U2's entire LP discography LIVE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
I had been on a 'U2 break' for the last year or so, meaning I wasn't listening to large amounts of U2 on any kind of regular basis. I'm just now getting back, and in order to not burn myself out too quickly again, I've been avoiding the studio albums and focusing hardcore on the live output. For fun, I reconstructed all eleven LPs LIVE, using the tracks that I thought represented the best combination of performance quality and sound quality for each song. There are of course a number of songs that were never performed live and therefore cannot be included. Without further ado...

Boy LIVE

1.I Will Follow -2004 November 20, Saturday Night Live
2.Twilight - 1983 June 5 Red Rocks, Sweetest Thing single
3.An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart - 1983 June 5 Red Rocks, Sweetest Thing single
4.Out Of Control - 1981 March 6 Boston, Sweetest Thing single
5.Stories For Boys - 1981 March 6 Boston, Sweetest Thing single
6.The Ocean - 1981 November 22 New York, bootleg
7.A Day Without Me - Under A Blood Red Sky video
8.Another Time, Another Place - 1982 March 18 New York, bootleg
9.11 O'Clock Tick Tock - Under A Blood Red Sky record
10.The Electric Co. - Vertigo 2005 Live From Chicago
11.Shadows And Tall Trees - 1980 February 26 Dublin, bootleg

NOTES
A.The I Will Follow SNL performance kicks all kinds of ass.
B.All of the tracks taken from the ST single are superb.
C.I added 11 O'Clock Tick Tock here because you haven't it heard until you've heard it live, and it didn't have anywhere else to go.

October LIVE

1.Gloria - Under A Blood Red Sky record
2.I Fall Down - 1983 June 5 Red Rocks, bootleg
3.I Threw A Brick - Under A Blood Red Sky video
4.Rejoice - 1981 November 22 New York, bootleg
5.Fire - 1982 July 4 Werchter, New Year's Day single
6.Tomorrow - 1983 February 26 Dundee, bootleg
7.October - Under A Blood Red Sky video
8.With A Shout - 1981 November 22 New York, bootleg
9.Scarlet - 1981 October 14 BBC

NOTES
A.Given that a lot of these songs haven't seen the light of day since they were new, choices were limited for this record.
B.This is the only time U2 has ever performed Scarlet live.

War LIVE

1.Sunday Bloody Sunday - Under A Blood Red Sky video
2.Seconds - Under A Blood Red Sky video
3.New Year's Day - Popmart Mexico City
4.Like A Song - 1983 February 26 Dundee, bootleg
5.Party Girl - Under A Blood Red Sky record
6.Two Hearts Beat As One - 1983 June 5 Red Rocks, bootleg
7.Surrender - Under A Blood Red Sky video
8."40" - Under A Blood Red Sky video

NOTES
A.As with October, choices were limited.
B.I specifically picked the UABRS VIDEO version of SBS over the UABRS RECORD version, because the VIDEO version has the full middle 8(i.e. 'I'll wipe you BLOOD-SHOT eyes' and all the 'no more' stuff).
C.This performance of Like A Song came from the first gig of the War Tour, and is the one and only time U2 has ever performed it live.
D.I added Party Girl here, kind of sort of in place of Drowning Man(although the latter is a superior song) because it's a fun live favorite and I always thought it fit better with War than October.

The Unforgettable Fire LIVE

1.A Sort Of Homecoming - Wide Awake In America
2.Pride(In The Name Of Love) - Rattle And Hum
3.Wire - 1985 February 5 Bologna, bootleg
4.The Unforgettable Fire - 1987 April 29 Chicago, bootleg
5.Bad - Wide Awake In America
6.Indian Summer Sky - 1984 October 23 Nantes, bootleg
7.MLK - Rattle And Hum

NOTES
A.Outside of Pride and Bad, this is perhaps the least known U2 LP as far as live output goes. No one ever talks about the UF tour, and the idea of Wire or Indiana Summer Sky live is hardly ever brought up. These two songs in particular were the most purely new experiences for me in this whole thing.
B.The 1987 April 29 Chicago bootleg from which I took TUF is the famous 'Rock's Hottest Ticket' boot, and it is a phenomenal show. A must-hear all the way through.
C.I know many would pick Live Aid or R&H over WAIA for Bad, but I think the WAIA performance is perfect.

The Joshua Tree LIVE

1.Where The Streets Have No Name - ZooTV Sydney
2.I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - Popmart Mexico City
3.With Or Without You - ZooTV Sydney
4.Bullet The Blue Sky - ZooTV Sydney
5.Running To Stand Still - ZooTV Sydney
6.In God's Country - 1987 April 29 Chicago, bootleg
7.Trip Through You Wires - 1987 April 29 Chicago, bootleg
8.One Tree Hill - Rattle And Hum, via outtake at the end of the Best Of 1980-1990 video
9.Exit - 1987 April 29 Chicago, bootleg
10.Mothers Of The Disappeared - 1998 February 11 Santiago, bootleg

NOTES
A.The first half of JT is the opposite of October and War, insofar as where the latter two were somewhat limited in choices, there are hundreds and hundreds of performances of Streets, Still, WOWY, Bullet, and RTSS to choose from. And yet my choices for three of them still came from ZooTV Sydney - a testment to how fucking incredible that show was.
B.Again, IGC and Exit are taken from the 'Rock's Hottest Ticket' boot.
C.I opted against IGC from R&H because it was abbreviated, and I opted against Exit from R&H because I just liked this one more.
D.I struggled to choose between the performance of MOTD on the 'Rock's Hottest Ticket' boot - which was more like the album version - and the more stripped down but emotionally charged Popmart Santiago version. Santiago won out in the end, because of the vocal melody Bono sings in the chorus, a melody that was originally only played on guitar.

Rattle And Hum LIVE

1.Van Dieman's Land - 1989 December 30 Dublin, bootleg
2.Desire - 1989 December 30 Dublin, bootleg
3.Hawkmoon 269 - 1989 October 8 Melbourne, bootleg
4.Angel Of Harlem - U2 Go Home(Elevation Slane)
5.Love Rescue Me - 1989 December 30 Dublin, bootleg
6.When Love Comes To Town - 1989 December 30 Dublin, bootleg
7.God Part II - 1989 December 30 Dublin, bootleg
8.All I Want Is You - U2 Go Home(Elevation Slane)

NOTES
A.Outside of Hawkmoon, Angel Of Harlem, and All I Want Is You, every track here was taken from the 1989 December 30 Point Depot show. If you're going to use one performance to make the bulk of a record(albiet a short one), might as well pick one of the best ones from that tour.
B.That performance of AIWIY is slightly flawed in that it isn't Bono's greatest vocal performance, but instrumentally it's top-notch, and the way Bono shouts 'All I want is fucking you, man!' right as Edge hits the instrumental climax pushes it over the top for me.

Achtung Baby LIVE

1.Zoo Station - ZooTV Sydney
2.Even Better Than The Real Thing - Popmart Mexico City
3.One - ZooTV Sydney
4.Until The End Of The World - ZooTV Sydney
5.Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses - 1992 June 11 Stockholm, bootleg
6.So Cruel - 1992 August 6 Hershey, soundcheck bootleg
7.The Fly - Vertigo 2005 Live From Chicago
8.Mysterious Ways - ZooTV Sydney
9.Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World - 1992 June 11 Stockholm, bootleg
10.Ultraviolet(Light My Way) - 1992 June 11 Stockholm, bootleg
11.Acrobat - 1992 August 6 Hershey, soundcheck
12.Love Is Blindness - ZooTV Sydney

NOTES
A.Where to start? For this record, you look primarily at ZooTV, one of the greatest tours in history, and yet I still only used two shows - the officially released one, and the famous 'Dancing ZooTV' boot from Stockholm, so named because Benny and Bjorn from Abba showed up that night and played Dancing Queen with U2.
B.The prolonged intro of the Popmart version of EBTTRT gives it the nod for me.
C.So Cruel was actually performed for real three times during ZooTV, but I really feel that the performance in the Hershey soundcheck is superior to any of those three. For those that have these recordings, there are two performances of So Cruel in this soundcheck - I am referring to the longer, full one.
D.I had to include the soundcheck of Acrobat. I actually love it and I wish they had performed it that way for real.

Zooropa LIVE

1.Zooropa - 1993 August 11/12 London, bootleg
2.Babyface - 1993 August 11/12 London, bootleg
3.Numb - ZooTV Sydney
4.Lemon - ZooTV Sydney
5.Stay(Faraway, So Close) - ZooTV Sydney
6.Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car - ZooTV Sydney
7.Miss Sarajevo - 2005 July 20 Milan, All Because Of You single
8.The First Time - 2005 October 11 New York, bootleg
9.Dirty Day - ZooTV Sydney
10.The Wanderer - 2005 November 2 Los Angeles, recording from Johnny Cash tribute

NOTES
A.The recording I got Zooropa and Babyface from is simply labled 'ZooTV Wembley'. There are two Wembley shows in which both songs were performed. I honestly do not know which one this particular recording is from.
B.Some Days Are Better Than Others was never performed, and since Miss Sarajevo was released in 1995, it seemed like an obvious choice to fill the spot.
C.This is the only time U2 has ever performed The Wanderer, and as such, is the only time we have ever heard Bono sing it.

Pop LIVE

1.Mofo - Popmart Mexico City
2.Gone - Popmart Mexico City
3.Do You Feel Loved - 1997 April 25 Las Vegas, bootleg
4.Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me - Popmart Mexico City
5.If God Will Send His Angels - 1997 April 28 San Diego, bootleg
6.Staring At The Sun - Popmart Mexico City
7.Miami - 1997 August 28 Leeds, bootleg
8.Last Night On Earth - Popmart Mexico City
9.Discotheque - Popmart Mexico City
10.If You Wear That Velvet Dress - Popmart Mexico City
11.Please - Popmart Mexico City
12.Wake Up Dead Man - Popmart Mexico City

NOTES
A.This is the first of three records where I significantly changed the running order. This is because a lot of these songs became SUCH different beasts live that the studio running order no longer made sense.
B.This performance of Do You Feel Loved was taken from the opening night Las Vegas Popmart show. I actually feel it is the strongest of the few performances this song was ever given.
C.If God Will Send His Angels is completely stripped down and really only 2/3 of the song. The whole 'christmas tree/burning a fuse/cartoon network turns into the news' verse is not to be heard, in this or any other of the few performances this song was given. This song was never really fully realized live, it was never given a fair chance, so I just picked the best one I could find.
D.This Leeds performance of Miami kicks my ass every time. It makes the studio version sound utterly tame.
E.Everything else is from the official release.

All That You Can't Leave Behind LIVE

1.Elevation - Elevation Boston
2.Beautiful Day - Vertigo 2005 Live From Chicago
3.New York - Elevation Boston
4.Kite - 2006 November 11 Sydney, Window In The Skies single
5.In A Little While - Elevation Boston
6.The Ground Beneath Her Feet - 2001 March 24 Miami, bootleg
7.Wild Honey - 2001 June 22 New Jersey, bootleg
8.Stuck In A Moment - 2005 October 6, Late Night With Conan O'Brien
9.Sweetest Thing - 2001 March 24 Miami, bootleg
10.Walk On - U2 Go Home(Elevation Slane)

NOTES
A.This is the second of three records where I significantly changed the running order. It ended up resembling the Elevation Tour setlists. The thing is, it's unfair to any song to have to follow the 'hallelujah's of Walk On, so Walk On had to be the closer, and Elevation had to be the opener, so...everything else fell into place.
B.This performance of The Ground Beneath Her Feet was taken from the opening night Miami Elevation show. I find it utterly beautiful.
C.I liked the Vertigo Tour acoustic-to-full-band-at-the-end versions of Stuck a little more than the Elevation Tour versions, and the Conan O'Brien performance was by far the best sound quality, given that it was a telecast.
D.This performance of Sweetest Thing is from that same opening night Miami Elevation show. I know ST wasn't on this record, but this was the first tour since the 1998 version was released as a single, and this tour was the only time it was ever played live, and I thought it fit.

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb LIVE

1.Love And Peace Or Else - Vertigo 2005 Live From Chicago
2.Vertigo - Vertigo 2005 Live From Chicago
3.Fast Cars - 2005 October 14 New York, bootleg
4.Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - Vertigo 2005 Live From Chicago
5.City Of Blinding Lights - 2004 November 22 Brooklyn Bridge, bootleg
6.Window in The Skies - 2006 December 4 Tokyo, bootleg
7.All Because Of You - Vertigo 2005 Live From Chicago
8.Crumbs From Your Table - 2005 October 11 New York, bootleg
9.Miracle Drug - Vertigo 2005 Live From Chicago
10.Original Of The Species - Vertigo Live From Chicago
11.Yahweh - Vertigo 2005 Live From Chicago

NOTES
A.This is the third of three records were I significantly changed the running order. This was mostly due to my preference of having LAPOE as the opener(and what a kickass opener it is) and going from there.
B.The Brooklyn Bridge performance of COBL is NOT the officially released soundboard recording that was available on ITunes. This is a crowd boot. I wanted it this way because COBL's chorus is the only chorus in U2's entire catalog where I think it sounds better when sung by a few thousand ecstatic fans than just by Bono. The energy in this crowd defies description. The songs were brand new(the record had leaked just two weeks earlier and was actually officially released the very next day in the States) and you can literally feel the excitement in these peoples' voices as they scream OH YOU LOOK SO BEAUTIFUL TONGHT.
C.WITS isn't likely to be back next tour, and given that AMAAW and OSC aren't here, I thought it was an appropriate fill-in.
D.I know that many of you would have picked a later full-band version of OOTS, but I am in the minority in feeling that the early stripped down keyboard-only versions are the best versions of OOTS in existence.

Well, there you have it. I hope at the very least that it entertained you for a few minutes.

Last edited:
t8thgr8 said:
:drool: upload them as sets

I've been wanting to compile this sort of thing for so long. All of these sounds really great. If you can't upload them all, at least upload Pop? Would be much appreciated I'm sure by all:wink:

11 O'Clock Tick Tock has to be the '81 Berlin performance with the three solos. That's all that's jumped out at me.

Nice choices. I have most of the recordings and those are solid performances. Something to maybe think about...throw in one of the kickass live versions of Spanish Eyes, since we don't have Red Hill. I'd suggest one of these: 1987-07-21 Munich, 1987-09-28 NYC, or 1987-11-24 Fort Worth. Or if not that then toss in Springhill Mining Disaster from Rock's Hottest Ticket, if only for "Stop whistling cuz I'm not in the Beatles OK? It's U2 here".

I have a great many of these boots and haven't paid any attention in a while. I do what you do.....listen and pay close attention for a while then kinda get burned out so move on to other music then shift back to U2 again. I love that. I have my U2 collective stuff on a separate hd for safekeeping:wink: Thanks for shareing your lists and thoughts, this was an enjoyable read. :up:

Your choices are very good and, of course, your opinion. The one area I would strongly disagree is your selecion for "With or Without You".

The only time I felt that song really soared live was either on the JT or Love Town tours. There are times when U2 have done very good jobs with that song, but I felt it was really abbreviated on the ZOO TV tour - in fact, your selection was one of the worst performance I felt U2 did of that song. It's almost as if they were tired of singing it so much on the JT/Love Town tours that they just quickly ran through it on ZOO TV just because they had to (as it was such a big hit).

Therefore, I would substitute for that one song. Otherwise, thanks for your list. :wave:

Thanks for doing that. Lot of work. Now of course I am deeply in need of these. Could ya PLEASE work on uploading for those of us without ....
:drool:

didnt even notice the jt songs, wtf zootv versions? i know the where the streets have no name and with or without you from rattle and hum kicks any zootv version's ass

Very nice choices. I wouldn't know where to begin to put all of those together even though I have most of them.

The one that jumped out at me was from Slane - All I Want is You. Whenever I hear or think of that song I think of Slane first!

Ok guys.

First of all, WOWY is the song I had agonized the most over in the whole thing. It was the very last song I made a decision for, and I changed my mind again almost as soon as I posted and I forgot to edit. I went from the ZooTV Sydney version, to one of the earlier ZooTV versions with the solo at the end, back to the ZooTV version. When I changed my mind after posting, it was because I decided that the 1987 April 29 Chicago - "Rock's Hottest Ticket" performance was the best performance of the song ever. I've felt that way for a while, but I just totally forgot about that performance when I was deciding for WOWY.

Second of all, I've taken CTU2fan's advice and added the 1987 July 21 Munich performance of Spanish Eyes to JT, where RHMT would be.

Third of all, I have uploaded all the boots in zip file. I have not included anything from the official releases(Under A Blood Red Sky RECORD, R&H, ZooTV Sydney, Popmart Mexico City, Elevation Boston, U2 Go Home, Vertigo Chicago) because I'm assuming everybody has them or can get them easily. I have, however, included tracks from the Under A Blood Red Sky VIDEO and any tracks that were taken from singles, because I know those tracks might be a little harder to come by. So, this zip file is all boots plus what I described. Oh, and I counted SNL I Will Follow and Conan Stuck as boots. Ok, here we go. It's nearly 300MB:

http://www.mega upload.com/?d=66MOQXNX

namkcuR said:
Ok guys.

"First of all, WOWY is the song I had agonized the most over in the whole thing. It was the very last song I made a decision for, and I changed my mind again almost as soon as I posted and I forgot to edit. I went from the ZooTV Sydney version, to one of the earlier ZooTV versions with the solo at the end, back to the ZooTV version. When I changed my mind after posting, it was because I decided that the 1987 April 29 Chicago - "Rock's Hottest Ticket" performance was the best performance of the song ever. I've felt that way for a while, but I just totally forgot about that performance when I was deciding for WOWY. "

I agree the best WOWY was Chicago April 29, 1987 ..:whistle: !!

For me, live U2 is the ONLY way to go. No offense, but their studio albums are just the warm up. It is all about these songs getting translated and, hopefully, elevated :wink: in the live setting.
Great job namkcuR! Love your list.

I was under the impression that extended snippets of "When I Look At The World"(St. Louis? 2001) and "Heartland"(R&H down under) were played by U2

U2FanPeter said:
I was under the impression that extended snippets of "When I Look At The World"(St. Louis? 2001) and "Heartland"(R&H down under) were played by U2

I was under the impression that extended snippets were not full songs. :wink:

phanan said:
The definitive live version of One Tree Hill is the 12/26/89 version from the Point Depot. Nothing else comes close.

Is it any shock that I agree wholeheartedly? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom