U2's Beautiful Day Earns VERY Low Ratings....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigMacPhisto

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I guess we should have expected it to not do well. I mean, anyone who isn't a U2 fan isn't going to want to watch the program.

http://tv.zap2it.com/news/dailynielsenrankings.html?29165

The ratings it earned would be considered bad for the WB and UPN, considering that this aired on the second (or possibly first?)most watched network in the country, we may not be seeing another U2 special again.

Anyway, I thought the program was cool, but they did cut out "Angel of Harlem" here in America, probably due to the fact that we have more commercials since our stations aren't owned by the government like BBC is in the UK.

A few quick points though about the ratings.

1. The special aired at 10 PM in most places which is definitely late.

2. It actually did better than some of the other programs on the networks, which is surprising because it aired later as mentioned earlier.

3. Many people are out and about on Friday nights. Plus, this was a holiday weekend Friday, which means even less people were at home to turn on the tube.

In the end, hardly anyone still tuned in to watch this special, BUT if it had aired on a good night and not during a holiday period, it still would have been lucky to get half as many viewers as it did, which would be still VERY low for CBS.

BigMacPhisto said:

The ratings it earned would be considered bad for the WB and UPN, considering that this aired on the second (or possibly first?)most watched network in the country, we may not be seeing another U2 special again.

That's what they said after ABC's U2: A Year In Pop...but then we had this special. :D

I agree with all the previous excuses and add the following:

ANY music program except awards shows will always have limited appeal since everyone in the population has such varied tastes. It would have been the same with any band.

Nielsons don't mean crap to me. Most of the shows I like are cancelled and a lot of shit stays on for years because of Neilsons. Who ARE these people? My parents had one survey once in the 1960's and again in the 1980's, but I know of no one else who has ever had one. There are millions of U2 fans in the world, but very few were chosen as Neilson families this particular week. Maybe another date would've been better. Still, considering the numbers are likely mostly just casual or non fans, it did get seen.

Last edited:
I Loved It And That's What Matters!

It's too bad that "U2's Beautiful Day" didn't get higher ratings, but I loved this show and really appreciate CBS for airing it. In fact, I'm thinking of sending the network an e-mail saying how much I enjoyed it and how I will be buying its sponsors products!

"Out of Control" has been going through my head for almost the entire day now!

Great show. Great band.

I think the ratings would have been higher if the show was on a different night. Who is watching TV on a Friday night at 10p ? I was out and I forgot to set my vcr. Doh.

MrPryck2U said:
I think the ratings would have been higher if the show was on a different night. Who is watching TV on a Friday night at 10p ? I was out and I forgot to set my vcr. Doh.

I'm plannin' on copyin' it for a gal at a different forum. Surely I could make you a copy as well...it might not be for a week or so though!

Two things:

1) CBS did not promote this at all. I did not see any ads for the special except a few that aired one day before.

2) American TV execs often refer to Friday nights as the graveyard for televison time slots.

On this board there were posts predicting low ratings because of these reasons.

ultraviolet353 said:

1) CBS did not promote this at all. I did not see any ads for the special except a few that aired one day before.

I agree with that!

If it wasn't for Interference, I wouldn't have known about this special until the day before!

i only knew about it cuz i pretty much only watch cbs stuff when i watch one of the top four channels. i watch the young and the restless every day, and i think i saw at least a commercial for it once on there.

i watch the whole monday slot of the sitcoms (king of queens, yes dear, and everybody loves raymond, i will not watch still standing ever ever!) and they may have advertised it there.

on sundays i also watch becker. i may watch other cbs sitcoms, i can't remember what stuff like judging amy is on, but i know my most favourite sitcom, will and grace, is on nbc. :yes:

but outside of cbs, i don't think i saw one commercial for it, except for maybe once on vh1. :huh:

Bonochick said:

I'm plannin' on copyin' it for a gal at a different forum. Surely I could make you a copy as well...it might not be for a week or so though!

I did a similar thing, I thought my vcr was set and come home and find nothing has been recorded....:mad: , oh well, if you are making copies, i would love to have one, let me know where to send the check.......:wave:

This is very sad news indeed. I heard that CBS was using this as a test because they were planning a sitcom starring the members of U2. Apparently the sitcom was going to be about a wisecracking alien that crash lands in U2's studio and he ends up living with them. Each episode would be abuot the alien causing problems in the studio and deleting songs they work on. Oh, and the alien would always try to eat Edge's beanies.

david said:
This is very sad news indeed. I heard that CBS was using this as a test because they were planning a sitcom starring the members of U2. Apparently the sitcom was going to be about a wisecracking alien that crash lands in U2's studio and he ends up living with them. Each episode would be abuot the alien causing problems in the studio and deleting songs they work on. Oh, and the alien would always try to eat Edge's beanies.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :bow:

I doubt they were counting on big ratings. The Friday after Thanksgiving is most likely one of the slowest TV watching nights. Football is the biggest draw for TV viewing around Thanksgiving. Otherwise, most people are doing other things over the Holiday weekend. That's probably why they didn't even bother to do many promos for it. It was a cheap program they could use to fill up a time slot. :slant:

Of coures, we hard core fans were loving it! :)

Re: Low Ratings

Oh, darn. It was obviously edited for non-U2 or casual U2 fans' tastes as they only showed the band's classic hits, except for OOC, which was a real treat!

Diane L said:

"Out of Control" has been going through my head for almost the entire day now!

:yes: Love Bono's intro of the band. :cute:

I didn't get to watch my tape til Saturday night, but it was totally worth the wait! I have to agree OOC was unbelievable.... but just overall I was amazed at Bono's spot-on vocals. They really are one of the few bands that can sound better live than their perfectly mixed CDs. Iluvitliuvitiluvit!!!!!!!!!!

Elvis Presley said:

I did a similar thing, I thought my vcr was set and come home and find nothing has been recorded....:mad: , oh well, if you are making copies, i would love to have one, let me know where to send the check.......:wave:

Me too, if possible...I won't send check though, just some cash :hyper:

Back
Top Bottom