speaking from this sentiment.

Some articles I have read discuss how Bono is becoming a mentor for some younger artists in being a "rockstar". If you compare U2 and the Rolling Stones at this same point in their careers, I think U2 are more relevant than the Stones were at this point. I love the Stones too. But after 20 plus years, U2 has entered territory which few have been. I think they are handling it with grace and still kickin arse for a bunch of old farts. :)

Peace out.

trevster2k said:
I have been watching the MMM special U2 Dismantled. Early in the interview, Bono talks about levels of success and how they are trying to get back to how they were in the beginning,etc. They have addressed this many times. U2 has faced criticism for both staying the same and changing their style.

Is the band having to deal with issues only a handful of other bands like the Stones have had to address and as a result being held to a higher standard despite all their past achievements? Bono seems to be speaking from this sentiment.

Some articles I have read discuss how Bono is becoming a mentor for some younger artists in being a "rockstar". If you compare U2 and the Rolling Stones at this same point in their careers, I think U2 are more relevant than the Stones were at this point. I love the Stones too. But after 20 plus years, U2 has entered territory which few have been. I think they are handling it with grace and still kickin arse for a bunch of old farts. :)

Peace out.

Very well said, i couldn't agree with you more. Its very cool how their music still means something, and that they still have something to say that is relavent 20 plus years later.

very insightful comments, trevster2K!

I agree with everything you said. Maybe it's this "higher standard" of music that U2 is being held up to that explains some of the discussions here.

We should just let U2 be themselves and accept their music as an extension of who they are at this moment in time - nothing less, not much more.:wink:

Thanks for this thread.

ORIGINAL OF THE SPECIES....:adam: :larry: :edge: :hug: :bono: :love:

Jamila said:

We should just let U2 be themselves and accept their music as an extension of who they are at this moment in time - nothing less, not much more.:wink:

Wouldn't be a very busy discussion board then would it? ;)

No it wouldn't be a busy board at all...maybe it would just be a "bored". I love U2, I love what they've done in the past and I love what they're doing now, however if we all just accepted everything they did then we'd be robots. I understand Jamila's point, but I agree with Indra's too.

This board thrives because of the passion of the fans on this board. While I don't agree with many of the dissenters, I am completely comfortable with their existence and their opinions.

Back to trevster's thread. U2 are at a unique stage in their career and the existence of Rock as a musical genre. Never has one band stayed together, with all original members intact, without any sort of turnover. They are definitely held to a "higher standard", and their music and image are looked over from top to bottom. It gets harder every passing year to maintain the status they hold. I applaud them for still having the drive and tenacity to fight to the top even though they are older and richer than they probably ever imagined. The spark that set the flame still burns brightly for U2.

Reggie Thee Dog said:

The spark that set the flame still burns brightly for U2.

Oh I so love this lyric, the spark that sets the flame, from Indian Summer Sky.
Thank you Reggie for reminding me of something I've been missing.. :heart:

and yes they are held to such a higher standard that alot of critics and fans expect them to fail, but they still have that "spark". Like it or not. Its what they know how to do. and it's worked out pretty well for them so far.

YOU'RE WRIGHT!!!
I think that they are so good because they aren't afraid of experimenting.
Achtung-different than JT and Rattle
Zooropa-time is changing it's obvious
Pop-THE MOST EXPERIMENTAL ALBUM, but not in bad way. It just has pretty fucked up lyrics and bass line and drums which is a change in A GOOD DIRECTION.
THEE WHO SAY THAT POP ISN'T GOOD ALBUM CAN KISS MY LOVELY BIG ASS!!!!!! SHUT UP
Pop isn't finished, blalabala-SHUT UP:blahblah:

And btw. Stones are nothing compared to U2. Some say that Stones are the best rock group ever. naah,:no:
How can they be the best rock group ever??? What were they when they were 44???Just a bunch of drugadicts!!!!

U2 are pure band!!!Remember that. But, only thing is that they won't perform in Croatia!!!We can just hope!!

ždrig

Pero said:

And btw. Stones are nothing compared to U2. Some say that Stones are the best rock group ever. naah,:no:
How can they be the best rock group ever??? What were they when they were 44???Just a bunch of drugadicts!!!!

Yeah the Stones output during the 1980's was just appalling, although they did recover and put out some ok stuff in the 1990's.

Looking at the current new bands that are out there, I can see more U2 influences that Stones influences.

hi everyone. i'm glad i fainly found a cool u2 board. i am shocked that HTDAAB has gone triple platium in just 4 weeks!! this has to be a record. its insane. It backstreet boy-ish,lol. i though only those bands pulled off these kinds of sales. I know vertigo was catchy, but dam,lol what other single is being played on the radio? is this casue of the ipod commercal? lol

allbecauseofu2 said:
hi everyone. i'm glad i fainly found a cool u2 board. i am shocked that HTDAAB has gone triple platium in just 4 weeks!! this has to be a record. its insane. It backstreet boy-ish,lol. i though only those bands pulled off these kinds of sales. I know vertigo was catchy, but dam,lol what other single is being played on the radio? is this casue of the ipod commercal? lol

Hi and welcome. :wave: We have several threads going in the Peeling off those Dollar Bills forum about charting and sales. Feel free to come join or start a thread there if you want to talk about sales etc . Just letting you know it's there since you're new. :)

http://forum.interference.com/f225.html

Reggie Thee Dog said:
U2 are at a unique stage in their career and the existence of Rock as a musical genre. Never has one band stayed together, with all original members intact, without any sort of turnover. They are definitely held to a "higher standard", and their music and image are looked over from top to bottom. It gets harder every passing year to maintain the status they hold. I applaud them for still having the drive and tenacity to fight to the top even though they are older and richer than they probably ever imagined. The spark that set the flame still burns brightly for U2.

:yes:. Exactly. And the fact that they know they're set to a higher standard only makes them push harder to stay up there, so we can continue to expect their best efforts. They really are different when it comes to acting like your typical rock band, and that, like I said in one thread a while back, is one big reason why I like them :).

Angela

Back
Top Bottom