U2's definitive live performances

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZeroDude

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
So what would yours be mine would have to be the R and H performance of Exit and The Fly of the Boston DVD and 11 O' clock tick tock from Red Rocks, I still need to hear the oft talked about ZooTv Dortmund version of Bullet which I need badly, no not badly but some sort of desparation undescribable in the english language, so waht are your picks

Celticfc said:

I think everyone must agree it was Live Aid

I don't... :| IMO, that isn't a particularily good version of "Bad"...I've heard much better on various bootlegs.

Difinitive performances? Hmm...

I'd have to say Pride on R&H became the difinitive live version of that song...

Other random songs:
Beautiful Day- 12/2/01
Mysterious Ways- Without a doubt, the 8-26-93 version in Dublin
Sunday Bloody Sunday- UABRS

With or Without You from R&H my all time favorite live performance :drool: Its what made me the fanatic i am today :yes:

It´s clear why this forum is called "EVERYTHING YOU KNOW IS WRONG" :wink:

Trust me ;) most of the official live releases weren´t the best performances, except Zoo TV, UABRS CD and some numbers from Rattle & Hum movie :yes:

Live Aid was great,but not the greatest...
Mysterious Ways - Stockholm,June 11. 1992

Discotheque - Popmart Mexico Video

The Fly - The famous Boston DVD version

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (with the intro) - Sarajevo, 23.September 1997

Sunday Blooday Sunday - R&H

Dirty Day and Zoo Station from Sydney

also "where the streets have no name" from Boston DVD is classic and amazing - especially that ending. :drool: :drool:

For me, it would be Love is Blindness and Ultraviolet from ZooTV Concert in Dublin August 1993.

Most intense performance of Ultraviolet ever, really brought out the best in the song.

The All I Want is You/Streets combination from the Slane DVD is just...:drool:

Sunday Bloody Sunday from Under a Blood Red Sky

Bad from Live Aid

Pride from Rattle and Hum

Even Better Than The Real thing from the 1992 MTV Video Music Awards with Dana Carvey

One Bono with Pavoratti

Sunday Bloody Sunday from Red Rocks

Bad from Live Aid

With or Without You from the Rock's Hottest Ticket bootleg

I Will Follow from Saturday Night Live (2004)

R&H: Exit

Zoo TV: Dirty Day

Popmart Mexico: Please/I Still haven't found what I'm looking for

Elevation Boston: The Fly/Stay

U2 Go Home: All I want is you/streets

The Fly from the Boston DVD would certainly have to be on there. Now I'm curious about that Dublin live version of Ultraviolet, lol.

NOTHING can compete with One Tree Hill, 26 December 1989. Best live performance of any song by any band ever. Anyone who likes music should have a copy of that performance.

Bono's shades said:
I Will Follow from Saturday Night Live (2004)

It was awesome, yes, but it wasn't their best performance. My favorite one actually is the one from two days later...

"NOTHING can compete with One Tree Hill, 26 December 1989. Best live performance of any song by any band ever. Anyone who likes music should have a copy of that performance."

Hey Axver,

I have this song on audio and its simply amazing. Would you by any chance have the video of this performance?

Sken

ZeroDude said:
So what would yours be mine would have to be the R and H performance of Exit and The Fly of the Boston DVD and 11 O' clock tick tock from Red Rocks, I still need to hear the oft talked about ZooTv Dortmund version of Bullet which I need badly, no not badly but some sort of desparation undescribable in the english language, so waht are your picks

boston fly is piss weak man, u gotta get in2 the fly from the zoo tv era, by far the best........ either the sydney version, version off the fox outside broadcast or the dublin zooropa version........ the clip ive seen from the wembly 93 show (the first wembly show of 93) is totaly awsome 2

Boston Fly owns any other Fly I've heard including the Sydney one, the solo and Edge's tone is far cleaner plus the intro is great strecthing it to 6 minutes and 55 seconds of The Fly and that is an achievement in fact it owns Stairway to Heaven imo as a song, my favorite performance of it and hell I've heard a few

One Tree Hill - Dublin, December 26th 1989
With or Without You - Tempe, December 19th 1987
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - Rotterdam, May 11th 1993
One - Tacoma, April 21st 1992
Love is Blindness - Birmingham, June 1st 1992
Mysterious Ways - Dublin, August 28th 1993
Bad - East Rutherford, April 15th 1985

Sken said:
"NOTHING can compete with One Tree Hill, 26 December 1989. Best live performance of any song by any band ever. Anyone who likes music should have a copy of that performance."

Hey Axver,

I have this song on audio and its simply amazing. Would you by any chance have the video of this performance?

Sken

Tragically, I don't believe any video exists ... :(

The band probably have footage of it in their vault, though. They simply HAVE to release that Lovetown gig, just for that completely inspired One Tree Hill. That was the very pinnacle of U2's live talent.

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, March 26, 1992, Cleveland. (Coincidentally my own Zoo TV show -- thanks yimou!!)

At the start of the song, Bono reminds us all that the U.S. elections are coming up. We have to choose the right candidate, he says, "or we're all fucked." The band then plays a beautiful version of a beautiful song. Not an off note, not a missed lyric. At the end of the song, the audience takes over. Three minutes of one united chorus: "But I sti-iillll haven't found what I'm looking for." This singing eventually dissolves into the typical pre-encore chanting and screaming, but for three minutes, it soars.

This is "definitive" live U2. Bono speaking passionately about something that affects us all. A beautiful song performed perfectly. And an audience that has heartfelt involvement from start to finish, and never wants the show to end.

That, for me, is what live U2 is all about.

Who´s gonna ride your wild horses - Sweden 1992-06-11 -

The Greatest u2 stuff:
-Bad-All i want is you-Bullet the blue sky-Running to stand still- Where the streets have no name:drool: from ZOO TV
You can include Satellite of love.

But if you're talking about only one song:
BULLET THE BLUE SKY-Free Ray Bourque-9th June 2001
Bono:"676 000 Americans will go down from the bullet in the streets in next 20 years.":drool

The Fly from Boston
Sunday Bloody Sunday from R&H
Pride from R&H
Bad from R&H
Please from Rotterdam
All I Want is You-->Streets from Slane
One with the orchestra, from 95 I think
Stay from Dublin 93
One Tree Hill, the 12/26/89 performance

I agree with wheatsier about LiveAid by the way, sure it was a huge breakthrough for them, but no way was it their best performance of those songs, imo.

Last edited:
Seen them at various times throughout their long career, but Zoo TV was when they were at the top of their game as far as I'm concerned.

Back
Top Bottom