U2girl?? You're from Slovenia???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Sweetest_Thing

MacPhisto's serving wench
Geez! So am I! (Well, in all actuality, I wan't born there. My dad was though (my mom's Italian). In fact, I still have a ton of family that live there)...it's great to finally meet(?) someone from there (and a U2 fan at that!).

I don't know many other Slovenians...most conversations I have with people go something like this:

THEM: "So, what's your background?"
ME: "Half Italian, half Slovenian."
THEM: "Slo-what?"
ME: *sigh* "Slo-ven-ian."
THEM: "Ah! Slovakia!"
ME: "No no no...SLO-VEN-IA"
THEM: "That's not a country. You MUST mean Slovakia."
ME: "Okay. Trust me. It's a country. I've been there. I should know."

yes i am from Slovenia!

get out of here! your Dad is Slovenian?
smile.gif

so do you know any Slovenian words? do you come to visit your family back here?

LOL @ the conversation. when i tell people (in emails) where i'm from, they'll usually say: "is that ex-Soviet Union?" or "i have no idea where that is".

Ivan: yes he does!
do you Russians have the letter z in your alphabet? we do, so over here it's Zlatko Zahovic.
(that c is not a c, but a different letter, with a little mark above it-pronounce it like the "ch" in the word "child".)
i read his favourite band is U2.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 10-16-2001).]

Originally posted by U2girl:

so do you know any Slovenian words? do you come to visit your family back here?

LOL @ the conversation. when i tell people (in emails) where i'm from, they'll usually say: "is that ex-Soviet Union?" or "i have no idea where that is".

*lol* I guess Slovenia doesn't get a lot of publicity...

I do know some Slovenia, although very little. I'd love to learn more, but my dad refuses to teach me. I picked up a bit when I visited my family...oh, about 5 years ago. It's such a beautiful country (espcially Koper, Piran, and the Trenta valley). I'd love to go back!
biggrin.gif

------------------
*It's not why you're running
It's where you're going
It's not what you're dreaming
But what you're gonna do
It's not where you're born
It's where you belong
It's not how weak
But what will make you strong*

Originally posted by bullet the blue sky:

Hey are you a football fan then?

yes.
especially since our team has made it to the last Euro and is doing very good on the qualifications for World championships...

and yes, Zahovic doesn't play for Valencia anymore. he switched his club (i don't know the name of his new club though!).
isn't he at Real Madrid now?

Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing:

*lol* I guess Slovenia doesn't get a lot of publicity...

I'm amazed that people don't know where Slovenia is. I can forgive them if they aren't 100% sure of the exact location (I have to admit, even I had to confirm my thoughts on a map), but they should at least know that it was part of the former Yugoslovia and they should at least know where the former Yugoslavia was. After all the news of the wars in Croatia over the years, it seems that people should know at least *something* about Yugoslavia....

I wonder - in a year, will people remember where Afghanistan is?

SLOVENIA...yes!
greetings from Catalunya!
...Zahovic?..he played in Valencia last year, but now he is not in Real Madrid ( good luck for him not to be there), I think he is in some Greece team...

Well I'm not from Slovenia but I know where Zahovic is playing now - it's in portugal and the club is Benfica. But he is injured and he should star playing in a few weeks.
U2girl good luck in qualifing for WC against Romania. Luckily we allready qualified.

DrWho - it's not strange - whenever I go to England, Germany, Austria or Italy a lot of people doesn't know for Croatia or Slovenia. Especialy people across the atlantic. Austrians and Italians are lot better but they have border with Slovenia so...

Originally posted by Marko:
Well I'm not from Slovenia but I know where Zahovic is playing now - it's in portugal and the club is Benfica. But he is injured and he should star playing in a few weeks.
U2girl good luck in qualifing for WC against Romania. Luckily we allready qualified.

ahh. thanks for correcting me. so it's Benfica he's playing now?
he hurt his leg in the match against Yugoslavia, but i think he will be ready for Romania.

Originally posted by doctorwho:
I'm amazed that people don't know where Slovenia is. I can forgive them if they aren't 100% sure of the exact location (I have to admit, even I had to confirm my thoughts on a map), but they should at least know that it was part of the former Yugoslovia and they should at least know where the former Yugoslavia was. After all the news of the wars in Croatia over the years, it seems that people should know at least *something* about Yugoslavia....

I wonder - in a year, will people remember where Afghanistan is?

I think because Slovenia was only involved in the war for two weeks. The Croatia separted and got the brunt of the fighting. MOst people haven't heard of it until I tell them the story, or mention that it's right near Italy (and I live in a town of all Italians! THEY don't even know!)

Martica--welcome!

I'm not surprised some yanks never heard of Slovenia or where it is! A while ago I saw some war pics on a site can't remember which one, and the guy who put the pics up had a caption saying "those crazy people in east europe" but the pics were of Indonesia! A little bit far from east europe don't you think? lol

Back
Top Bottom