U2's Last Album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Larry's wrists?

I only heard he had back problems during the recording of Pop and so they used lots of loops and samples.

IMO a big factor will also be if they can still bring out new fans after the third decade. I know the interview looks optmistic, but I can't imagine them not want to play the biggest venues and to compete with the younger artists.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
Larry's wrists?

I only heard he had back problems during the recording of Pop and so they used lots of loops and samples.

I was under the impression his wrists were major cause for concern ...

IMO a big factor will also be if they can still bring out new fans after the third decade. I know the interview looks optmistic, but I can't imagine them not want to play the biggest venues and to compete with the younger artists.

Valid point, and I think they will keep attracting new fans. I know young fans of older artists such as the Stones and even long-gone acts such as the Beatles, Elvis, The Ramones, and so forth, so I don't think it's too much of a problem considering U2's classic status.

I get really sad when everyone seems to always be coming down about Bono's voice thorughout all the U2 albums....the guy's been singing since he was a teenager! Of course the voice is going to go through changes with as much touring that they do, and let's not even talk about the cigarettes (that's been discussed to death).... His voice is still beautiful, even though its changed sometimes I think thats a good thing because they've experimented more with different sounds as a result. I think this album will be U2's best (I don't know why, I just FEEL it) but I definetly think they've got more to do and say and this is not the end, we've got plenty of time left to enjoy our boys!

While we have no idea how many more years that U2 will be together as a group, I think it is time for us to begin to consider the inevitable. One day U2 will be no more.

This is simply reality and all the wishing we do won't change it. If we love and respect them as much as we say we do, then we will be willing to let them go when the time is right and let them be the individuals that they are meant to be. :up:

U2 have always lived their lives according to their own inner sense of direction and nothing we or anyone else can do will change this. :wink:

U2 will have one more major album this decade and they will tour it, but it will be scaled back, so get ready people, this is going to be their last major tour of their career. I never even got the opportunity to see them in the flesh let alone see them at a concert. So they had better come to Adelaide this time!

The best thing that we can do is to simply appreciate the numerous gifts that U2 has given us through the years and wish them well through the rest of their lives - whether as a group or as individuals. :yes:

They have every right to disband when the time is right for them and we have no right to attempt to keep them together when it is no longer the best path for them to take.

We will always have U2 - THEIR MUSIC AND THE MESSAGE IN THEIR MUSIC IS TIMELESS AND WILL LIVE ON long after U2 is but a glorious memory in music history.:hug:

So, let's enjoy the upcoming CD and tour and JUST BE GRATEFUL THAT WE HAVE BEEN BLESSED WITH THE MAGIC AND MUSIC OF U2! :adam: :larry: :edge: :bono: :love:

Jamila said:
The best thing that we can do is to simply appreciate the numerous gifts that U2 has given us through the years and wish them well through the rest of their lives - whether as a group or as individuals. :yes:

They have every right to disband when the time is right for them and we have no right to attempt to keep them together when it is no longer the best path for them to take.

We will always have U2 - THEIR MUSIC AND THE MESSAGE IN THEIR MUSIC IS TIMELESS AND WILL LIVE ON long after U2 is but a glorious memory in music history.:hug:

So, let's enjoy the upcoming CD and tour and JUST BE GRATEFUL THAT WE HAVE BEEN BLESSED WITH THE MAGIC AND MUSIC OF U2! :adam: :larry: :edge: :bono: :love:

There are too many chick U2 fans, I feel like a sissee........
:huh: :wink:

I hate this discussion - I refuse to believe that they will grow old and eventually "retire from the game".:(

if this album turns out to be crap then they have atleast one more album to do. But from what i gather this will not be a crap album thus that means they could have possibly two more albums to go but before that they will probably have another album say in around 2008 and then a best 2000 - 2010 album by say around 2011 and by that time maybe we get lucky and we are back here talking about their next album like say in around 2012 or 2013 so i gather around 1-3 (the best of included) more albums after this one before they call it quits

Every time U2 is working on an album they talk about have 20 or so songs on the burner and we get 11 or 12 on the album. I know some of those ideas or songs show up on the next album...but I believe they are saving a ton of stuff for when they are well into their 50's or 60's to release...maybe just a pipe dream but here is to wishful thinking! On a side note I am so glad that we have not heard a good quality leak of Vertigo or HTDAAB yet...it feels like the pre-internet days when we actually have to wait and hear it on the radio for the first time...can't wait til Friday!

Last edited:
With this band I feel like you never know, I doubt even they know exactly when the end will come. I don't think they'd do a big farewell tour with all the hoopla and such, I just think that some point will come when they've said all they've wanted to say, created all they've wanted to create, feel satisfied with the whole deal and just stop. I think the end of U2 will be a lot more like what happened with The Beatles than what happened with Kiss.

dsmith2904 said:
I think the end of U2 will be a lot more like what happened with The Beatles than what happened with Kiss.

No kidding.. I had the misfortune (well, that's arguable) of seeing KISS open for Aerosmith last year. Ole Gene stood on the scaffolding and spit blood with crazy green lighting. The crowd goes wild!!

They didn't play "Everytime I Look At You" - but ah, I'm a sucker for a good ballad.

I don't see why there has to be a definite "end" to the band. Why can't they keep making music until they drop? Look at Van Morrison, The Chieftains, Ralph Stanley, Leonard Cohen, Bruce, Rollingstones...
Yeah, they may not tour but they don't have to stop making music...

Talk like this depresses me...I really wish I was born 20 years earlier so I could have been a fan since the beginning... but I'm just happy about the seven years of my life I have been a fan. It certainly shaped my childhood :happy: But back on topic...

I'm with the majority in saying that I do not think this is U2's last album. True, they are getting older, and this is another thing that depresses me - however, look at them now! In my opinion, they look fantastic. Sure, there will be a point when they really do look "old," but I think they still have a few years left :wink: Plus, look at musicians such as Lou Reed and Bob Dylan - old, but they still rock :D

So of course there will be HTDAAB, and I'd say two more studio albums after that at least... but am I the only one earning for another Rattle & Hum? Rattle & Hum was all good, and it served its purpose (documenting U2 at that stage of their career), but at this point I say we need a proper U2 documentary... and a live album would fucking rule. U2 is always better live.

There is always one thought that haunts me... I hope to God, or whoever is out there, that it never happens and just thinking of it makes me sick... but what if one of them were to die? I mean, obviously they'll all die eventually, but the thought of turning on the news and hearing that Bono got shot or something...
:sad:

I'm serious, if that ever happened I'd probably try to commit suicide.

Originally posted by Miggy D
But on the other hand, I hate seeing my idols grow old. (It's been depressing watching Harrison Ford over the last 7 or so years...he has really aged horribly since 1997

First thing I did when I read your post was to see how old you are... Heck, Miggy D everyone seems old when you're only 21! I agree that Jagger is now only a caricature of himself, but there are many musicians who are older and still make wonderful music. Plus there are a lot of mightly fine looking older guys around too! In fact I kinda prefer the older guys now. So many of the young pups seem to be reinventing the wheel -- ach...it's already been done guys, give it a rest! (Yeah, I know, I'm a cranky old one.)

U2dork said:
I don't see why there has to be a definite "end" to the band. Why can't they keep making music until they drop? Look at Van Morrison, The Chieftains, Ralph Stanley, Leonard Cohen, Bruce, Rollingstones...
Yeah, they may not tour but they don't have to stop making music...

I agree. I don't see any reason to stop making music unless they are simply not interested anymore. I can see that huge tours may be phased out though.

dsmith2904 said:
I think the end of U2 will be a lot more like what happened with The Beatles than what happened with Kiss.

I thought the end with the Beatles was a nasty fight among the band members.

IMO they would not put out an album and not tour, I think it will be a clean cut, a good-bye with a box set.

Aren't Kiss still playing live?

U2 have lived by the motto "two straight crap albums and you're out." They did the crap-POP but they made a comeback with ATYCLB.

Rumor has it that HTDAAB is going to tank. An local record exec who is a huge U2 fan and CLAIMS (unverified claim if you ask me) to have heard the album said words to this effect:

-Edge seems to be trying too hard, as if he wants to make every song have a signature riff and have some funk in it - he doesn't sound like traditional Edge who plays repetitive, economical, and disciplined. He is trying to be a guitar hero through big stadium-type play-along riffs but still no major guitar hero solos (still very few in this album)

-Most songs have guitars that sound like the Boy-War era but are "riffy" a la Mysterious Ways, Hold Me Thrill Me, Desire. But the songs are not purely raw since there are still effects mixed in (he did not specify but I think he meant loops, synths, sequencers, etc).

-The songs sound uncomfortable because while the guitars are early era U2 thereby making one expect a rocker (especially a couple of songs that start out with just the guitar riff), they disappoint when the drums come in because the tempo is slow(tempo is slow ATYCLB live U2) and the vocals sound beat up(Bono's vocals sound older and raspier and thinning).

-There is a slow poignant song that isn't guitar riffy and Bono does crystal clear vocals (a la Grace) and is pehaps one of the most beautiful slow songs of U2 ever. The record exec claims it will give "One" a run for its money. He said that the current state of Bono's voice is tailor-fit for these slower quiet songs, and he is surprised why the album didnt' have more of this types of songs.

-He concluded by predicting that this album will tank because it lacks the "bite" and faster tempo of today's modern rock bands, while the guitars are quite prominent to make this album belong in the mellow rock category.

He did not specify which song titles referred to which otherwise he would be fired. But he did mention Vertigo is a good representation of what the entire album sounds like (kinda like how BD was a good representation of ATYCLB) and not like previous lead-off singles (Numb, Discotheque) which weren't incidcations as to what the album was all about. He said Vertigo is his second favorite track in the album (next to the unnamed slow poignant song).

Well, from all indications it looks like the album will tank. U2 has mentioned "dismantle" in the album title - after an album had the phrase "leave behind". The Vertigo shoot has the band members far away from each other - sort of separated.

So there is a possibility that U2 won't be true to their word that 2 crap albums and you're out. Instead, I feel that this will be U2 last album.

Cheers,

J

Ahhh yes... despite every single report in the media glowing about this new album, leave it to our good buddy Jick to make a post predicting the album will tank, based upon a "local record executive." Would this be the manager at your local sam goodie? Perhaps the high school senior who moonlights at best buy?

give it up Jick... no one buys a single one of your posts. kepp trying if you want, but i really don't seem the point when all of your posts are sooo obviously anti-u2 that it's not even funny anymore.

Cheers,

H

I don't know. Some of the comments are interesting.

I for one hope the slow song he's talking about is Miracle Drug.

I have listened to the clip so many times and I am totally in love with it. I am dying to hear the whole thing without the Spanish commentary and wave noise.

why don't we just concentrate on this new album instead of making all these useless noises about "a possibily last album"?....we will have them around for the next 2 and half years, what can we ask for? do we have to suck their blood? what will come will come, i'd rather be worried if i wouldn't be there anymore in 2-3 years instead of troubling my mind about their last album, amuse yourself first to your life, then to U2! :wink: :wink: :wink:

I thought the end with the Beatles was a nasty fight among the band members.

I hope the end of U2 is not like the Beatles...that is very sad

When I said The Beatles I meant it in that the band just stopped, people didn't show up to the studio anymore and all that, as opposed to Kiss, The Who, Cher and so forth doing farewell tour after farewell tour and just dragging it out. I don't foresee there being this big build-up and hoopla for the end of U2, I think that one day it will just end.

Of course, I do hope that day is long off.

jick said:
U2 have lived by the motto "two straight crap albums and you're out." They did the crap-POP but they made a comeback with ATYCLB.

Rumor has it that HTDAAB is going to tank. An local record exec who is a huge U2 fan and CLAIMS (unverified claim if you ask me) to have heard the album said words to this effect:

-Edge seems to be trying too hard, as if he wants to make every song have a signature riff and have some funk in it - he doesn't sound like traditional Edge who plays repetitive, economical, and disciplined. He is trying to be a guitar hero through big stadium-type play-along riffs but still no major guitar hero solos (still very few in this album)

-Most songs have guitars that sound like the Boy-War era but are "riffy" a la Mysterious Ways, Hold Me Thrill Me, Desire. But the songs are not purely raw since there are still effects mixed in (he did not specify but I think he meant loops, synths, sequencers, etc).

-The songs sound uncomfortable because while the guitars are early era U2 thereby making one expect a rocker (especially a couple of songs that start out with just the guitar riff), they disappoint when the drums come in because the tempo is slow(tempo is slow ATYCLB live U2) and the vocals sound beat up(Bono's vocals sound older and raspier and thinning).

-There is a slow poignant song that isn't guitar riffy and Bono does crystal clear vocals (a la Grace) and is pehaps one of the most beautiful slow songs of U2 ever. The record exec claims it will give "One" a run for its money. He said that the current state of Bono's voice is tailor-fit for these slower quiet songs, and he is surprised why the album didnt' have more of this types of songs.

-He concluded by predicting that this album will tank because it lacks the "bite" and faster tempo of today's modern rock bands, while the guitars are quite prominent to make this album belong in the mellow rock category.

He did not specify which song titles referred to which otherwise he would be fired. But he did mention Vertigo is a good representation of what the entire album sounds like (kinda like how BD was a good representation of ATYCLB) and not like previous lead-off singles (Numb, Discotheque) which weren't incidcations as to what the album was all about. He said Vertigo is his second favorite track in the album (next to the unnamed slow poignant song).

Well, from all indications it looks like the album will tank. U2 has mentioned "dismantle" in the album title - after an album had the phrase "leave behind". The Vertigo shoot has the band members far away from each other - sort of separated.

So there is a possibility that U2 won't be true to their word that 2 crap albums and you're out. Instead, I feel that this will be U2 last album.

Cheers,

J

This is rubbish!

dsmith2904 said:

When I said The Beatles I meant it in that the band just stopped, people didn't show up to the studio anymore and all that, as opposed to Kiss, The Who, Cher and so forth doing farewell tour after farewell tour and just dragging it out. I don't foresee there being this big build-up and hoopla for the end of U2, I think that one day it will just end.

Of course, I do hope that day is long off.

The people in this band are married for life. The band will "always" be a band. They will record less. They will not go "round the world" touring. Don't ever expect U2 to hang up the number. Unless, God forbid, accident or injury.

U2 is an accident of history. U2 will remain.

I think they've said they record every album likes it's their first and their last, so they probably do not even know.

But I do love the title of the record and to think that one interpretation of it is it asking how to find a way to safely dismantle (i.e break up) a device that explodes (i.e. the band and its huge success) is great U2 symbolism. And to all the critics who say they've put irony behind them! U2 will always have the last laugh.

Dalkey Beach said:
The people in this band are married for life. The band will "always" be a band. They will record less. They will not go "round the world" touring. Don't ever expect U2 to hang up the number. Unless, God forbid, accident or injury.

U2 is an accident of history. U2 will remain.

Hear, Hear!!!:applaud:

Back
Top Bottom