u2's first "masterpiece" ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

achtung davy

The Fly
it aint joshua tree and its not boy..... u2's first masterpiece is WAR. produced and mixed by Steve Lillywhite, its also u2's last raw album. Any album that reads Sunday Bloody Sunday ,Seconds, New Year's Day as the first three songs is goina be good. As for The Refugee and Red light, they are two of u2's best and most underated songs.

if this new album is any thing like war, its goina be great.

Daithí

http://jedijane.tripod.com

I love War! :heart:

Great guitars and awesome arrangements. They were becoming much better songwriters. Bono wrote some great lyrics and gave us some kick ass melodies and chorus!! Bass and drums are perfection. Love the album!!!!! :up:

war

each to their own martha. ;) You probably dont like bands like joydivision, devo, talking heads or fugazi either but alot of people do, they have the same raw energy and stripped down sound that the War album has. it is a great album :)

Daithí

http://jedijane.tripod.com/

Last edited:
War is definitely good, but it's not nearly one of their best IMO. It's just not varied enough for me. The songs are almost all on the same theme tooo, war.

I think Boy and October are the only U2 albums I like worse than War.

achtung davy said:
it aint joshua tree and its not boy..... u2's first masterpiece is WAR. produced and mixed by Steve Lillywhite, its also u2's last raw album. Any album that reads Sunday Bloody Sunday ,Seconds, New Year's Day as the first three songs is goina be good. As for The Refugee and Red light, they are two of u2's best and most underated songs.

Daithí

I agree with everything you say, except I wouldn't exactly call Refugee and Red Light two of their best songs ever. They are very underrated though, and they fit in perfectly with the overall sound of the album.

I actually "officially" own War and October as of last week as supposed to borrowd copies.

As for the 1st masterpiece, I have to go with UF too not because of success of Pride but because I usually don't skip over any songs when listening to UF but it's an entirely different story with War.

achtung davy said:

Daithí

I couldnt agree with you more :applaud: 2 HEARTS BEAT AS 1!!!

Re: war

achtung davy said:
each to their own martha. ;) You probably dont like bands like joydivision, devo, talking heads or fugazi either but alot of people do, they have the same raw energy and stripped down sound that the War album has. it is a great album :)

Be careful what you assume, sweetie! ;)

I almost puked from dancing too much when I saw Talking Heads right around the time you were born. :wink:

I saw Devo before you were born.

And while Two Hearts is my absolute all-time favorite U2 song, I don't like the rest of the album all that much.

Boy was a masterpiece of a debut.

October was a masterpiece of spiritual expression.

War was a fantastic album, containing two of the greatest songs ever made (SBS and NYD), the best concert closer ever (40), and one of U2's four most beautiful songs (Drowning Man), but is not a masterpiece. Though I don't want to believe it, Seconds has aged tremendously. Red Light is a disgusting, revolting song, possibly U2's worst, and I cannot listen to it, no matter how much I try. The Refugee isn't as bad as people make it sound ... in fact, I somewhat like it. Two Hearts Beat As One is over-rated, but was fantastic live with Surrender and Edge's guitar really came to the fore.

UF was the first all-round masterpiece, the first 'masterpiece as a whole', and remains the only U2 album to flow flawlessly. It's the best album they've ever made. Atmospheric, ethereal, and stunningly beautiful, it contains incredible musical landscapes painted to perfection. There is no album quite like it.

Last edited:
martha said:
:|

War is my least favorite U2 album.

Mine too. :|

My opinion of Red Light and The Refugee is almost totally the opposite of the one the original poster had. It's strange, BTW, as the first half of that record is really good, but the second half lets it down (only "40" redeems it a bit).

I would have to say that the album "BOY" is a masterpiece. I love the guitar riffs, I love Bono's lyrics, and his voice(so sincere, and just being himself, not trying to coppy another style, but his own style). I dont know but I love that album, every song.

October is also a masterpiece in itself, a very deep album(religously speaking). And I love the lyrics.And every song

War is is an awsome album too, and an masterpiece. And whoeever said it lets down the second half of the album is crazy. I disagree and feel it is very even flowed how the tracks are put, and every song is strong, and exciting.

I could go on forever, I seriously, without a doubt feel that every U2 album is a masterpiece. Every song.

I think "The Unforgettable Fire" was when U2 first realized their own mastery of music and song. :wink:

From "A Sort of Homecoming" to "The Unforgettable Fire" to "Pride" to "BAD"( U2's first masterpiece song -my humble opinion), UF takes us through a range of emotions while providing us with a soundscape unheard of before with U2. :angel:

So my vote for U2's first masterpiece album would be "The Unforgettable Fire".

I"LL BE THERE TONIGHT....:larry: :adam: :edge: :bono: :love: :hug:

I think boy is a masterpiece,it's great!! October is crap,well it's just not my thing!!But all of their album's are great!!
Especially Achtung Baby!!Their best album by far!!The joshua tree has nothing on that album!!

First masterpiece was either 'Boy' or 'Unforgettable Fire' if you want to be really picky about WHY.

All I'm saying...

War is the album that roped me in as a fan, Joshua Tree will always hold a special place in my heart for the time in my life that it represents, and I'm estatically waiting for November 23rd...
That being said, IMO, U2's first masterpiece was The Unforgettable Fire. It just seems to me that everything had finally matured together on that album: lyrics, voices, music, image. In my mind, that's why Joshua Tree was such a HUGE hit...the guys had finally hit their stride.

Then again, what the hell do I know??? :huh: :lmao:

remember, after war came out, rolling stone crowned them "band of the 80's." it must have struck a chord with some people other than crazy u2 fans...

Back
Top Bottom