U2's Legacy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mculver

The Fly
With U2 being as big and popular as ever at the moment it seems difficult to me to try and determine what their final legacy will be when all is said and done.

I mean if you look at other super-groups like Zepplin, The Who, The Beatles, Nirvana, etc. their true legacy isn't known until several years have passed after they finished recording. With Zepplin it wasn't until years later that they would be veiwed by many as the pioneers of heavy metal or that the Beatles legacy would be their transformation as well as their innovation or that Nirvana would help to usher in a whole new genre of music.

So what do you think U2's final legacy will be? Their stellar albums like JT or AB, their ability to re-invent themselves and stay relevant, their ability to play live, Bono's charitable work, etc. Maybe their legacy will be about their relationship with each other and how they were able to stand together during the highs and lows of their storied career....

What do you think U2's legacy will be?:)

I think u2's legacy will be the rock band that was able to do it all

from blues, to experimental rock and even the very punkish sounding stuff on boy

the band that was constantly reinventing and challenging fans to follow

I always refer to them as the "planet band" (inspired by the famous Zooropa photograph).

And to me, that's their legacy. They thrilled the whole world with their albums and toured the world playing their songs live.

They'll go down as the best live band of all time.

I say that one of their legacies would have to be the band that were extremely honest and loyal to their fans. Just as much as the fans were toward them.

One of the greatest live acts of all time. The ticket sales alone would prove this - but in 30 years time, just hand someone one the Slane dvd or ZooTV....:drool:

(if ZooTV ever makes it onto dvd!!:mad:)

A big part will definitely be the live shows, also the longevity of their career, combined with the critical acclaim and worldwide popularity.
One of the greats of rock music IMO.

And of course...that their friendship and line-up of the band, remained the same throughout their career, which is a rare thing in a lot of bands these days.

:yes: And staying in long-time relationships, avoiding the rock'n'roll cliches of alcohol and drugs abuse.

They did it on their own terms, by basically breaking any rule about rock fame you could think of.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom