U2003 - Your Predictions, Your Suggestions, Your Wishes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Happy New Year, everyone! :wave:

With a new year, comes new resolutions, new beginnings, new chapters, etc.

What do you want for and from U2 in 2003?

What do you think will happen?

What do you think will not happen?

Discuss! :happy:

My wish is for U2 to release a new album this year.

I am going to go on a U2 diet. I'm kinda getting tired of the same old stuff, so I'm not gonna listen to U2 this year until the new album comes out. That way, it'll be like falling in love with their music all over again. I don't think it'll be a problem. There are several other bands to get into. I'm just now scratching the surface of Dave Matthews Band, for instance. I got that live album from Folsom Field, and I love it. I'm gonna start getting into them more. It'll be an interesting experiment to do.

I'd hope to see a new album out sometime this year. I'd like to see U2 get a little more experimental with their new album. My hope is that we'd see an album and a tour that would take a few risks, as they did with ZooTV. They've really got nothing left to prove, ATYCLB and the Elevation tour proved that. Time to do something a little more crazy. I'd be happy with an album this year, and a tour next year (2004). I hope they don't rush things - we saw what happened with Popmart and the Pop album when they tried to get things done without giving themselves enough time.

The_acrobat said:
I am going to go on a U2 diet. I'm kinda getting tired of the same old stuff, so I'm not gonna listen to U2 this year until the new album comes out.

:ohmy: Good luck with that! I know I wouldn't be able to do it!

I'm hoping for a new album and new tour (hopefully by 2004).

But I wouldn't want something that was rushed out there and then it would be carppy. I would rather wait a few years and have them come out with something fresh and new, then for them to rush out something that will fall flat (*cough electricalstorm cough*)

Suggestion: U2 should go to work on their new album.

Wishes: U2 will release DVD versions of their VHS stuff, they have a lot of backlog - Zoo TV Sydney, Popmart Mexico, Best Of 1980-1990, Under A Blood Red Sky.

Predictions: U2 will sit doing nothing. No new album this year, no new DVD this year. Maybe a remix of an old song for a soundtrack or two, and maybe some side projects here and there by members, but nothing significant from U2.

Predictions are very different from wishes.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

U2 to live in belfast

and Larry to move into the house next door, and run nekkid past the conservatroy

:laugh:

jick said:
Suggestion: U2 should go to work on their new album.

Predictions: U2 will sit doing nothing. No new album this year, no new DVD this year. Maybe a remix of an old song for a soundtrack or two, and maybe some side projects here and there by members, but nothing significant from U2.
J - why do you think U2 will sit and do nothing? Don't they have plans to get into "serious recording" this January?

Predictions: U2 album out sometime before Xmas this year, will be harder edged and more experimental than ATYCLB, but people will still complain it's too soft. :D

Suggestions: I have none, other than to keep listening to the bands they say they're listening to.

Wishes: U2 releases an album filled with sonic experimentation and also some good hard-edged guitar-bass-and-drums rock and roll. They also bring Adam back into the front of the mix. The fans are happy and quit their bitching. :D

I wish, predict and suggest that U2 aim for a more commercial sound with the new album. They need to make it more accessible and more of an ear candy than ATYCLB was. U2 have gained momentum already by somewhat getting less edgy with ATYCLB, making the album more catchy and radio-friendly for the fans. I think this should be the new U2 direction.

But being a commercial success doesn't mean that it cannot co-exist with Edge's statements that this will be a more raw and rocking album. To be catchy and ear-candyish, U2 should just avoid slow and boring songs that just plod along like Electrical Storm and Hands That Built America. Then again, I think U2 intentionally inserted these slow songs to strike a balance since a lot of songs in the Best Of 1990-2000 were rockers from Gone, Real Thing, Mysterious Ways, Hold Me Thrill Me, etc.

Let's take Avril Lavigne for example. While her lyrics can't hold a candle to Bono's intricate songwriting (hey she was only 16 when she wrote the songs), her music shows that pop and a rocking raw sound can go together. I think this is the direction U2 should take, to keep up with their lofty commercial expectations and to keep them in the airwaves and relevant.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

jick said:
I wish, predict and suggest that U2 aim for a more commercial sound with the new album. They need to make it more accessible and more of an ear candy than ATYCLB was. U2 have gained momentum already by somewhat getting less edgy with ATYCLB, making the album more catchy and radio-friendly for the fans. I think this should be the new U2 direction.

But being a commercial success doesn't mean that it cannot co-exist with Edge's statements that this will be a more raw and rocking album. To be catchy and ear-candyish, U2 should just avoid slow and boring songs that just plod along like Electrical Storm and Hands That Built America. Then again, I think U2 intentionally inserted these slow songs to strike a balance since a lot of songs in the Best Of 1990-2000 were rockers from Gone, Real Thing, Mysterious Ways, Hold Me Thrill Me, etc.

Let's take Avril Lavigne for example. While her lyrics can't hold a candle to Bono's intricate songwriting (hey she was only 16 when she wrote the songs), her music shows that pop and a rocking raw sound can go together. I think this is the direction U2 should take, to keep up with their lofty commercial expectations and to keep them in the airwaves and relevant.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP
Hilarious.

I predict that U2 deliver an November album, and I believe this because they have written a lot songs in the past year and a half. Think about it since the Elevation Tour ended the band has been in the studio at least 3 times that I have heard of. I'm certain that the Edge is working on new material as you read.

I think U2 will deliver their hardest rocking album since Achtung Baby, and most commercially viable since Joshua Tree (with huge hit singles). I feel good after about their musical direction after hearing two things: 1) Electrical Storm, as pedestrian as it may have been two things ruled in that song - the Edge was willing to bring back the guitar solo and Bono's yelp sounded great. 2) The Edge (not Bono) is talking about cranking up the guitar and RAWKing out some! And in the past whenever a leak about album direction has come from the band, it was always out of the mouth of Bono. We all know that Edge is the real driver of the car, and he'll push that album to the rock edge of the spectrum.

That's just my gut feeling. Anyone else?

Back
Top Bottom