U2's b-sides and rarities - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2006, 02:00 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 09:00 PM
U2's b-sides and rarities

U2's albums (for the most part) are brilliant. But some of their most inspired and haunting works have come from the songs that don't make it to the album. Examples: "Walk To The Water" (what a timeless work of art, should be in a museum), "Spanish Eyes" (U2's most uninhibited outpouring of lust), "I'm Not Your Baby"(best U2 hiphop attempt, and one of their freakiest soundscapes) , "Luminous Times"(in the top ten U2 plea of desperation category), "Solame" (The Zooromancer remix is like a holy religious dance, sort of Enigma-like) , "Love Comes Tumbling" (it's good but i'm too tired for a description) , "Boomerang" (great for driving in the snow)... and some of their finest excersizes in ROCK: "Holy Joe" and "Big Girls Are Best"...not to mention their covers are out-of-sight... "Dancing Barefoot" and "Night And Day" are two of my favorite U2 recordings ever. Good shit.

Old 02-14-2006, 03:02 AM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 01:00 PM
I thought I read "Spanish Eyes" was at one point going to be on the Joshua Tree album, but it didn't make the final cut.

Old 02-14-2006, 03:57 AM   #3
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:00 AM
Can only agree with you on that ozeeko. and I think a lot of people feel the same.

Walk to the Water is one of my favourites along with Spanish Eyes and the Salome remix not to mention the outtakes such as Levitate, Smile etc etc, so much so that lately I find I am playing these b-sides and rarities etc more often than the albums.

Interestingly I'm pretty sure that if these were released officially on an album they probably wouldn't be very successful in today's market. Not sure why but I guess it goes to show that the guys know their stuff when it comes to deciding what to release and what to leave for us to discover
Old 02-14-2006, 08:11 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:00 PM
Yup, dozens of the b-sides rule.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:14 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Enough of the word HAUNTING! Do people honestly have U2 on while they're in bed and hide under the covers when certain songs start playing because it's "Haunting?!?!" I'll NEVER understand it.
On a lighter note. The Three Sunrises, Love Comes Tumbling and Spanish Eyes are amongst U2's finest song. EVER.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:24 AM   #6
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:00 PM
Quote:
Haunting:

3. To come to mind continually; obsess: a riddle that haunted me all morning.
4. To be continually present in; pervade: the melancholy that haunts the composer's music.
Yeah I can see using that to describe some of U2's work, especially some of the b-sides listed.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:16 AM   #7
The Fly

Local Time: 10:00 PM
There's some brilliant non-album tracks. Holy Joe's a good example, but from that period there's also the two excellent versions of I'm Not Your Baby, North and South of the River, and you've also got Alex Descends..., and Luminous Times too. Yet, overall there's more remixes and live tracks than b-sides, particularly since the mid-90s.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:09 PM   #8
War Child

There are about 45 b-sides good enough to keep, and only five remixes.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:46 PM   #9
Refugee

Local Time: 09:00 PM
North and South of the river
Wild Irish Rose
60 seconds in kingdom come
Alex descends into hell for a bottle of milk
Hallelujah here she comes
The three sunrises
Bass Trap
Always
Lady with the spinning head
Heartbreak hotel

Old 02-14-2006, 11:34 PM   #10
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

a lot of their b-sides are utterly brilliant. some of them are crap though. they never seem to just be mediocre
Old 02-14-2006, 11:52 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Lady With the Spinning Head!!!!!!!!

Salome!
Luminous Times!
Old 02-15-2006, 12:43 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:00 PM
I've enjoyed almost all b-sides. I view them as extra treats - even if Bono's voice isn't the best on a given song or if the production isn't as tight. Sometimes the b-sides add some flavor and understanding to the album. Sometimes they just rock.

I like many remixes too - gives a great chance to hear a song in a totally different way. The afore-mentioned "Salome" remix is one such example. The original is rocking, but the remix is very trance like and far better, IMO. Heck, in some cases, I never liked a song until I heard the remix!

But overall, I do feel U2 should release a few more original b-sides and less remixes and live songs.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:53 AM   #13
Vocal parasite

Many of the b-sides are better than album tracks.

U2 really make some poor decisions sometimes. They make amazing music but some of the best gems vanish into a void and are only heard by obsessive fans.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-15-2006, 01:00 AM   #14
Refugee

I got a song called dreaming with tear in my eyes ... i'd never heard of it before but its pretty good ... and what do we consider electrical strom??? cause if its a b-side its one of their best
Old 02-15-2006, 01:20 AM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DignityPassesBy
I got a song called dreaming with tear in my eyes ... i'd never heard of it before but its pretty good ... and what do we consider electrical strom??? cause if its a b-side its one of their best
Electrical Storm is not a b-side.

It's an A-side to a stand-alone single. 'A Celebration' and 'Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me' fall into the same category. Although, technically speaking, it could be considered as a single off of the Best Of 1990-2000.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:20 AM   #16
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by DignityPassesBy
Dreaming With Tears In My Eyes is from a Jimmie Rodgers tribute album ... 1997, I believe.

Electrical Storm is considered to be a non-album a-side. Other songs that fall in the same category are Another Day, 11 O'clock Tick Tock, and A Celebration.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-15-2006, 01:22 AM   #17
New Yorker

DEEP IN THE HEART !
Old 02-15-2006, 06:10 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Except for the remixes (although some of those are good too), I think most of U2's B-sides are awesome. I really wish they hadn't started the trend of just remixing a song and slapping that onto the B-side of a single.

No contest, the Joshua Tree B-sides are all incredible songs. Spanish Eyes is gorgeous. Walk to the Water is very evocative and beautiful. Deep in the Heart is moody and powerful. I love them all, but those three are my favorites.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:31 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:00 AM
Walk to the Water =
Xanax and Wine/Fast Cars = Brilliant!
Old 02-15-2006, 09:17 AM   #20
Babyface

What about Slow Dancing, with Willie Nelson on lead vocals. What a song!

Two Shots of Happy, One Shot of Sad is a great tune too.