U23D to be released on Blu-Ray

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's no cat-miming in the movie, CT. People were just comparing the bird thing to his cat-crawling on the tour during An Cat Dubh.

I'm not springing for a Blu-Ray player just for this DVD. But I'll live. :wink:

it bloody better come out on dvd, the nearest imax to me is something like manchester which is a good 4ish hour drive from here, no way was i gonna drive 4 hours for a movie! specially at todays petrol prices sheesh (£1.18 per litre for refererence!)

Can we file this under "Rumor"? unless someone has some type of proof..

It's a rumor, but I think it will happen. The Hannah Montana 3d film which came out around the same time is slated to be the first Blu-Ray 3D dvd release in August, according to imdb. I'm sure others will follow.

I have never seen soo many people bitching and moaning over a release, i'm happy to see this might hit the blu-ray market from what i heard... heck if it does get released, might be extras because blu-ray is known for bonus material!

Thanks. I had no idea. I just figured Blue ray discs were some kind of higher quality disc. I never paid attention to the whole dvd vs blue ray thing. Didn't realize you need a whole different player to play them. STUPID!

Don't just hate a format because you have to buy a new player, :eyebrow: blu-ray is the future in movie technology. You are missing out on a awesome technology. Its like betamax vs vhs and vhs vs dvd was... I own like 20 blu-ray discs already and its a great format with superb quality! The cheapest blu-ray player is the PS3 and its such a good investment, players will drop in prices in future. My 2 cents.

blue-ray = AMAZING. thank god they're releasing it on blue-ray instead of DVD. along with GTA IV, i now have enough reason to buy a ps3.

ahh, but it's all a degree of embarrassment, I've shown Zoo TV to people who were really embarrassed by the camera humping and even Macphisto...

Besides, it's very convenient to blame his antics during Zoo TV because he was playing a character, be it Macphisto or The Fly or The Mirror ball Man when really it was just him doing what he wanted to do...

I find ZOO TV for the most part far more cringeworthy than Vertigo. I laugh at it, I appreciate it, I get it. But it's still some crazy assed antics, if you ask me :lol:

Having said that, I can't believe I read thru this entire thread and found not much discussion about whether or not U2 3D on a home format is a good idea...after having seen it on a IMAX and then on a small screen, I can't possibly imagine the movie on a home viewable format, I think it would be ridiculously underwhelming. Most 3D movies watched at home are :shrug:

I think it would be ridiculously underwhelming. Most 3D movies watched at home are :shrug:

The new technology might look a lot better. Samsung just came out with the latest 3D technology within the past few months and offers it on some plasma and dlps, and so far no 3d blu-ray dvds have been released.

oh come on it wouldnt be that bad its gold compared to chicago which was the most boring concert ive ever seen the crowd is dead compared to argentina

The performance of Miss Sarajevo was great.

yeah, it really was, as were many others...this all sounds very cool

What you're saying is pretty much true only on the Vertigo tour, at least for me. None of the past tours including Elevation have made me cringe in embarrassment at Bono. Yes, that includes humping the camera on Zoo TV! On Vertigo, he seems to have become a cartoon character.

yeah, but Zoot, even though during ZooTV bono was more into being someone else other than himself, ZooTV still seems to be the most cringeworthy for most people in my past experiences...whenever I show people the Sydney DVD they can't even watch the opening with Zoo Station without laughing then getting so fed up with Bono in an embarrassed kind of way that they have to walk away...I'm aware of Bono's cringeworthy gestures or whatever but I'd never let it interfer with the actual song or experience, whether it's a live show or DVD. I don't know how anyone could...it's usually very humorous to be honest :lol:

The sound quality alone should be worth the purchase. Could easily be the best mixed live concert film ever :)

Why are people so hard on Bono's gestures during his "performance" ? It is a rock n roll show. I find his gestures/actions to be part of the show and not that over the top. What do you want, Bon acting like Noel Gallagher?

Ya know Zoots, I actually kind of agreed with you when I first read your post a while ago, though I'm usually the greatest defender of the B-man in such situations. But I've been watching a bunch of live permformances on youtube, DVDs, etc from different eras lately and I've come to the conclusion that Bono has indeed been an awkward goofball FOREVER.

It's not very apparent when one watches so much recent stuff, and most of what survives from the past are the masterpieces, but when you just watch regular shows from all different times, yeah he's pretty much always been like this. On the whole it really just makes me love him more. He's not trying to be cool and standoff-ish like some frontmen. He is himself, he is human, and we can take him as he is or fegg off. :happy:

I'm all for a DVD release especially for those who missed it on the big screen, but personally I'd be a happy camper with only the soundtrack as well. The quality and mixing was just absolutely superb (and throw in a few extra songs please, like COBL, UTEOTW, Zoo Station, and MW).

James

I'm all for a DVD release especially for those who missed it on the big screen, but personally I'd be a happy camper with only the soundtrack as well. The quality and mixing was just absolutely superb (and throw in a few extra songs please, like COBL, UTEOTW, Zoo Station, and MW).

James

me too, this was easily the best sounding live U2 product i've ever heard. and not just because it was in the cinema, the mixing was spot on.

Imitating a bird is the key scene in the entire movie.

They said U2-3D would be a cinema experience only, no DVD.

I can't believe people are still arguing about Bono's stage moves.
Rockstar posing? Guess what, he is a rockstar. It's been worse on other tours.
Imitating a bird? Come on, that lasted for three seconds. I've seen him doing worse things on past tours. He's always had a sense for ackward things, that's just who he is.

-Will it have extra tracks, including OOTS which is listed in the credits?
-Will the BLURAY have a 2D version of the film as a bonus feature?
-Audio options on the disc?

As long as I can rip the audio of The Fly off of it, I'm happy. Don't really care about the rest - the setlist was way too greatest-hits-ish. The only two non-Bomb, non-greatest-hits songs were Miss Sarajevo and The Fly.

Although I'd love to see some bonus tracks... COBL and UTEOTW come to mind.

I understand that this film was made for casual or non-fans, and that they couldn't subject people to 3-D for the length of a full concert.

But considering most people buying the DVD will be more into the band, you think they would sweeten the pot. Not to mention that a 70 minute DVD might seem a bit on the skimpy side.

Of course it would depend on how many filmed songs were actually processed with the technology, and animated visuals, but my guess is that they originally had a longer running time and decided to trim the "fat" at some point in the editing process.

I can see that happening , it could be released as a Directors Cut .

Back
Top Bottom