U2's Best 3 Songs from 1990-2000

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miggy D

War Child
Rank them in order of greatness. Explain your choices.

1. Until the End of the World
2. One
3. Stay (Far Away, So Close!)

1. UTEOTW is U2's best song of the past 15 years, bar none. Lyrically, it may be their best work. It strikes the perfect balance between religious metaphor and universal meaning. It also has one of the best lines of any song, ever:

"I reached out for the one I tried to destroy."

I get a lump in my throat almost every time I hear that line. No joke. It's one of those perfect lyrics I think everyone wishes they wrote. And Bono wrote it. Bono is the man. That lyric not only encompasses the entire meaning of the song into a tiny 10-word package, but also connects with everyone of the Christian faith who has ever doubted or tried to deconstruct/'destroy' the God they've been raised to believe in. I can't speak for non-religious or non-Christians, but as a Christian who has been both strong in his faith and wavered to the point of near-atheism, this line hits home so strongly that...well...hell I ranked it as my top lyric of all time, right here!

2. This answer seems obvious, but One stands the test of time simply because it's a fantastic song. The vocals, the lyrics, the instrumentals...they're all perfect. The way Edge ends the song is fantastic, and one of his best endings. The strings-backed live version from 1995 took this great song and made it even better. Bono's lyrical implorement of God:

"You hear us coming, Lord
Hear us call
Hear us knocking
Knocking at your door
You hear us coming, Lord
Hear us call
Hear us scratching
Will you make us crawl?"

...is even better than Bono's add-on to With or Without You, which pales in comparison to this heartfelt lyric. All told - fantastic song. Timeless.

3. For a song that was written specifically for a movie, Stay is bloody terrific. Featuring some of Bono's best lyrics ever, it's a moving story of a girl who's had her life turned upside down by domestic violence. It's a rare U2 song in that it is actually addressing a girl and not the religiously ambiguous "you" that Bono so often uses. As I said - lyrically, it's the tops. That makes it rank as number 3. I wish they had done the song without the severe echo/reverb on the voice, however. Regardless - classic U2 song.

As you can probably tell - lyrics are a big part of what makes a song great to me. These 3 songs were all great musically, but what put them above other U2 songs, at least for me, were there phenomenal lyrics. IMO, Bono wrote his best lyrics between 1991 and 1993. His lyrics outside of this period have been good, and sometimes great, but he was at his most inspired/genius during this time. They're introspective and epic at the same time, and are the most poetic lyrics he's written. And that's all I've got to say. I turn it over to you.

And please - don't respond to my choices - choose your own songs and simply explain them. I don't want this thread turning into a 'You're wrong, I'm right' battle.

Cheers,

-Mike

Last edited:
Gotta go with...

1) Kite - I was dealing with some bad health issues at the time that All that You Can't Leave Behind came out and this song meant so much to me, lyrically. It helped me get through a lot. "I'm not afraid to die, I'm not afraid to live" I really understand that statement!

2) One- I agree with above. Some of the best lyrics ever written by Bono

3) Love is Blindness- This song is so moody and emotional to me. It just struck a cord :)

Last edited:
I haven't listened to studio material in so long that this is totally ranked on live performances.

1. Please - If you listen to 23 September 1997, Sarajevo, you will know EXACTLY what I mean. Oh wow, that is some incredibly powerful stuff.
2. Until The End Of The World - What Miggy D said!
3. Gone - I feel like I really connect this song. It's what really dragged me into this fanaticism deal and it's just an amazing song. Some deep lyrics, some awesome music, and ... I can't really describe it, it's just one of those fantastic songs I appreciate in a way words cannot describe.

The new mix of Gone was one of my favorite surprises from the Best Of album. Love that new mix. Love, love, love.

"Goodbye. You can keep this suit of lights. I'll be up with the sun. I'm not coming down!"

Brilliant.

Wait, are you talking about the Best Of album or are you just asking about the best songs made within those years?:huh:

1. Until The End of The World: Mainly for the reasons Miggy D said. I had known the lyrics for years but it wasn't until I saw this song performed in person where the significance of it slapped me in the face. I had been an atheist going into that concert and by the end of this song I believed! I had struggles so long to accept man-imposed concepts of God...I wanted the real deal. In some way U2 showed me that it wasn't a black and white issue.

2. One (I'm sorry Miggy D you have good taste!) The lyrics, music, the vibe....everything just comes together. The improv of "Hear us coming Lord" moves me to tears everytime.

3. Stay Ok this one has got a big personal significance to me. I was involved in an abusive relationship....you can imagine it got me through some rough times then and it reminds me now to never ever let myself be in a situation like that. The lyric "Because when he hits you, you feel alive."---I have no idea how Bono, a man, could channel that....it was so true for me at the time, I felt like to be in love, to be really truly in love it had to have the "passionate" aspect. Now that lyric serves as a testament to my personal growth and strength. The Boston DVD version is hands down the best one....it's simple yet haunting.

Last edited:
1.The Fly
Because it's one of the coolest damn things ever, the solo kicks arse, at the end of it with the starry effects as i call em makes me go mad, laughing and all, a huge smile comes across my face.

2.UTTEOTW
For slightly different reasons, it's coolness cannot be denied, although all said above proves Bono's genius, it class.

3.Discotheque
Because it's the stuff, dedededede dern nern ner discotheque nuff said

1. Until the End of the World.

The story of Judas' betrayal is one of my favorites and I don't mean that just from a religious standpoint either. It is a brilliant story whether you "believe" or not.
The riff and solos The Edge came up with here are timeless. Like Purple Haze to Hendrix or Whole Lotta Love to Jimmy Page, Until the End of the World is an achievement that 99.5% of the world's guitar players can only dream of reaching.

This is all enough reason from me to make this #1 for this period.

2. Gone

For all of the mixed reaction towards Pop and the numerous threads we attempt to understand this album, it is often forgotten, or simply not remarked, that no matter what you think of Pop, it contains a real gem in Gone.
At one point, I cannot help but feel Roy Orbison's presence in Bono's vocals when he sings "And I'm already gone..." And the thing is, Bono makes it sound so easy and smooth when he sings that part.
Like Until the End of the World, Gone has grown into a monster live. The band gel so well when they play this.
It doesn't matter which version of this song you like the best. They are all brilliant. I could listen to an entire album of various takes live and remixed.

3. Stay

I have always loved this song from the first moment I heard it. It has a very very addictive sway to it. It is almost hard to describe, but it is like how your body has these "auto-safe" mechanisms that kick in when you are in danger. It just happens. The beat, the vocals, the mood, it all brings about this swagger that is totally Sinatra-like. I can understand that Sinatra was a working title for this track. This track also happens to be my favorite music video too. The band as angels. Wim is an amazing man. He should work with them soon again.

One and Kite deserve honorable mentions. (Well, One is obviously THE masterpiece of this period. I think everyone knows that. :wink: )

Last edited:
i agree, one is a given, no need to explain.

here are my three (i think, it's hard to pick only three):

the fly -- when achtung/the fly first came out, i HATED it. i was in shock and agony wondering what had happened to my boys. fortunately, though, i had a couple of hardcore u2 buds around who made me keep listening, lyrics in hand. it was an amazing day when i clued in--achtung is all about the heavy lyrics. it started with the fly, and the lyrics to that song are what got me into achtung. genious.

lemon -- when zooropa came out, i had no clue what to expect. i wasn't as confused as i was with achtung, but i did cry the first time i heard lemon. i thought it was all over for the boys with that song. but, much like the fly, i kept listening, and now it's one of my absolute favourites. 'midnight is where the day begins...' classic.

gone -- especially the new mix on the best of cd. loved it the first time i heard it, and it just keeps getting better. very powerful and emotional.

honourable mentions to ultraviolet, until the end of the world, and kite.

Miggy, i amazingly totally agree wtih your choices, only i MIGHT switch the places of One and Stay, and that's still a maybe:wink:

Stay, Please, Wake Up Dead Man.

Ahhh this was tough! I didn't give it too much thought as I know I'd drive myself crazy if I did! The above for now anyway (although it'll probably change by the time I've finished writing this!)

. UTEOTW is U2's best song of the past 15 years, bar none. Lyrically, it may be their best work. It strikes the perfect balance between religious metaphor and universal meaning. It also has one of the best lines of any song, ever:

Talk about hitting the nail on the head man,

"I reached out for the one i tried to destroy" - these 10 words describe human behaviour and evolution in all of our known history, this line describes EVERYTHING at its essence of our existence, its what we do over and over and over again.

pure genius.

Gone- the diamond from POP, this song is amazing. I just love the lyrics, I think so many people can relate to elements of the lyrics and I think it is one of the few times that Bono has really hit the nail on the head with writing an extremely emotive lyric to a song that is not entirely a whimsical ballad. Why this song was never released as a single is beyond me.....

HMTMKMKM- killer riff and I have great memories of this song, I worked as an usher at a cinema when Batman Forever came out- the amount of times that I got to hear this song blarring from the cinema sound system as I would clean the cinema at the end of each session- it was awesome- me, all alone in a cinema listening to HMTMKMKM playing over a killer sound system!!!!

Miss Sarajevo- two words, poignant and beautiful:wink:

This is pretty hard, almost like asking what's my favorite U2 song period. I'll have to do the uncool thing and pass on this one. Picking favorite songs is so hard cause moods dictate alot. I mean at times One could be my favorite or Beautiful Day while driving on a Sunday afternoon. Stay has always been my favorite song to listen to while walking at night with my walkman on. Gone is so freaking amazing especially as a live performance, Love is Blindness absolutley reaks of moodiness that's almost unparralelled. Kite is so inspirational, Lemon is truely underated and possible some of the coolest lyrics ever. Starring at the Sun turned me on to U2, WGRYWH was the fiorst song I even liked by U2, Acrobat has one of the best beats ever. Sorry guys but picking 3 is just to hard. I am so uncool:sigh:

Without thinking too much and just going off the top of my head, I will say One, Gone, and Until the End of the World. It is so hard to choose just 3.

1. Stay

2. One

3. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses?

1. Stay- maybe I'm slightly biased because Berlin is in this video and I love Berlin to death. but no, that's not it. I loved the song before I saw the video and I loved it even more after it. I can't express in words how much I love this song.

2. One- Nuff said.

3.WGRYWH- There may be songs I enjoy more (Elevation, Beautiful Day, etc) but the lyrics of this song blow me away. It's incredible.

fly_little_wing said:
1. Stay- maybe I'm slightly biased because Berlin is in this video and I love Berlin to death. but no, that's not it. I loved the song before I saw the video and I loved it even more after it. I can't express in words how much I love this song.

I love this video also. I really dig the mood of it. I kinda wish they had more video's with Bono dressed as MacPhisto. Such a cool character.

Back
Top Bottom