U2s biggest deal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pate20

The Fly
a place that has to be believed to be seen
I think the best thing U2 ever did (apart from getting the band started at all
wink.gif
) was to stop the electronic experiments (although I love Zooropa) and return to traditional U2-Songs again on ATYCLB. Or what do you think was their biggest deal?

Well I do agree with you on that, but it wasn't their biggest deal. That had to be either Red Rocks, Live Aid or The Joshua Tree. All of those had an impact on them becoming so great but I do think they would not be as big as they are right now if it weren't for ATYCLB and the Elevation tour. U2's career has been a recipe for greatness. It is their destiny.

------------------
U2- The Unforgettable Fire still burns!

I think u2 needed the electronic experiments...AB, Zooropa, and pop are al great cd's...the easiest thing for teh band to do was to come out with " joshua tree 2" and thankfully they didn't do that.

I can recall many people, especially actors and actresses, who damaged their careers by trying to destroy their perceived public image and try something different just for the sake of saying you changed and didn't want to be streotyped a certain way. Think of the cast members of Gilligan's Island and The Brady Bunch. Many members wanted to 'distance' themelves from their image and denounced anything to do with it trying to explore different things. But in the end they found they were wanted and loved best for the image they already had! Many of them like Florence Henderson and Susan Oleson have realized this and have gone ahead and capitalized on it, laughing all the way to the bank. Compare that to Tina Louise, who didn't want to be thought of as Ginger, so now she really isn't thought of at all.

Think of Donny Osmond trying to destroy his image by acting like a bad boy, or MC Hammer going 'gangsta'- these things didn't fly and their careers were damaged. How about Debbie Gibson dressing more mature and changing her musical style as not to be thought of as a teen pop star? That was not what her fans wanted, and it destroyed her recording career. Who cares what the fans want? Have that attitude and you will find yourself back on Broadway instead of Hollywood. I could go on if I sat and thought about it. It's like a writer trying to write about something he doesn't know, they always say stick to what you know.

Everyone should do they do best, and not try to be something different just to prove something. Why? You're good, you rock, and your fans love you. If it ain't broke don't fix it. You might just really 'fix' it in the process and the repairs could be costly!

------------------
U2- The Unforgettable Fire still burns!

Originally posted by Veranda:

Everyone should do they do best, and not try to be something different just to prove something. Why? You're good, you rock, and your fans love you. If it ain't broke don't fix it. You might just really 'fix' it in the process and the repairs could be costly!

I totally agree with you--I've never understood why so many people seem to think that "different"="good."

Achtung Baby is a great album. I don't care for Zooropa and Pop. I do wonder, though, what would have happened if U2 hadn't changed direction. Would they have gone totally stale? Would they have been able to come out with an album like ATYCLB in 2000? I really don't know. I guess there is something to be said for experimentation for the sake of staying fresh. Unfortunately I don't think the experiments themselves were that great.

As for "the biggest deal," that's hard to say, but Live Aid and The Joshua Tree are probably the strongest contenders.

------------------
You've got to cry without weeping
Talk without speaking
Scream without raising your voice

Mmmm, I smell a Popfight brewing! Sadly my computer will freeze if I try to write a long diatribe so let me just say that Pop was a mistake, it was a blight on U2's legacy and ATYCLB is a great album that has brought back fans in large numbers and with it they have reached the rock firmament of immortality and greatness and will now live forever. It saved their careers and is great no matter what the Russian boy says. I pretend Pop didn't happen like a bad sequel to a good movie. Damn there is so much I want to say but I know this fool box of mine will freeze up so I have to hurry!

I vote the biggest deal to be Red Rocks because it got them so much exposure and they took it from there.

------------------
"I've been all over,
and it's been all over me!"

Back
Top Bottom