U2's influence on hard rock and metal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Valleygirl,

What +Live+ song mentioned Bono? I know that was their big dream....Ed'Kowalski's first ever concert was Wash DC on the JT tour when he was 16 (otherwise known as The Show Where Bono Broke His Shoulder).

I can't listen to Live anymore. It makes me want to weep, what the msic biz did to that band. It started long before Ed lost his voice for a year. That wasn't it. They were America's answer to U2, I've been to their hsows and I knew, and they could have been one of the biggest acts this counitry has ever produced. Period. They still were so far ahead of their itme and unlike anybody else, they had THE one true essesinal of greatness: they came from a very powerful and very real PHYSICAL PLACE. In this case a unique place: the America of the Revolutionary War...the birth of freedom..York, PA and the battlefields and the tourists..thet fed off that....

Darn. I have to go into the corner and cry....I can't read the intials POD and not start singing the majestic "Pillars of Davidson"...

It is "People Like You" by Live that namechecks Bono

In a dream I had
I was standing on a stage with Queen
Michael Stipe and Elton John
Bono, Springsteen
Singing Hallelujah, Rock and Roll is King

Linkin Park is one that I remember. there was a making of when they were making Hybrid Theory they watched the Making Of The Joshua Tree and the process that went into it.

I believe Radiohead is another 1 that counts U2 as 1 of there influences ?

Teta040 said:
Valleygirl,

What +Live+ song mentioned Bono? I know that was their big dream....Ed'Kowalski's first ever concert was Wash DC on the JT tour when he was 16 (otherwise known as The Show Where Bono Broke His Shoulder).

I can't listen to Live anymore. It makes me want to weep, what the msic biz did to that band. It started long before Ed lost his voice for a year. That wasn't it. They were America's answer to U2, I've been to their hsows and I knew, and they could have been one of the biggest acts this counitry has ever produced. Period. They still were so far ahead of their itme and unlike anybody else, they had THE one true essesinal of greatness: they came from a very powerful and very real PHYSICAL PLACE. In this case a unique place: the America of the Revolutionary War...the birth of freedom..York, PA and the battlefields and the tourists..thet fed off that....

Darn. I have to go into the corner and cry....I can't read the intials POD and not start singing the majestic "Pillars of Davidson"...
I am so glad to hear there are other Live fans out there. Yes, they are truly masters. If you go to their website, Friends of Live, Chad Taylor the lead guitarist mentions U2 and how influential they have beem numerous times in his diary entries. I never miss a Live concert and I also thought they could be as big as U2. I never knew Ed lost his voice for a year.

Thank you Unforgettable Lemon, People Like You is a great song! All about Ed's dream of changing the world. Even though their album "V" was a commercial flop I thought it was innovative and brilliant.

I think "V" was quite interesting musically, but lyrically... it was lacking on about 3/4 of the songs. "Overcome" was amazing, though. I'd heard the leak a few weeks before 9/11, and then the song was released that day. It was very surreal. Birds of Pray was meh. The tracklisting for the Best of is disappointing. I would have at least put "Simple Creed" and "The Distance"

i know tea party played one live.. also limp bizkit mentioned u2 quite often.. not that anyone wants to know that..

Johnny Cash: "One"

Peter Gabriel attended the Zootv tour 4 times. Must have liked it.

U2 have revolutionized the internation concert scene in AT LEAST 4 different eras. I like how media slagged POPMART and noticed the companies stealing the tours ideas(ie: Kylie video, big screen on BRIT awards etc...)

Members of U2's touring and recording crew are highly sought after when the group are dormant. Lillywhite has worked with the group, off and on, for 25 years!!!!

U2 offered Nirvana the opening slot for the Zootv tour, then they picked the Pixies when they turned it down. I don't recall if Kurt was ever asked about the offer. Kurt may have only known Bono because he was a friend of Stipe's. I think members of U2 took in a Nirvana gig somewhere.

I would say that No Doubt, Radiohead and Coldy have all borrowed from U2. they are also huge fans.

I saw BBKing show in 1997 and he did "love comes to town" as an encore.

U2FP

Marilyn Manson mentions in his Autobiography, how he and Trent Reznor enjoyed attending one of the ZOO TV gigs.

Trent also was at the gig at the 'secret' gig at the Astoria a few years back too.

Manson also said that "Bono is a nice guy, for a Christian."

...because...

Manson was offered an opening slot on Popmart. :yikes:

UnforgettableLemon said:
Oh yeah. Fred Durst's a BIG fan. Wish I could have kept on forgetting that. :wink:

that sucks. Nothing displeases me more than Limp Bizkit, the only decent part of the band left.

Back
Top Bottom