U2's Best Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hard to say, Lovetown purely for energy and Bono's voice.

I also liked Elevation and Vertigo for tapping in the back catalogue.

Last edited:
I went to Vertigo but if I could pick any era to time travel in it would be the 2001 Boston Elevation show..I vote Elevation because it marked their return to pure U2 with--no pony tricks or flashy sets--just them and their heart-shaped stage:wink: ..that's all they realy need right? I mean come on, Elevation is totally worth a vote just for the heart-shaped stage people!:wink:

To me Elevation also seemed to just be so intensely passionate--right there in your face vulnerbility from everyone...think Superbowl, etc. Of course I think that is owed to the songs, which to me are more stripped, subject wise. Elevation Tour is the best rep of "heart on your sleeve" performing. OKay I'm done, sorry:wink:

Zoo TV of course, but Edge's guitar is just sublime in Lovetown, so that come's second.
But I'd love to have seen the Unforgettable fire shows :-(((((

In terms of the "best" I would say Vertigo. It strikes a great balance between showmanship & honesty, old & new songs, a few surprises and rarities as well.

My personal favourite is ZOO TV (Zooropa) because I love the excess, the glamour, the darkness, and the songs...as well as the FalsetooooooOOOooo

All the tours have been great and each have something different to offer.

As for show and production you can't beat the Popmart.

As for "touring", packing up the bags, going from city to city, producing a rock n roll show every other night. ZooTV. Even though the setlist was static, U2 gave it 110% this tour. Zooropa was born because of it.

I would put Vertigo up there too. U2 brought some of the alt. darkness back from ZooTV & Popmart on this tour. From the Boy set, Zoo Station encore, teary eye performance of RTSS or Miss Sarejevo. Pretty cool stuff.

Elevation started off great then turned into the greatest hits setlist during the 3rd leg. I saw my least favorite U2 show that leg.

I pick ZooTV

POP MUSIK
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

The most impressive U2 Tour ever:shocked:

The weakest tour IMHO must be Elevation :down: :yawn: Unexciting showcase and stage, no concepts, playing it safe performances, lame and short setlists plenty of fillers and the childish "avoid Zooropa and Pop at any cost" attitude, etc, etc

I liked acoustic Please & In God's Country on Elevation Tour. I also liked the post 9/11 New York's. I also thought the Discotheque/Staring at The Sun was pretty cool.

The Joshua Tree and Love Town tours are too close to call for me.

Zoo TV would runner up these two and Vertigo would be closely behind the Zoo era.

Not the least suprised with all the zoo love around here.

I imagine a lot of the love is down to what "era" of U2 people like. Since ZooTV often had the best of TJT, Achtung & Zooropa it is easy to see why so many people like it.

ponkine said:

The weakest tour IMHO must be Elevation :down: :yawn: Unexciting showcase and stage, no concepts, playing it safe performances, lame and short setlists plenty of fillers and the childish "avoid Zooropa and Pop at any cost" attitude, etc, etc

Wrong.
Innovative heart-shaped stage, U2 playing their songs with virtually no flashy distractions from the music, the concept was "back to the music" (unlike mere "let's try to top our previous tour in size and message"), due to U2 playing in arenas great performances, and check your facts once in a while, U2 avoided Zooropa and Pop so much they played a Zooropa song for the first time on US soil (meanwhile your beloved Popmart skipped it) and they played 5 Pop songs on that tour.
U2 finally decided to bring out some other songs from the back catalogue other than the hits.

Last edited:
ponkine said:

Avoiding Zooropa and POP? :lol: On the two official Elevation DVD's alone are:

- Gone
- Stay
- Staring at the Sun
- Wake Up Dead Man

ZooTV and Popmart were the better spectacles, but Elevation and Vertigo had better setlists. If you went to four Popmart shows, for example, you very likely could've been the exact same show four different times. With Vertigo or Elevation, the setlists both looked pretty different at various times in the tour.

^^ I agree with that... But I think Elevation lacked some magic. Vertigo had that... And so did the other tours. The setlists of Elevation were great don't get me wrong. I just think that there was something missing...

Most definitely ZOO!!!! :rockon:

I went to see that tour for my 1st U2 concert 14 yrs ago today! :drool: :happy: :bow: :applaud:

I'm kind of surprised at the lack of Elevation love. Four years ago, people were falling all over themselves saying what an incredible tour it was and how they were the best U2 concerts they'd ever seen.

1. Zoo

2. Elevation
(their most sincere tour, Elevation/Walk On are my favorite book-ends of any tour, and the abridged version of Bono speeches!!!)
3. Popmart
(would challenge for top spot had Bono's voice been more consistent throughout the tour)

PopFly said:
I'm kind of surprised at the lack of Elevation love. Four years ago, people were falling all over themselves saying what an incredible tour it was and how they were the best U2 concerts they'd ever seen.

Yeah I agree.

While ZooTV and Popmart are awesome for their concepts, I still think I prefer the stripped back "tear your heart open" feel of the Elevation Tour. That's what I missed during the Vertigo Tour...at least on the first leg concerts I was at(Chicago 5-9, 5-10), the Vertigo tour seemed very soul-less like U2 were just trying to rock out too much and forgot that they are at their best when they can reach people's hearts.

What i also liked about the POPmart tour is all the place's they went too.

I mean Sarajevo, Israël, Johannesburg etc so much special places.

I don't think they can ever top that tour again, the whole stage, the big screens, the whole technical side at the POPmart tour was just incredible.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom