U2 working with pop songwriter for new album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really see how this guy "waiting for feedback from Bono" equals he's producing the next U2 album.

Or that he is writing the next U2 album. Or, in fact, that he's writing U2 songs at all. Could be he's working with Bono and Edge, outside U2 project. Could be nothing.

But the panic mode is interesting to see.

Ever since U2 couldn't release a new album that has been promised numerous times, this has really been a train-wreck in slow motion.

Well, I am not concerned that he is producing so much. I am more worried that any involvement with his area of pop music expertise is just "off-putting" - and quite a worry. I mean, let's get real. Rock band can write pop tunes, and perform other tunes, but that is a slippery slope.

Yes, maybe he can help them consult, maybe it could be even good (ha!??!), but when you look at this guy's current and previous work, its really a "wow" (and not in a good way) moment for what our level of U2 fandom is expecting.

U2 need to make good music, this risk seems really "risky." Making Achtung Baby was a risk, and it pushed the band - this seems silly, and grasping.

Ugh, why can't I consult the band, a million better ways to go for consulting help.

I can see U2 doing this for a song or two. NLOTH, IMO, is a great album. The weaknesses were actually two songs that were released as singles (GOYB and "Crazy"). NLOTH lacked some radio-friendly hits.

U2 don't always have big chart-topping hits. "Pride", "Beautiful Day", "Staring at the Sun", "Vertigo", "All I Want Is You" - songs that even casual fans know well - failed to chart in the top 20 in the U.S. But those songs resonated and lingered on the charts for a while. GOYB and "Magnificent" both hit the Top 100, but were gone almost immediately.

If U2 can create at least one or two "Beautiful Day" type of songs - the type that may not reach the Top 10 (in the U.S.), but at least linger on the charts and stay in people's minds - they can merge that with the brilliant moments of NLOTH (like MOS). And that could create a classic album.

I just hope that U2, in their effort to create these "hits" don't abandon what made NLOTH such a great album.

popacrobat said:
I don't really see how this guy "waiting for feedback from Bono" equals he's producing the next U2 album.

I was wondering the same thing. I'm waiting for feedback from Bono as well, but he won't return my calls. :wink:

If Bono let his hair go naturally white, he'd look like he was pushing 70. Someone should photoshop his latest pictures from the award show.

There are several substantial differences.

Danger Mouse has worked on a handful of great, diverse albums, one of them being among the biggest pop records of the last 15 years.
They're working DM as a producer, not songwriter.
Carl Falk is a pop songwriter who wrote Hit Me Baby One More Time.
Hiring a producer is normal for a band of songwriters.
Hiring a shlock pop songwriter is a completely different thing.
It's an act of commercial desperation, and it has nothing to do with making good music.
Imagine if someone had told Bono in 1992, or 1987, or 1983 they'd work with plastic pop songwriters...he'd probably have hit them.

I hope this is true. It's unlikely that their next record would be above average anyway, and if any band is due for a trainwreck horror show of an album it's U2. It's surprising that they've never made an all time classic piece of shit yet. Maybe this will be the one!

I DONT WANNA MISS A THING.

Breathe is definitely a top 10 track... on NLOTH. They need to hang around a new crowd, one that will tell them that working with William and his ilk is just unacceptable. Jane's Addiction aren't the most respectable group these days, but at least they worked with Dave Sitek.

Meh. I'm not nearly as cynical as you. I listen to music cause I enjoy it. Life's enough of a kick in the balls without looking for non-musical reasons to not like the music I like. I gave up that attitude a LONG time ago. I have to actively hate the music I don't enjoy? I have to study the motives of the creator? Who has the energy for that? Who wants to be around that guy?

I don't think U2 is, or ever has been, as rockist as many of their fans. I've read Bono quotes, 1983 Bono quotes, where he envisioned Barbara Streisand singing "Two Heards Beat As One." The last time U2 worked with a pop writer/producer they gave us Breathe, which is a top 10 U2 track. So, I don't see the problem with them working with another pop writer/producer. Falk is a producer as well. If it gets us a track remotely close to that, then it's all worth it.

Meh, Mighty Mouse is over-rated. I wouldn't assign "great" to anything he's done. That word gets thrown around WAY too much. I know the indie rock kids are crazy over him, but it's mostly hype. Working with the hip indie guy is cool? but working with the hip pop guy is bad?

I also get tired of the rock world being just like high school. You can hang with that guy, but not with that guy. It's childish and should go away. This is one of the things I've always liked about U2. They'll work with everyone, from The Coconuts, to BB King, to The Coors, to Dylan, to The Secret Machines, to Rhianna to Jay Z to Willie Nelson, and on and on.

bonobieber.jpg

Ever since U2 couldn't release a new album that has been promised numerous times, this has really been a train-wreck in slow motion.

Agreed. I have no idea just how close they were to releasing a new album, but there is a distinct possibility they had a major case of cold feet. Add to that Bono's not too subtle comments last year about being on the "edge of irrelevance" and wanting to be in the "small spaces where people live" (read: I want us to be on the radio again) and now this...and I really don't like where his head seems to be at right now.

The thing is, U2 should never have put themselves in this position, April Fool's or not. Not sure why they can't understand how to "be" - their idea of taking risks now is trying to relevant on the pop charts.

They will always be relevant, just like the Boss is. Get #1 records, don't expect hit singles. Period. Play live, do interesting art (the whole reason you worked with Eno/Lanois in the first place, Zoo, etc.)

I will say it again, they should hole up with Danny in LA and do something raw.

Meh. I'm not nearly as cynical as you.
I listen to music cause I enjoy it. Life's enough of a kick in the balls without looking for non-musical reasons to not like the music I like. I gave up that attitude a LONG time ago. I have to actively hate the music I don't enjoy? I have to study the motives of the creator? Who has the energy for that? Who wants to be around that guy?

You asked for differences between their working with Danger Mouse and the pop songwriter, so I pointed them out. I'm happy that you listen to music because you enjoy it, but I don't think that trait is exclusive to you. Who said anything about hate? One doesn't need to "study motives" to come to a conclusion about why they'd work with this guy, if they are. Also, disliking music for non musical reasons is ... bizzare.

I don't think U2 is, or ever has been, as rockist as many of their fans. I've read Bono quotes, 1983 Bono quotes, where he envisioned Barbara Streisand singing "Two Heards Beat As One." The last time U2 worked with a pop writer/producer they gave us Breathe, which is a top 10 U2 track. So, I don't see the problem with them working with another pop writer/producer. Falk is a producer as well. If it gets us a track remotely close to that, then it's all worth it.

Top 10 what? It's in the top 10 songs on NLOTH, but that's about it. Maybe top 10 u2 songs of the decade. Also, I don't think Will.he.is. had much to do with it.

And who said anything about rockism? It's pretty clear that U2 are as un-rockist as a rock band can be. Remember Zooropa and Passengers?

Meh, Mighty Mouse is over-rated. I wouldn't assign "great" to anything he's done. That word gets thrown around WAY too much. I know the indie rock kids are crazy over him, but it's mostly hype. Working with the hip indie guy is cool? but working with the hip pop guy is bad?

Right, Demon Days was an indie hit. It only had two massive singles, sold several million copies, and is regarded as one of the best records of that decade. And Gnarls Barkly, jeez if only the public picked up on "Crazy" then it wouldn't be confined to the indie ghetto. It's all just hype from indie kids...

Hipness has nothing to do with it, it's the quality of the work.

I also get tired of the rock world being just like high school. You can hang with that guy, but not with that guy. It's childish and should go away.

Hate to break it to you, but the "rock" world hasn't been like that for 20 years.

A couple of little tweets that dont mention anything to do with an album or production and people are already having this down as a done deal, its sad that people dont look forward to new U2 music anymore, i do really mean that, such a sad time to be a fan :(

Or that he is writing the next U2 album. Or, in fact, that he's writing U2 songs at all. Could be he's working with Bono and Edge, outside U2 project. Could be nothing.

But the panic mode is interesting to see.

Yeah, exactly. It's probably nothing, or just Bono/Edge adding to some sort of collaboration. Or maybe it's a one-off single or something. Maybe they're finishing North Star for a potential best of 2000-2010 release as a new song.. I mean, they have a version produced with RedOne, and this guy doesn't seem that far off from RedOne.

I mean, Danger Mouse has been entirely quiet about his work with U2. Whenever he was asked specifically about how things went or sounded, he'd say he's not really allowed to/willing to talk about it yet...something like that at least.

So now, because some guy tweeted that he's waiting to hear feedback from Bono, and he's excited to work with U2, that means he's producing the next album? It seems that U2 have been pretty mum about who they're working with/what exactly they're working on, so I'm not really banking on "sources close to the band" or a guy's twitter saying he's waiting on feedback from Bono. Wouldn't the produce be the one giving feedback anyway?

Yeah, exactly. It's probably nothing, or just Bono/Edge adding to some sort of collaboration. Or maybe it's a one-off single or something. Maybe they're finishing North Star for a potential best of 2000-2010 release as a new song.. I mean, they have a version produced with RedOne, and this guy doesn't seem that far off from RedOne.

I mean, Danger Mouse has been entirely quiet about his work with U2. Whenever he was asked specifically about how things went or sounded, he'd say he's not really allowed to/willing to talk about it yet...something like that at least.

So now, because some guy tweeted that he's waiting to hear feedback from Bono, and he's excited to work with U2, that means he's producing the next album? It seems that U2 have been pretty mum about who they're working with/what exactly they're working on, so I'm not really banking on "sources close to the band" or a guy's twitter saying he's waiting on feedback from Bono. Wouldn't the produce be the one giving feedback anyway?

"wouldn't the producer be the one giving feedback" bingo bloody bongo

A couple of little tweets that dont mention anything to do with an album or production and people are already having this down as a done deal, its sad that people dont look forward to new U2 music anymore, i do really mean that, such a sad time to be a fan :(

I actually think that it's because anticipation is so high that people are clinging to every iota of information. And, as expected on the internet, people are more than happy to share their views about said information. :lol:

But to me, this is the same as it's always been. If U2 released albums more frequently, then even if there was some "experimental dud", fans might not care as much as 2 years later, there could be a brand new album. But when one waits 4 years between releases, anticipation and consternation grow.

This is all rumours but what isnt a rumour is u2's (maybe just bono) urge to be relevent and to be on top of the pop charts again. So it does add up abit.

This is what i dont get there in their 50's now surely they should see that the people who they want to be intrested in them (general young music buyers not us fans cause we will buy it anyway) aint going to be its not 1990 or 2000 anymore. There not going to have a sucessfull reinvention cause people just dont care (apart from us)

U2 could release an album better then the joshua tree tomorrow but it wouldnt even come close to the sucess of it because people just wouldnt be bothered.

I loved nloth so its a shame if its true. They need to know when there time in the charts are up and it obviously ended after atomic bomb.

Maybe its bono hanging round with all these young american stars thats causing it :)

When I saw the little news blurb this morning, I wasn't annoyed by U2. I was preemptively annoyed by U2 fans' reactions.

I have faith it's still going to sound like a U2 record. I mean, it's U2. They're not becoming a boy band, despite Bono's hand-wringing about wanting sales and competing with pop stars.

I do get a little worried and/or annoyed sometimes when they say stuff like that, but in the end, I'll wait to actually hear the songs before passing judgment.

And hey, if it totally sucks and everybody points and laughs at them, hopefully they'll learn a valuable lesson from that. If failure is what it takes to finally convince them that hits doesn't necessarily mean relevance, than great. Fail away, boys.

... and if it sucks AND it's a huge hit ..... well, then maybe I'll panic. :wink:

I actually think that it's because anticipation is so high that people are clinging to every iota of information. And, as expected on the internet, people are more than happy to share their views about said information. :lol:

But to me, this is the same as it's always been. If U2 released albums more frequently, then even if there was some "experimental dud", fans might not care as much as 2 years later, there could be a brand new album. But when one waits 4 years between releases, anticipation and consternation grow.

Am not sure doc, i mean this place seems alot quiter than it normally used to be between albums and tours etc,

U2 talking about/being talked about as working with Will.he.is, Red One, David Guetta, and Falk is pretty embarssing, but it's unlikely anything will come of it.

I hope that album gets made, though. I'd rather a spectacularly disastrous sell out bid for pop hits by guys in their mid 50s (and who look it!) than another average record with a couple good songs. Look at it this way: they've accomplished everything a rock band can, but they've avoided that massive failure that rock and roll mythology pretty much demands. They need to make this album. I'm going to start a petition!

I think people don't look forward to new U2 music for other reasons, though.

Right on. I remember and REM interview where Mike Mills was talking about that. He basically said that if someone doesn't like their record, well that's too bad but they'll be putting one out the following year or a year after, and maybe they'll like that one.

By putting albums out so infrequently they become eras unto themselves, and that's unfortunate because the flaws are heightened dramatically.

U2 talking about/being talked about as working with Will.he.is, Red One, David Guetta, and Falk is pretty embarssing, but it's unlikely anything will come of it.

I hope that album gets made, though. I'd rather a spectacularly disastrous sell out bid for pop hits by guys in their mid 50s (and who look it!) than another average record with a couple good songs. Look at it this way: they've accomplished everything a rock band can, but they've avoided that massive failure that rock and roll mythology pretty much demands. They need to make this album. I'm going to start a petition!

I think people don't look forward to new U2 music for other reasons, though.

Why is it "embarssing"? just because the names mentioned have produced "pop" acts doesnt mean sod all, it will still be U2, ans where does the rule say that just because your in your 50's your not allowed to have a hit? i bloody hate that unwritten rule i really do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom