U2's Hey Jude

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

intedomine

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Well, thats the kinda feeling I get whenever I hear Original of the Species.

The do do do's in OOTS remind me of the nah nah nah nah's of the classic Beatles song Hey Jude.

From a considerably toned down beginning, OOTS also builds itself up into quite a spelndid and explosive song, with a vibrant chorus, like Hey Jude.

The most telling similarity however is the lyrical meaning behind the songs.

According to Bono, Original of the Species is about Edge's daughter and the lyrics are addressed to her.

According to Paul McCartney, Hey Jude is written about and addressed to Julian, Lennon's son. (However, for lyrical pruposes McCartney changed the lyric from Jules to Jude.)

Both songs are directed towards the offspring of a fellow band memeber.

Just a few similarities I've noticed and I've concluded that OOTS is indeed Beatlesque, as many have acknowledged, yet in more ways than just the sound of the song.

i disaggree...the most typical feature of hey jude is the fact that the "na na na"-part could continue forever (and that's actually what it does: it just fades out after several minutes of continuing chorus) so to me the only u2 song that is blessed with such a similar chorus is 40 from War

intedomine said:

The do do do's in OOTS remind me of the nah nah nah nah's of the classic Beatles song Hey Jude.

From a considerably toned down beginning, OOTS also builds itself up into quite a spelndid and explosive song, with a vibrant chorus, like Hey Jude.

According to Bono, Original of the Species is about Edge's daughter and the lyrics are addressed to her.

According to Paul McCartney, Hey Jude is written about and addressed to Julian, Lennon's son. (However, for lyrical pruposes McCartney changed the lyric from Jules to Jude.)

Just a few similarities I've noticed and I've concluded that OOTS is indeed Beatlesque, as many have acknowledged, yet in more ways than just the sound of the song.

I said this same friggen thing to my brother-in-law when the album came out!

intedomine said:

OMG

My sentiments exactly. The first time I heard this song, I thought, "Wow, this sounds like the Beatles." Especially, the violins. This song is awesome.

Both are great songs, but Hey Jude is just that much better! IMHO of course!

Good to see some people saw the similarities.

Although it does sound kinda beatlesque, its the lyrical topic that really makes me think of Hey Jude.

U2 don't need no Hey Jude, the Beatle's didn't hang around enough to have a Streets or a Discotheque:wink:

ZeroDude said:
U2 don't need no Hey Jude, the Beatle's didn't hang around enough to have a Streets or a Discotheque:wink:

:laugh: I don't know why that's funny, but it is. Closest The Beatles had to a Discotheque was Helter Skelter, which was some song they stole from U2 anyway, or something like that. :wink:

Original to Hey Jude...never made that comparison before (though the song screamed Beatles the first time I heard it), but now that you mention it, they are very similar - both about a bandmate's kid and both have that very joyous, uplifting feeling...and I think Original could really become a U2 classic, given time. It's the most purely joyful song I've ever heard in my life...amazing. Though I also agree with whoever mentioned 40 - it could kinda go on forever just like Hey Jude (which, in those cases isn't a bad thing).

Back
Top Bottom