U23D - Not in IMAX

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Val said:
I checked out their list of theatres and my Imax theatre came up, so maybe if a theatre has an Imax theatre in it, it may soon have the ability to show the digital 3D. Did that make sense?

yeah same here

weird that there doesnt seem to be an official release date yet with it coming so soon...

:corn:

?
I try to clear some things:

1. the Producers said at the Cannes Festival that the "U2 3D" film will come out in spring 2008. The information on the RealD side is very old - like the trailer, cutted before Cannes.
2. it seems that the lady from the IMAX Corporation does not know her buisness. Many films like "Superman 3D", Harry Potter 3D and Matrix III (2D)weren't shot in the IMAX format - but shown there. IMAX has developed a tool to convert usual film material like 35 mm film to the IMAX format. (by the way: they did that also with the new Rolling Stones movie - shot by Scorsese - which IMAX will shown, premiere 21. September. But this film is gonna be in 2D not in 3D like the U2 movie).
3. the U2 film was shot with the exact same cameras James Cameron shot his two 3D-IMAX movies.
3. some newspapers reported after the festival in Cannes that "U2 3D" will be shown in digital 3D Theater (like RealD) and also in IMAX theaters.

Last edited:
perrypickwick said:

3. the U2 film was shot with the exact same cameras James Cameron shot his two 3D-IMAX movies.
3. some newspapers reports after the festival in Cannes that "U2 3D" will be shown in digital 3D Theater (like RealD) and also in IMAX theaters.

Real D is digital versus IMAX's film, so I don't see how the same cameras were used. Real D uses a single projecter (versus two), and the glasses are propietary.

ntalwar said:

Real D is digital versus IMAX's film, so I don't see how the same cameras were used. Real D uses a single projecter (versus two), and the glasses are propietary.

again: the U2 film was shot with the same cameras James Cameron used for his two 3D-IMAX movies: "Ghosts of the Abyss" and "Aliens of the Deep". Both shot with digital 3D-HD cams - and U2 used thems for their movie - 9 cams - (we all had this informations - month, no - now a year ago...). James Cameron himself confirmed that in interviews.

edit: from imdb.com -

Ghost of the Abyss

"Camera
Custom built 3-D Camera

Film negative format (mm/video inches)
Video (HDTV)

Cinematographic process
IMAX (70 mm prints)
Reality Camera System 3-D (dual-strip 3-D)

Printed film format
35 mm (anaglyphic 3-D version)
70 mm (horizontal) (dual-strip 3-D)
D-Cinema (anaglyphic 3-D version)"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0297144/technical

Last edited:
perrypickwick said:

again: the U2 film was shot with the same cameras James Cameron used for his two 3D-IMAX movies: "Ghosts of the Abyss" and "Aliens of the Deep". Both shot with digital 3D-HD cams - and U2 used thems for their movie - 9 cams - (we all had this informations - month, no - now a year ago...). James Cameron himself confirmed that in interviews.

I'd have to see the exact quote where James Cameron says the same cameras are used. 3ality makes the digital cameras used by U2. The IMAX website does not mention U2 3D as an upcoming film.
One quote from Real D I found was:

REAL D is accelerating its efforts to ensure that theaters world-wide will be equipped later this year to present U2 3D to consumers with all the magic that three-dimensional imaging conveys.

“We expect to have more than 1000 REAL D systems installed by that time,” said Joseph Peixoto, President, Worldwide Cinema, REAL D. “This is the first live action presentation to be released in REAL D and truly moves the medium forward. It provides a glimpse into the future of cinematic entertainment.”

So the theaters will still have to buy Real D's projection platform.

Last edited:
perrypickwick said:

1. the Producers said at the Cannes Festival that the "U2 3D" film will come out in spring 2008. The information on the RealD side is very old - like the trailer, cutted before Cannes.

Hmmmm...interesting...

Wiki says..."The film will be released in the third quarter of 2007."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U2_3D

GSCA says..."Release Date: Early 2008"

http://www.giantscreencinema.com/Up...lmsinProductionSession/tabid/188/Default.aspx

Big Movie Zone says..."Release date: Fall 2007"

http://cyberworld.bigmoviezone.com/filmsearch/movies/?uniq=528

And straight from the horse's mouth over on U2.com...

'All About The Music'

'U23D' could be showing in a thousand cinemas later this year. That's according to the production team behind the 3D film who held a press conference in Cannes this afternoon."

So it looks like to me that most of the internet is saying Fall 2007.

If it's not coming out until 2008, then I'll :madwife:

Thanks so much for the info Axver! There's one 10 minutes from my house! :D Can't believe I didn't realise it before! Pity about Melbourne Central though...

Can't wait until this comes out! :)

Last edited:
phillyfan26 said:
So many great songs they could pick from AND THEY USE SYCMIOYO! :angry:

I also think the choice of songs isn't very good by now - I just hate Miss Sarajewo. And "Bullet the Blue Sky" and "Love and Peace" really weren't highlights for me during the tour. Also SYCMIOYO - :madspit:
but the the version for Cannes was only a hour. The final version is going to be 90 minutes - so I hope that they include Pride, Streets, New Years Day - they all looked great in the video the argentinian tv crew shot - so I guess they should also look great with the others cams.

-
question: it said I have a private message - but I can't read it. - I'm not a premium member. So haven't I found the right link - or can I just not read it because I am a "normal" member?

Last edited:
Axver said:

I'll be going to the one at the Jam Factory. The other four are in Northland Shopping Centre, Knox Shopping Centre (Wantima South), Westfield Cheltenham, and Sunshine Marketplace.

I'm kind of pissed Melbourne Central doesn't have this as that's the nearest cinema to me, but at least the Jam Factory's easily accessible by tram.

I'm just surprised there isn't one in the city proper... There's that IMAX place near the Exhibition Building, I think, and I'd've thought that'd be the ideal place for it.

Or, as you said, Melbourne Central, although that place has sooo many international students and tourists that I shudder to walk through it every morning to uni (coming from a first-gen asian australian, it's pretty rich, I know, but meh)

Damn it!! I only just moved from Sydney to Auckland... I'm such a loser!!

perrypickwick said:

I also think the choice of songs isn't very good by now - I just hate Miss Sarajewo. And "Bullet the Blue Sky" and "Love and Peace" really weren't highlights for me during the tour. Also SYCMIOYO - :madspit:
but the the version for Cannes was only a hour. The final version is going to be 90 minutes - so I hope that they include Pride, Streets, New Years Day - they all looked great in the video the argentinian tv crew shot - so I guess they should also look great with the others cams.

-
question: it said I have a private message - but I can't read it. - I'm not a premium member. So haven't I found the right link - or can I just not read it because I am a "normal" member?

You can't read it as a normal member.

@danke vincent vega

I just found another source (31.7.) that say "autumn" - would be great :drool:

"Audiences will be able to reach out and touch Bono's hand in "U2 3D," an IMAX 3-D chronicle of the band's Vertigo tour of Latin America. A 56-minute preview of the 80-minute film was shown to great acclaim at the past Cannes Film Festival. Culled from seven different concerts in early 2006 by directors Catherine Owen and Mark Pellington, "U2 3D" will feature 15 songs. A firm autumn release date is pending."

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/movies/ny-filmnotes0731-concerts,0,7957885.column

perrypickwick said:
an IMAX 3-D chronicle of the band's Vertigo tour of Latin America.

The "IMAX" portion is inaccurate however, as they don't have rights to it (initially at least). IMAX did not have reps at the screening in Cannes, whereas Real D did. They are actually competitors.

ntalwar said:

The "IMAX" portion is inaccurate however, as they don't have rights to it (initially at least). IMAX did not have reps at the screening in Cannes, whereas Real D did. They are actually competitors.

We just don't know that. Perhaps the contracts have allready been signed. You just can't build up a IMAX screen in Cannes, or at the event (was it the showest - I forgot) were SBS and the Trailer was shown. At those events IMAX isn`t in a competition with RealD.
One thing is for sure: form a technical point o view: you can show the film on both formats - if both corporations will show it is another question.

By the way:
Last year (also in august) Bono and his elevation partners were interested in buying IMAX - the didn't (as far as I know)

perrypickwick said:

You just can't build up a IMAX screen in Cannes, or at the event (was it the showest - I forgot) were SBS and the Trailer was shown. At those events IMAX isn`t in a competition with RealD.
One thing is for sure: form a technical point o view: you can show the film on both formats - if both corporations will show it is another question.

Real D actually installed a silver screen in Cannes for the screening, and their CEO was there. It can probably be shown on both projection systems, but I haven't seen any quotes or mention by IMAX.

perrypickwick said:

You just can't build up a IMAX screen in Cannes, or at the event (was it the showest - I forgot) were SBS and the Trailer was shown. At those events IMAX isn`t in a competition with RealD.

Real D actually installed a silver screen in Cannes for the screening, and their CEO was there. It can probably be shown on both projection systems, but I haven't seen any quotes or mention from IMAX.

that sounds cool http://www.esquire.com/features/music/u23d0807

Highest Fidelity

U2's new 3-D concert film is near perfect. Which is kind of a shame.

By Stephen Garrett

If the concert film is simply a non-narrative souvenir of a unique live experience, then directors Catherine Owens and Mark Pellington have reached the genre apex with U2 3D. Bono's hand reaches off the movie screen in an eerie technological benediction. The Edge threatens decapitation with his swinging guitar neck. Arenawide shots boast depth of field so realistic that your seat feels like a stadium bleacher. Impeccable close-ups offer intimacy usually reserved for VIP rock journalists and corporate sponsors. It's a mesmerizing, masterful film of musical performance. Is it worth watching? Absolutely. But is it worth remembering?

Think of Jimi Hendrix lighting his guitar on fire in D.A. Pennebaker's Monterey Pop (1968), the National Guard bringing in food and medical aid to the hippie crowd in the split-screen Woodstock (1970), or the crowd-control Hells Angels rampaging at Altamont Speedway in the Maysles brothers' Gimme Shelter (1970). The Last Waltz (1978) with the Band. Stop Making Sense (1984) with Talking Heads. These movies are products of directors who massage epiphany out of spectacle.

Fashion photographer Bert Stern virtually invented the concert film in 1960 with Jazz on a Summer's Day, a time capsule of the 1958 Newport Jazz Festival that immortalizes Anita O'Day, Louis Armstrong, Mahalia Jackson, and others using voluptuous, impressionistic camera work. He swaddled his reportage in a style that not only reflects the music but also downright illuminates it. U2 3D does the same thing (if briefly) during "The Fly," when swarms of platitudes scissor their way throughout the image, conflating JumboTron wizardry with the band's raw energy and creating a uniquely cinematic sequence.

Moments like that upgrade U2 3D from perfect to transcendent. Here's hoping the inevitable U2 3D: 2 has more of them.

Back
Top Bottom