U2 will have the last laugh...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theu2fly

Refugee
Over the history of music, many bands have come and go... most noticably, the Beatles, the Doors, Pink Floyd... many of these bands spend less than 10+ years together, and usually split over musical/personal differences...

Since the 80s, U2 set itself apart from the new wave synth / dance rythmnic influenced sound. The 80s also gave birth to new bands, Bon Jovi and Duran Duran -- who each had their share of hits...

The 90s proved to be a difficult era to master, Nirvana conquered it with their song "Smells Like Teen Spirit" but before to ever capture their stardom, Kurt ended his life. Pearl Jam reached global popularity, but settled for the fans -- instead of money.

U2 then continued with success, both commercially and touring. Nearly every tour since ZOO TV had been sold out -- and with POPMART they did let the fame get to their heads...

Nearly every 80s band, has some type of revital tour, the Police are doing it, Bon Jovi is doing it... Duran Duran is back in the studio working a way to remix their sound...

U2 has gradually improved with each album, and given it some type of direction... I don't think 20 years after the Joshua Tree, we'd ever imagined U2 writing another 'Where The Streets Have No Name' esque song "City Of Blinding Lights" -- it certainly breathes life and fresh air into a band rather than writing mock off copies of "With Or Without You" or "One"

U2 pulled out many older songs during their Vertigo tour, and debuted many new songs... at the same time, the band did not seem to rely heavily on 'greatest hits' --- each song had it's own meaning and feeling to it -- and the audience knew that. But what's more amazing is ... a band after being together for 25 years, can still play material from their first album and not be ashamed of that -- that's truely pride.

Listening to "Window In The Skies" the band seemed to move in a more melodic, less climatic song. Inspired by the Beatles, they aimed to write a classic song, that could be song for years. If anything has told us, this is a step in the direction of what may be the next defining album of their career. We don't truely know what U2 has left in store, it's just a matter of the right notes, right lyrics and experimenting -- anything's possible...

So U2 will have the last laugh among any band in the last 50 years... They wil publish an album that will be defining for them, again, they will never 'fade away' or write a somewhat hit song, then tour and fade. They managed to sell 810,000 copies the first week with 'Bomb' and stayed on top of the charts for 3 weeks... the same material wouldn't sell as heavily... so newer material always has a hit or miss risk.

So many 80's bands just come back into the scene, find someway to remix an old hit -- (Think Mister Mister) or stir up a rumor of a reunion and do it (Police) or cover/convert their songs to country/western (Bon Jovi) ... that in the end, they just tour without any solid material that shows how much the band has learned and grown. U2 is always experimenting and finding the right words to say, and to say it to... U2 will never be a band like the Rolling Stones, who respectively at their 70s, still tour with old material -- you can see the same show, same material -- with the same band -- but you'd like them regardless because they are your favorite band.

But if your favorite band takes a risk, writes material that brings some excitment into your life, and are confident with it -- then you truely commit yourself to them -- and the future. I would like to imagine that U2 won't do anything to tarnish their image or music -- (despite what people said about 'One w/ Mary J', or U218 singles) they have the smarts, and see what other bands are doing -- and where to succeed from there.

I want whatever your smoking. First off, City of Blinding Lights is no "streets". And if you really think they gradually improve with each album then i have to assume either A) you are either listening to their collection backwards or B) you are a complete retard.

U2 took chances and did whatever the fuck they wanted to up until about 10 years ago, and after that its all been downhill and very predictable. Yeah, there have been some pretty good moments along the way, but nothing like the good old days when they actually were good enought not to care what their chart position was.

I still love this band, because of that threshold they reached once upon a time. Back when they really seemed to give a fuck. But they sure as hell arent what they used to be.

The problem is their '00 era music is always going to suffer because it's always going to be compared to their 80s and 90s work. They are in their forties.

theu2fly said:
Listening to "Window In The Skies" the band seemed to move in a more melodic, less climatic song.

That's very eco-friendly of them.

Inspired by the Beatles, they aimed to write a classic song, that could be song for years. If anything has told us, this is a step in the direction of what may be the next defining album of their career.

Maybe a singles-based album focused on pop songs in the spirit of The Beatles? This is how Bono described All That You Can't Leave Behind prior to its release...

Let's (not) hope for a sequel. Maybe they can call it Paul, Dave, Larry, and Adam... or is that too Sylvester Stallone? I guess it doesn't matter, as someone has already absolved the band of future relevance due to their age.

Ok, I am going to chip in briefly for the first and last time in this kind of thread, and just say that I'm tired of people cutting bands slack because 'they're in their forties now'. Oh and not to forget that other hoary old one 'they have families to support now' (which they also had in the 1980s, but nevermind that).

Let me tell you something guys. Nick Cave is, what, 50, now? And his new album fucking rocks.

It's so hard when great bands are measured against their, well, great work. It's like, damn! Why can't other people pretend I have clothes on?

Oh, fanboards can argue this stuff back and forth... but in their hearts U2 know they peaked in 1994 or so. The Stones know they peaked in 1972. Sting knows the Police were the only thing he ever had going for him. They know all this stuff. But they got interviews to give, copy to provide, yes?

Paul McCartney knows he's little without John, which is unfortunate since they stopped speaking in 1969. But there it is. Paul may or may not be a nice guy, but his new albums are not for a nice time.

:wink: :eyebrow: :ohmy: :mad:

I want to say to the original poster that I really enjoyed reading your post, especially because you are taking on a position that is unpopular here, and the bitter responses are predictable. I like your positive way of seeing things. But some people live in the past so much I feel sorry for them.

Last edited:
last unicorn said:
I want to say to the original poster that I really enjoyed reading your post, especially because you are taking on a position that is unpopular here, and the bitter responses are predictable. I like your positive way of seeing things. But some people live in the past so much I feel sorry for them.

agreeed !!! :up:

u2 peaked in 94 my arse ....:madspit:

last unicorn said:

agreed too :yes: :up:

They're in their 40s now? Meaning what? They have to turn in their guitars and drums and mikes?

They're not in their 70s, for God's sake!

I, for one, think the next 15 years will be fascinating, as long as they don't play it safe and as long as Bono's voice holds out. I don't want them to phone it in and I don't want to hear Bono get worse and worse (there are some really bad notes on Instant Karma that concern me.)

But creatively, they have much to do.

last unicorn said:

I want to say to the original poster tl;dr.

i do worry that bonos voice wil give out and he will run out of lyrics, things have been looking a lil bleak lately ......

but thats ok i will still love them .
the fans will hold it all together ... :pray:

last unicorn said:

poor me , can't help myself
i still believe that passengers & PoP are wonderful records
i want more music , and more colors

i must be sick

passengers :huh: but pop :rockon:

back to the point
in terms of longiviety will they get this album out and have the final tour ??????

or was that it with vertigo ??

will they ever retire ???

mysterious_jen said:

Yes. They retired in 1984. Every album since then has been made by cats who look like U2.

mysterious_jen said:
passengers :huh: but pop :rockon:

back to the point
in terms of longiviety will they get this album out and have the final tour ??????

or was that it with vertigo ??

they make people happy by having fun on stage
i can't see them retiring

passengers , what about ?

Mrs. Garrison said:
I want whatever your smoking. First off, City of Blinding Lights is no "streets". And if you really think they gradually improve with each album then i have to assume either A) you are either listening to their collection backwards or B) you are a complete retard.

U2 took chances and did whatever the fuck they wanted to up until about 10 years ago, and after that its all been downhill and very predictable. Yeah, there have been some pretty good moments along the way, but nothing like the good old days when they actually were good enought not to care what their chart position was.

I still love this band, because of that threshold they reached once upon a time. Back when they really seemed to give a fuck. But they sure as hell arent what they used to be.

I'm starting to wonder if your location is actually telling the whole story. :happy:

BonoVoxSupastar said:
negative stars for this one...

It sounds like U2's close to plotting global takeover.

I could totally see Bono doing a faux German accent leading Bruce Willis across New York while they rob the Federal Reserve. :cute:

Also Bon Jovi's not exactly having a "revival" tour, they never went anywhere. And while PJ have become less of a radio band, their concerts consistently sell out all over the world, so I'd say they're still globally popular.

last unicorn said:

Yah. The reason I don't post here much anymore is that so many people on this board are so pissed off at U2. I have never seen a set of fans so critical. The fact is that U2 is still together, still writing great stuff, still putting on amazing shows, and still doing great things! Bono doesn't think they peaked in 1994, he's on top of the world today -- and he should be.

cjboog said:

Yah. The reason I don't post here much anymore is that so many people on this board are so pissed off at U2.

That is just the vocal minority; you get them on every forum. You know, the obsessive kind with no friends; who get off on criticism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom