U2 Whoring Themselves?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doctorwho

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
My TARDIS - currently located in Valparaiso, IN
I came across the following on youtwo.net:
September 5, 2001
Condensed from Rolling Stone:

We're disturbed -- but not surprised -- to see U2 whoring out "Beautiful Day" to any movie company that wants to use it in a trailer. And, judging from our recent excursions to the cinema, that appears to be all of 'em . . .

This simple statement infuriates me.
mad.gif
I find it ridiculously hypocritical for Rolling Stone magazine to claim that U2 are "whoring" themselves simply because they are selling song CLIPS to studios, while Rolling Stone apparently has no problem putting a made-up band, who do not write their own songs or play their own instruments, on 6(!) different covers and declares them the "World's Biggest Band." Clearly the six different covers were created to sell more magazines (as collector's would want each cover). Furthermore, how can one possibly fathom a made-up band as world dominators? This declaration is especially questionable considering N'Sync's latest chart performance. N'Sync's "Celebrity" plummetted from the Top 100 of U.K. charts after 4 short weeks, dived out of the Dutch charts in the same amount of time and never even made it onto the Australian or Irish charts. Even in the U.S., "Celebrity" has dropped below sales of 100,000 copies per week in only its 6th week (in contrast, ATYCLB sold over 100,000 copies a week for its first nine weeks). Therefore, can someone please explain why N'Sync was declared the World's Biggest Band?

Of course, that is a rhetorical question, as I know the answer. Clearly Rolling Stone's declaration was for one reason and one reason only: to cater to the younger U.S. crowd and sell more magazines (as U.S. teenagers are more prone to spending $$ on silly things).

I don't have a problem with this in and of itself. I do believe in marketing and advertising. However, I draw the line at hypocrisy. How dare Rolling Stone accuse U2 of "whoring" themselves simply for marketing a clip of a song, while Rolling Stone is blatantly catering to the whims of today's youth with the hopes of selling more magazines? Clearly the bigger "whoring" transgression is Rolling Stone's.

I can tolerate Rolling Stone putting Brad Pitt or Jennifer Anniston or other actors on the cover, even though they have nothing to do with music. I can accept Rolling Stone incorporating more ideas into their magazine other than music so that they can sell more. But what I cannot tolerate is this blatant hypocrisy.

I will NEVER again read or peruse Rolling Stone magazine or their web site.
mad.gif

[This message has been edited by doctorwho (edited 09-06-2001).]

I'm cancelling my subscription. Plus the last few issues I got had nothing but complete trash on the cover.

cringe.gif

------------------
Got The Swing Got The Sway
Got My Straw In Lemonade

Sicy's Website

Actually, they're not technically whoring themselves out. If I recall correctly, a movie trailer can use a song by a band if its a clip without necessarily needing the band's permission.

Plus, alot of times when movies are made they add the song in to the movie and then hope they can get permission afterwards.

And, the band is on a label that is owned by a major conglomerate which means the company may also own a movie studio so there may be pressure on the band to "cross market" their song in a movie by the same company.

AND MOST IMPORTANT: BUY Q MAGAZINE. There is a reason I cancelled my RS subscription. They've become a glorified version of Teen Beat. Britney is on the cover again this week for the third time and N Sync may be big in the US but no one cares about them in the rest of the rest of the world-- hardly "Biggest Band in the World" material. The editor must have teenage daughters he's trying to please in the hopes that they won't do drugs.

------------------
"Things will not be the same in this city for us." -Bono, Dublin, February 1980

Originally posted by sharky:
The editor must have teenage daughters he's trying to please in the hopes that they won't do drugs.

hahahahaha. After seeing what daddy produced they just might be inclined
biggrin.gif

Good points sharky!

------------------
"If I am close to the music, and you are close to the music, we are close to each other." -Bono

Originally posted by doctorwho:

I will NEVER again read or peruse Rolling Stone magazine or their web site.
mad.gif

DITTO.......and I've been a subscriber since I was 14......I cancelled my subscription when I recieved the Nsync issue!!!!

------------------
I'm just a singer,some say a sinner.Rolling the dice,not always a winner.
You say I've been lucky,well hell I've made my own.
Not part of the crowd,but not feeling alone.

----Two Shots of Happy One Shot of Sad-----

My question is this: RollingStone claims U2's "Beautiful Day" is in "all" of the movie trailers.
I have seen it in a grand total of one. The Bruce Willis/BillyBob Jolie movie.
Now I haven't been to the movies a lot lately, but seriously in how many trailers is this one song used?

BTW, I cancelled RollingStone 3 years ago when they went 6 straight issues with a non musical cover.

------------------
The joker is the best card.

[This message has been edited by Hewson (edited 09-06-2001).]

they are the shittest music mag in the world!!!

------------------
Running to Stand Still-"you gotta cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

"we're not burning out we're burning up...we're the loudest folk band in the world!"-Bono

while Rolling Stone apparently has no problem putting a made-up band, who do not write their own songs or play their own instruments, on 5(!) different covers and declares them the "World's Biggest Band." Clearly the five different covers were created to sell more magazines (as collector's would want each cover).
mad.gif

Ahem.

Sick as it is, they had six different covers. One for each member, and a group one.

Rolling Stone is total toilet paper. On a good day, maybe 1-ply. I am proud to never have been a subscriber.

Good to see that their "biggest band in the world" is not whoring themselves. What's a few Burger King commercials? In combination with "Nsync fruit snacks". No, I'm not kidding at all.

You said it DoctorWho..!

I am not a regular reader of RS but I heard about the nsync crap...And I will say...No way would I subscribe to that crap mag now.
They are officially banned from my house..
I think you are so right in saying their objective is to sell to the young readers any way they can and to sell as many copies as possible..Hypocrites!
mad.gif

Anyways thats my 2cents..
Peace!

------------------
If you twist and turn away
If you tear yourself in two again
If I could, yes I would
If I could, I would
Let it go
Surrender
Dislocate

Originally posted by anitram:
Ahem.

Sick as it is, they had six different covers. One for each member, and a group one.

Good to see that their "biggest band in the world" is not whoring themselves. What's a few Burger King commercials? In combination with "Nsync fruit snacks". No, I'm not kidding at all.

Thanks for the correction. I actually remembered the group photo, but momentarily forgot that there was five of them in the band. I made the correction to my initial post indicating six covers - which, of course, makes my point all the more dramatic!

As for your second point - bravo! U2 are "whores" because they might sell a song clip (or get some money for the clip being in a trailer) but when Britney does Pepsi commercials and N'Sync sells hamburgers and fruit snacks, it's perfectly acceptable.

I've given Rolling Stone a lot of room lately because they usually praise U2. However, right now I am so disgusted with them it makes me ill.

Nice1 DoctorWho! I agree with every word you said! I usually try not to hold grudges against magazines or whatever that spread shit on U2, but this one is hilarious, hypocrasy at the utmost! Well, I'll add Rolling Stone(glad to say I've never read it, or even visited the website, Q magazine baby!) to my list of no access areas. I think showbizireland.com are in there too.

Originally posted by SkeeK:
doctorwho.. you sent that nicely put letter of contempt to rollingstone right? because if you didn't you very much should!

I haven't mailed it as I simply haven't had the time. However, I encourage others to write as I will try to do so shortly. This type of hypocrisy should be pointed out and hopefully stopped. Otherwise, when will it end?

I'd be interested in gathering all the Nsync whoring details. I'm sure they're plentiful. That will be enough for at least a 10 page letter to RS.

September 5, 2001
Condensed from Rolling Stone:

We're disturbed -- but not surprised -- to see U2 whoring out "Beautiful Day" to any movie company that wants to use it in a trailer. And, judging from our recent excursions to the cinema, that appears to be all of 'em . . .

This statement is from the 'Well Hung at Dawn' column, by Krugman and Cohen. Their basic assessment of music is that if the band is mainstream at all, they suck. If the band is obscure, then they're obviously real artists who won't sell out and they MUST be good. Krugman & Cohen are, not surprisingly, idiots.

------------------
They want you to be Jesus
They'll go down on one knee
But they'll want their money back
If you're alive at thirty-three
And you're turning tricks
With your crucifix
You're a star

"I can't watch a man sing a song. He gets all emotional, he starts swaying...it's embarrassing!" -- Jerry Seinfeld

Well Hung At Dawn is actually not in the printed version of RS, it's for the web only. And these guys seemed to like U2 a while ago, but now they're bagging them along with REM and Radiohead. I wouldn't waste my time with writing a response, they'll just brand you a mindless U2 sheep in the next edition.

doctorwho.. you sent that nicely put letter of contempt to rollingstone right? because if you didn't you very much should!

Originally posted by SicilianGoddess:
I'm cancelling my subscription. Plus the last few issues I got had nothing but complete trash on the cover.

cringe.gif

Angelina Jolie looked pretty good though!
wink.gif

Back
Top Bottom