U2's best song lyrically.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Headache in a Suitcase said:
hands down... mofo... seriously... read 'em... they're great.

i agree with whoever said that pop is u2's strongest album lyricly speaking... it absolutely is, and no one ever believes me when i say so.

:up: and :up:

Its so hard to do just pick one song. I think Bono is one the best song writers ever. His lyrics create so much open interpratation and imagery. Here are a few of the best:

A Sort Of A Homecoming
Running To Stand Still
With or Without You
Heartland
One
Until the End of the World
So Cruel
Ultra Violet
Love Is Blindness
Stay
Mofo
Staring at the Sun
If You Wear That Velvet Dress
Please
City of Blinding Lights
One Step Closer
Yaweh

So I put so many. Bono's best lyrics on an album are AB and Pop. He took a step back with ATYCLB but really steped it up with his latest album.

Last edited:
This a difficult one, hummmm, I am thinking God Part II. the pure honesty in the lyrics. The way that we are sinned from birth and we try to find a way to fight that natural instinct. For me , I will think strange thoughts and do crazy things. I have to pray for God's will everyday, to ask to be on the right path in my life. The way the world is today with taking care of the rich , well to do, and forgetting about the poor in the world. God is love, pure and simple love. since I have changed my bad ways, my life has improved so much. Thanks to God great song!

Last edited:
Just one?

Hard to say, I think One would win, as it grabs you from start and doesn't let go till the very end.

As for their best album lyrically, it's a tie between Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby.

I gotta say The Fly, Mofo, October, Until the End of the World, Zooropa and Please are the the deep of the deepest of their songs:wink:

zoopop said:
He took a step back with ATYCLB but really steped it up with his latest album.

I felt the same way on ATYCLB. I felt Bono wrote a more direct group of songs on this album as opposed to poetically. There are some exceptions, of course, like Kite - wonderfully written song both lyrically and musically. I love how the second part of the second verse is a slide guitar part. It's like the emotion they're trying to convey cannot adequately be covered by words, but only by The Edge's guitar. Simply beautiful.

There are so many, but if i had to pick one, I would pick......

hmmmmm......

Running To Stand Still

Either that or Wild Honey. And yes, Im serious. I love that song. GREAT lyrics. Very catchy.

ADecentMelody said:
Yeah, you can strip the music and you'll have a nice book of poetry.

For my vote, I really like the words to She's a Mystery To Me.

Agreed on both counts. SAMTM is very overlooked but has some wonderful lyrics. I love how poetic many of U2's JT-era songs were. Absolutely stunning.

Originally posted by Joshua87
Best i love you lyrics: heartland or one tree hill

I really have to disagree with your interpretation there, as Heartland is about a place and One Tree Hill about the death of a friend. One Tree Hill absolutely gets me every time ... especially the 26 December 1989 performance. I'm sure at least one other person here will agree with me when I say that's the best live performance of any song by any band ever.

I think that Achtung Baby is the best lyrical Album. Most songs from this CD have extremely deep lyrics.
One, Acrobat, Wild Horses, to name a few

Red Hill Mining Town
"We're wounded by fear/Injured in doubt/I can lose myself/You I can't live without"

In a Little While
"Man dreams one day to fly/A man takes a rocketship into the sky/He lives on a start that's dying in the night..."

also,
Running To Stand Still
The Fly
Streets
Stay
The Wanderer

dandy said:
tough question.

what instantly came to mind:

heartland (pure poetry, gives me shivers everytime)

followed closely by:

the fly
a sort of homecoming
bad
in god's country
love rescue me
until the end of the world
acrobat

I agree. One Tree Hill--actually all of the Joshua Tree is poetry, A Sort of Homecoming, Bad, One, So Cruel, The Fly, Love is Blindness, Gone, October--that album has great lyrics as well. Your Blue Room is great, gosh so many great songs.

JT in its entirety, I believe, is lyrical brilliance. Interestingly, it isn't my favourite U2 album, but I do believe it's the strongest in terms of lyrics.

One Tree Hill
Red Hill Mining Town
Running to Stand Still
Mothers of the Disappeared

:drool:

anitram said:
JT in its entirety, I believe, is lyrical brilliance. Interestingly, it isn't my favourite U2 album, but I do believe it's the strongest in terms of lyrics.

One Tree Hill
Red Hill Mining Town
Running to Stand Still
Mothers of the Disappeared

:drool:

Agreed. Plus, not from JT, I'll add:

Bad
Heartland
One
Acrobat

I believe Bad is the best song ever written both musically and lyrically combined. I've been a U2 fan since "October" and I have never felt anything like that tune.

From a pure lyric standpoint, I cast votes for One Tree Hill, Sort of Homecoming, Stuck in a Moment, and Miami.

If it wasn’t for the Bob Dylan co-writing thingy, Love Rescue Me would get the prize. It's ABSOLUTELY beautiful and amazing. But since I don't know who wrote what I can't say it's U2's best lyrics.

I have thought about this a million times and I don't know if I ever came to a conclusion. Maybe I come to one now. I don't think a lyric has to tell a story or even be cohesive, it just has to move you in some way and well... be good. So I think in U2's case it’s The Fly. I love great lines and this song is made out of amazing lines. There's not one bad line there. It's full of Bono's truisms and I love that! Everything Bono is saying there is true and fascinating.

The great thing though about it is that at first they just seem to be random thoughts brought together, they don't seem to connect and tell you a story of any kind at first but in the end Bono makes his magic and they all end up connecting. I love the idea of a man calling from hell and telling some truths about the universe, opening up the Pandora box and letting us know of secrets. I like these kinds of larger than life subjects that are both unknown and mysterious but at the same time rich enough in the collective unconscious that allows you to get lost in it. And U2 has a thing for that kind of stuff I think. :D

There are some songs that I think are equally good lyrically speaking and that could challenge The Fly on the "number one" spot. Here they are:

God Part II
Where The Streets Have No Name
Last Night On Earth
Zoo Station
Sunday Bloody Sunday (which contrary to Axver I think are better than New Year's Day)
Like A Song
Hawkmoon 269
Gone
Bullet The Blue Sky
Please
The Wanderer

bw in dc said:
I believe Bad is the best song ever written both musically and lyrically combined. I've been a U2 fan since "October" and I have never felt anything like that tune.

I remember one day at school, I showed someone the lyrics to Bad and their comment was "yeah, I can see why it's called Bad." Ugh, some people have no taste.

Originally posted by TheBrazilianFly
Sunday Bloody Sunday (which contrary to Axver I think are better than New Year's Day)

Oh, I actually agree with you (though I prefer NYD as a song); I was just providing a completely random example.

I have to say for a person to say that Bad is bad , they have no clue of great music. Bad is my favorite U2 song of all time. To me that sounds like U2 , a signature sound.:wink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom