U2's best song lyrically.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Here's a question for discussion: what song do you feel has U2's best lyrics?

I'm talking in an overall sense of the whole song, not just a couple of lines (for example, your favourite line may come from Sunday Bloody Sunday but you consider that as a whole unit, New Year's Day has better lyrics).

In my opinion, One Tree Hill has NO competition. None at all. If only U2 would write another song as lyrically brilliant as this ...

Aardvark747 said:
UV

Just kidding:wink:
For me, it would be Heartland. The lyrics are so poetic, and flow with the music wonderfully. I love it.

You almost had me there for a second! And true, Heartland has absolutely stunning and beautiful lyrics. I guess One Tree Hill has a little competition. The JT era had some of the most incredible lyrics.

As a whole ... I'd have to go with Running to Stand Still. But it's a hard choice! I think anything from JT, like Axver and Aardvark747 said, is a contender.

bedouin fire said:
funny, i thik that the strongest album lirically is pop.

In a sense, I would be somewhat inclined to agree. Pop definitely contains some of Bono's best themes and ideas and parts of the album are absolute magic.

However, from my perspective, the JT era is absolutely incredible. While Pop addresses issues and is a lot deeper than many give it credit for being, JT also tackles major issues (Bullet and Exit, anyone?) while painting incredible pictures in one's mind. I am in awe every time I listen to it. I also feel a similar thing can be said for some of what was produced during the UF era.

Songs like A Sort Of Homecoming, Running To Stand Still, One Tree Hill, Exit, Mothers Of The Disappeared, and Heartland are incredibly well written and poetic, contain much depth, and paint pictures in one's mind. Oh, I could talk for hours about how much I love this stuff.

Without a doubt, Running To Stand Still. Pure poetry in 4 minutes of musical bliss.

One, Running to stand still, So cruel, The Fly, A sort of homecoming...but there are so many more...

The Fly or Until The End Of The World

And I love Mofo's lyrics.

Acrobat could be a worthy mention.

Newer songs: Mercy!!!

Axver said:
The JT era had some of the most incredible lyrics.

Yeah, you can strip the music and you'll have a nice book of poetry.

For my vote, I really like the words to She's a Mystery To Me.

tough question.

what instantly came to mind:

heartland (pure poetry, gives me shivers everytime)

followed closely by:

the fly
a sort of homecoming
bad
in god's country
love rescue me
until the end of the world
acrobat

ADecentMelody said:

Yeah, you can strip the music and you'll have a nice book of poetry.

That's exactly why I picked RTSS....there is little instrumental accompaniement in that song and it relies heavily on Bono's voice and the emotions he puts into the words. The Sydney ZooTV version of it knocks me out every single time I listen to it.

Zooropa is my favorite, with Mofo, A Sort of Homecoming, Crumbs From Your Table, The Fly, Walk On, and The Wanderer all coming up close behind it.

Back
Top Bottom