U2 will be providing the halftime entertainment at the Super Bowl??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leeloo

War Child
So I was driving down the road last night listening to the radio, and Pride comes on. When it went off the DJ said, and I quote, "That was U2, who will be providing the halftime entertainment at Super Bowl XXXVIII on Feb. 1!!!!

:shocked: :crack: :crazy:

I waited, but he never retracted his statement. I tried to call the station but couldn't get through. Now, we the diehard U2 fans know this isn't true. Either he's gotten ahold of 2 year old news, or he was misled by the Bono/J-Lo(or Beyonce, whatever) stories and rumors, or does he know something we don't? :eyebrow: What's up with that?

I've found that for the most part radio DJs are the worst source for band information. Either the news is way out of date, just plain wrong, or some sort of weird combination of the two like this seems to be.

Edited to add:

From http://www.superbowl.com

The worlds of hip-hop, rock and pop collide at the AOL Top Speed Halftime Show

P. Diddy, Kid Rock and Nelly join Janet Jackson for a megastar lineup

NEW YORK (Jan. 14, 2004) -- MTV: Music Television, the NFL and CBS Sports announced that P. Diddy, Kid Rock and Nelly are set to join Janet Jackson during the AOL Top Speed Super Bowl XXXVIII Halftime Show. Super Bowl XXXVIII will be held on Feb. 1, 2004, at Reliant Stadium in Houston, Texas, and will air on CBS. The NFL selected MTV: Music Television to produce the AOL Top Speed halftime show. CBS and MTV are both owned by Viacom Inc.

"With the distinctive music of P. Diddy, Kid Rock, Nelly and Janet Jackson colliding, it's sure to be a powerhouse halftime that will appeal to all football and music fans," said Van Toffler, president of MTV/MTV2.

"CBS looks forward to working with our colleagues at MTV in showcasing an unprecedented combination of artists when the network presents Super Bowl XXVIII to the largest television audience of the year," said Leslie Moonves, chairman and CEO of CBS. "From the pregame through Survivor, CBS will provide something for everyone on Super Bowl Sunday."

As the CEO and founder of Bad Boy Entertainment, P. Diddy has spearheaded and overseen the careers for many well-known artists and groups, including Dream, 112, Notorious B.I.G., G. Dep and Faith Evans. "P. Diddy & Bad Boy Records Present ? We Invented The Remix" has gone multi-platinum.

Kid Rock pulls out all the stops with his blend of rock, country and hip-hop, and has sold millions of albums worldwide. Kid Rock's new self-titled album debuted at No. 8 on the Billboard 200 chart and was certified RIAA platinum only a month after its release.

Hip-hop superstar, CEO of Derrty Entertainment, and multi-platinum Universal recording artist Nelly returns to the Super Bowl halftime show, flying high off the success of his remix album, "Da Derrty Versions -- The Reinvention," which was certified platinum only three weeks after its release. Nelly's received worldwide superstar status after selling over 20-plus million albums in less than four years time.

This marks the second time MTV: Music Television will produce a Super Bowl Halftime Show for the NFL. MTV produced the show for Super Bowl XXXV, which aired on CBS in 2001 when the Baltimore Ravens beat the New York Giants. More than 130 million Americans watched the game and halftime show, providing CBS one of the most-watched nights in network television history. The Super Bowl XXXV Halftime Show featured Aerosmith and *NSYNC along with special guests Britney Spears, Nelly and Mary J. Blige in front of 75,000 fans at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa.

The AOL Top Speed Super Bowl XXXVIII halftime show will be executive produced by Dave Sirulnick and Salli Frattini. Alex Coletti will serve as producer and Beth McCarthy-Miller will direct.

MTV Networks owns and operates the cable television programming services MTV: Music Television, MTV2, Nickelodeon/Nick at Nite, TV Land, VH1, CMT: Country Music Television and Spike TV, as well as the The Digital Suite from MTV Netwoks, a package of thirteen digital services, all of which are trademarks of MTV Networks. MTV Networks also operates and offers joint ventures, licensing agreements and syndication deals whereby its programming can be seen worldwide.

Looks like another wonderful halftime show produced by MTV. :up:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom