U2 world records

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
biggest screen in a concert (popmart) i think, or am i making it up, i think i saw it somewhere:shrug:

also, not so much records, but first:

Zoo TV: first b-stage
Elevatin: First circular walkway

Bono hold the award for the most creative use of the word 'f**k' in an awards ceremony.

monke said:
biggest screen in a concert (popmart) i think, or am i making it up, i think i saw it somewhere:shrug:

It wasn't only the biggest screen in a concert. At the time it was the biggest screen ever built. Not sure if "the record" has been broken after, though.

financeguy said:
Bono hold the award for the most creative use of the word 'f**k' in an awards ceremony.

Yeah, only followed by John Cleese's speech at Chapmans funeral. Cleese explains that Chapman came to him after his death and said that he was proud to be the first person on British television to say shit, and that John should "be the first person ever, at a british memorial service, to say: fuck."

Last edited:
u2 also share the record for Most Albums On US Chart Simultaneously with The Beatles, The Monkees and Pearl Jam

Don't they hold the record for having played to the biggest amount of people on a tour?

Popmart in Reggio Emilia, Italy held 150 000 people (with the band that means 150 004 :wink: ). I think that was a record at the time for only one band. It is still the record for U2, though.

Edit: Oh, sorry. You were talking about a tour. I was thinking concert.

Last edited:
Slane and Croke Park sold very fast, I can tell you ;).
I think they beat Robbie Williams concert at Slane with a LOT. It was the fastest selling there. I doubt that it's possible to sell faster with todays technology.

I remember hearing once that The Joshua Tree was one of the first (if not the first) albums released simultaneously on vinyl, cassette, and CD.

Longest time spent without smiling -Larry Mullen Jr.

Page 79, I swear it's in there, go look. :wink:

miss becky said:
I remember hearing once that The Joshua Tree was one of the first (if not the first) albums released simultaneously on vinyl, cassette, and CD.

yes, and also, i think "Fire" was the first or third CD single to be released

I believe Elevation is the 2nd highest grossing tour of all time, after some Stones tour in the 80s.

I remember reading somewhere that Joshua Tree was the first album to ever go Platinum before it was released.

As far as U2's record for innovation in concerts goes, I think they have innovated a lot of what you see today in everybody else's concerts. Circular/elliptical stages and curtains of lights will be everywhere in 5-10 years. Just like when U2 wowed everyone with their innovative usage of video boards in Zoo TV. I can recall video boards being used by other bands previously but usually it pretty much just showed the band playing. Zoo TV changed many many things in the concert business and Popmart took it even further. That Popmart video board was, indeed, the largest every constructed at that time. I suppose the Petrified Stones built one bigger after that just to do it "bigger". They are good that way *sarcasm*

kennerado said:
I remember seeing a Matchbox 20 concert on DVD, they used the Zoo TV Words flashing on the screen effect. They stole it from Zoo TV!

Hmm...I saw them on that tour and definitely didn't remember that. What song(s) did that happen in?

T

ElectricalVoice said:
Popmart in Reggio Emilia, Italy held 150 000 people (with the band that means 150 004 :wink: ). I think that was a record at the time for only one band. It is still the record for U2, though.

Actually, Popmart Reggio Emilia still holds the world record for highest attendance of a paying crowd to a single act without support.

The Vertigo Tour, I believe, will be the highest grossing tour worldwide once it completes, though the Rolling Stones' current tour is likely to beat it.

Axver said:
Actually, Popmart Reggio Emilia still holds the world record for highest attendance of a paying crowd to a single act without support.

Though if Macca's concert in Rome had been paying, it would have beat it by about 350,000 people.

Checked on Guiness World Record's website for U2. U2 hold 2 world records.

The record for the most albums on the US Top 200 at the same time is seven, held jointly by The Beatles, The Monkees and U2.

Fastest Concert Recording To Release:
The fastest time between the recording of a live concert performance and its release for digital download sale is 44 min and 39 sec for "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" performed by Sir Paul McCartney (UK) and U2 (Ireland), and organised by Universal Music Group International, eLabs and on behalf of Live 8 on 2 July 2005.

waynetravis said:
Checked on Guiness World Record's website for U2. U2 hold 2 world records.

The record for the most albums on the US Top 200 at the same time is seven, held jointly by The Beatles, The Monkees and U2.

Does it list which seven albums this was?

Axver said:
The Vertigo Tour, I believe, will be the highest grossing tour worldwide once it completes, though the Rolling Stones' current tour is likely to beat it.

Only because most concert goers to the Stones concert have to sell kidneys and children to be able to afford a ticket

Back
Top Bottom