U2 will have the last laugh...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
theu2fly said:
Over the history of music, many bands have come and go... most noticably, the Beatles, the Doors, Pink Floyd... many of these bands spend less than 10+ years together, and usually split over musical/personal differences...

Since the 80s, U2 set itself apart from the new wave synth / dance rythmnic influenced sound. The 80s also gave birth to new bands, Bon Jovi and Duran Duran -- who each had their share of hits...

The 90s proved to be a difficult era to master, Nirvana conquered it with their song "Smells Like Teen Spirit" but before to ever capture their stardom, Kurt ended his life. Pearl Jam reached global popularity, but settled for the fans -- instead of money.

U2 then continued with success, both commercially and touring. Nearly every tour since ZOO TV had been sold out -- and with POPMART they did let the fame get to their heads...

Nearly every 80s band, has some type of revital tour, the Police are doing it, Bon Jovi is doing it... Duran Duran is back in the studio working a way to remix their sound...

U2 has gradually improved with each album, and given it some type of direction... I don't think 20 years after the Joshua Tree, we'd ever imagined U2 writing another 'Where The Streets Have No Name' esque song "City Of Blinding Lights" -- it certainly breathes life and fresh air into a band rather than writing mock off copies of "With Or Without You" or "One"

U2 pulled out many older songs during their Vertigo tour, and debuted many new songs... at the same time, the band did not seem to rely heavily on 'greatest hits' --- each song had it's own meaning and feeling to it -- and the audience knew that. But what's more amazing is ... a band after being together for 25 years, can still play material from their first album and not be ashamed of that -- that's truely pride.

Listening to "Window In The Skies" the band seemed to move in a more melodic, less climatic song. Inspired by the Beatles, they aimed to write a classic song, that could be song for years. If anything has told us, this is a step in the direction of what may be the next defining album of their career. We don't truely know what U2 has left in store, it's just a matter of the right notes, right lyrics and experimenting -- anything's possible...

So U2 will have the last laugh among any band in the last 50 years... They wil publish an album that will be defining for them, again, they will never 'fade away' or write a somewhat hit song, then tour and fade. They managed to sell 810,000 copies the first week with 'Bomb' and stayed on top of the charts for 3 weeks... the same material wouldn't sell as heavily... so newer material always has a hit or miss risk.

So many 80's bands just come back into the scene, find someway to remix an old hit -- (Think Mister Mister) or stir up a rumor of a reunion and do it (Police) or cover/convert their songs to country/western (Bon Jovi) ... that in the end, they just tour without any solid material that shows how much the band has learned and grown. U2 is always experimenting and finding the right words to say, and to say it to... U2 will never be a band like the Rolling Stones, who respectively at their 70s, still tour with old material -- you can see the same show, same material -- with the same band -- but you'd like them regardless because they are your favorite band.

But if your favorite band takes a risk, writes material that brings some excitment into your life, and are confident with it -- then you truely commit yourself to them -- and the future. I would like to imagine that U2 won't do anything to tarnish their image or music -- (despite what people said about 'One w/ Mary J', or U218 singles) they have the smarts, and see what other bands are doing -- and where to succeed from there.

:up:

i agree with the original post.

for serious.

Axver said:

Prepare for more excitement!

Bono on the next album: The Edge is on fire!
untitledsb1.png

The OP seems to have some notion that music is a contest. It is actually a dive into the vast expanses of human conception. I do not expect the average person to comprehend this from such a small scope/dimension.

xaviMF22 said:

I'm aboot to stab you in the neck with a pencil :mad:

I have a miracle drug to cure everything! Do not underestimate the power of baby head freedom!

CrownVCJ said:
The OP seems to have some notion that music is a contest. It is actually a dive into the vast expanses of human conception. I do not expect the average person to comprehend this from such a small scope/dimension.

is life not but a contest?

to do things

better than those surrounding you?

co workers
school mates

xaviMF22 said:

I lost all respect I had for you :wink:

and yea U2 may have been an influence

but they have never really mention or talk about U2

pixies
R.E.M
Joy Division

these are the bands they talk about :drool:

U2 is too popular for Radiohead to want to associate with.

from a Chuck Klosterman interview:

Part of the reason O'Brien is perceived as Radiohead's designated rocker is that he's the most interested in classic rock; he especially enjoys discussing U2, who appear to be Radiohead's third-biggest musical influence...For the most part, the other four members don't talk about mainstream rock.

"I'm interested in U2...U2 have been at it for years, and that song 'Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of' was amazing."

Mountain Dew Ma said:

is life not but a contest?

to do things

better than those surrounding you?

co workers
school mates

Co-operation > competition.

I'd write more if you weren't an alter and if I didn't have stuff to do. This has been a crazy thread. See you weird people later.

Canadiens1160 said:
His point is so valid though. What exploration is underway? What ground is being broken? U2 has been saturated by the underwhelming conceptual status-quo of the proliteriate. They need to return to a more liberated stance of mindscape and tought-dimension.

AtomicBono said:

U2 is too popular for Radiohead to want to associate with.

from a Chuck Klosterman interview:

Ed is a joke :|

the man is always high

and we radiohead fans suspect he was on crack

when he made that statement :mad:

CrownVCJ said:

His point is so valid though. What exploration is underway? What ground is being broken? U2 has been saturated by the underwhelming conceptual status-quo of the proliteriate. They need to return to a more liberated stance of mindscape and tought-dimension.
The Black Keys have released several albums which do not progress in scope, sound, or build on each other. Yet, I love them. You don't need to innovate or keep pushing for evolution if it's going to be forced.

As long as the songs are good. A song like Stuck.

dddkw7.png

Axver said:

Co-operation > competition.

I'd write more if you weren't an alter and if I didn't have stuff to do. This has been a crazy thread. See you weird people later.

no.

competition seperates the weak
from the strong

why carry the weak links
when they are but dead weight

i never was an alterboy. so i know not of what you

are speaking.

Axver said:

I have a miracle drug to cure everything! Do not underestimate the power of baby head freedom!

can we have some Love and peace as well?

I'll give you everything you want Ax, except the thing that you want :|

xaviMF22 said:

Ed is a joke :|

the man is always high

and we radiohead fans suspect he was on crack

when he made that statement :mad:

yes, he must be on crack for enjoying U2, what kind of crazy fucker would like them? clearly they have not impacted radiohead's music at all

Canadiens1160 said:
The Black Keys have released several albums which do not progress in scope, sound, or build on each other. Yet, I love them. You don't need to innovate or keep pushing for evolution if it's going to be forced.

As long as the songs are good. A song like Stuck.

As the great Nietzsche said, we must change, or we will surely die. What of this do you not understand? I invite you to join me on a more existential/existentialestial plane, where the frets of commoners seem small.

AtomicBono said:

yes, he must be on crack for enjoying U2, what kind of crazy fucker would like them? clearly they have not impacted radiohead's music at all

he's on crack for calling Stuck in a moment amazing :|

I hear he enjoys the Unforgettable fire though :up:

but he's a nobody

Jonny on the other hand :drool:

CrownVCJ said:

As the great Nietzsche said, we must change, or we will surely die. What of this do you not understand? I invite you to join me on a more existential/existentialestial plane, where the frets of commoners seem small.

Where the wild things are?

CrownVCJ said:

have u2
not changed?

passengers
vs.
bomb.

as the great edward r murrow said,

"The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer. "

Mountain Dew Ma said:

have u2
not changed?

passengers
vs.
bomb.

as the great edward r murrow said,

"The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer. "

Does a silver gull not change, when it is snared and dragged into the murky depths?

CrownVCJ said:

letmeshowyougifub7.jpg

CrownVCJ said:

Does a silver gull not change, when it is snared and dragged into the murky depths?

does said gull welcome this change
with open arms

or is it dragged down into the depths

against its will.

say u2 are said gull.

they have embraced their change into the murky depths.

should they have gone down
against their will.
then,
it would not truly have changed.

U2 ahrrrr rahcording theirrr nehxt albhum on the fohrehst mhoon of Endhorrrr.

Mountain Dew Ma said:

does said gull welcome this change
with open arms

or is it dragged down into the depths

against its will.

say u2 are said gull.

they have embraced their change into the murky depths.

should they have gone down
against their will.
then,
it would not truly have changed.

Your analogy is invalid, as U2 has chosen to become one with the muck of pedantic seaweed. This is their great downfall, self-inflicted and disappointing to a degree that can barely be contained in one thoughtsphere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom