U2: Where is the LIVE album??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lemon

Babyface
Wow, it's been a while since I have posted. But when life keeps you busy, it's hard to always keep up.

Anyway, my quick question since I've been out of the loop on the board here....why aren't U2 giving us a live album of this tour????!!!?!?! Will we ever see another live album? It's time.

Thanks.

Doesn't the Boston DVD count?

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

I think they rely on the whole fan bootleg thing to carry the weight of their live recordings.

If your interested, try and find the elevation tour recording of the Cleveland show, its as good as a regular release.

bootlegs are expensive, but the real problem for me is that I know of no cd stores in Central Florida that have any. There was one sotre, but I guess they decided to stop for some reason.

I'm really desperate to get some though, if anyone knows of a store in my town(anywhere whithin an hour of Orlando) email me heremsstm@aol.com , please, I'd rather it not be posted here and get someone in trouble.

In any case an actual live realease would be welcome.

------------------
Steve
SAME OLD STORY- Hardcore American Comedy

[This message has been edited by hermes (edited 11-28-2001).]

Originally posted by hermes:
bootlegs are expensive, but the real problem for me is that I know of no cd stores in Central Florida that have any. There was one sotre, but I guess they decided to stop for some reason.

I'm really desperate to get some though, if anyone knows of a store in my town(anywhere whithin an hour of Orlando) email me heremsstm@aol.com , please, I'd rather it not be posted here and get someone in trouble.

In any case an actual live realease would be welcome.

You probably can't find any bootleg stores because many have been shut down and fined hundreds of thousands of dollars for selling CDs that they are not authorized to sell. You can get started by looking for Blank and Postage offers where you send 2 blank CD-Rs and postage to the trader and in return the trader copies a show for you and sends it back. Anyway, check your e-mail!

I know this is a bit off topic, but Lemon, where do you live? I go to school at Univ. of Delaware.

Brian

My guess is that they dont release one, because live albums tend to not do so well, regardless of who the band is. The only people who usually ever buy them are the "hardcore" fans of the band. Casual fans dont ever seem to purchase live albums. Look at Radiohead's recent live release for an example, even though Rolling Stone gave it 4 stars, which is amazing for any live album, it's not exactly selling.

That would be cool if DVD's could play in your stereo with just the audio!

------------------
"And I can feel the cold steel. And I can make a wound that won't heal."- Bono

During Edge's web chat before the South Bend show someone asked him if they were releasing a live album. Edge replied that the DVD is the live album. After all it is CD quality sound, so it is basically the same. It is easy to convert the DVD audio to a regular CD.

i think the band, perhaps mistakenly(but i don't think so), are assuming that there are much better ways for people to get their hands on concert recordings than for them to go through the process of releasing one. they released the dvd, which is quite easily converted to cd media.
for them to release a live cd would take up some degree of their time and i think they feel their energy can be better directed at this point.
bootlegs are readily available, even for those without high speed connections, connections at all, or lack of cd-r burning technology.
we as fans have essentially filled the gap and the market demand just isn't there. unless you want some cooler art work and remastered, and doctored, sound.

------------------
but everybody wanna live
don't nobody really wanna die
you feelin' me, right?
fred durst

Originally posted by Blue Room:
It is easy to convert the DVD audio to a regular CD.

That's not the point. I don't want a DIY live album. And not everyone is geek enough yet to do this. I want a live album that has the high quality sound of a commercial release. I'm a little tired of the spotty quality of boots; hearing some idiot screaming "Yeah!" right into the mic during songs is the major drawback of boots. I'm not going to argue with anyone about this. Some are going to rally to the defense of boots; fine. But I like commercially produced live albums.

------------------
...a highway with no one on it, a treasure just to look upon it...

Get a hold of the Cleveland bootleg during this tour. It's about as close as you're going to get to a "commercially-produced" live album. The sound is perfect, and no idiots. In fact, the only possible criticism of it is that it doesn't have enough audience in it!

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

The best bootleg available is clearly the 8th of June show from Boston.This was the bands best performance of the 4 nights and the quality of the recording is soundboard.Other good ones i have are Miami opening night,the first night in Cologne,Stockholm and the first night in Manchester.
There's no chance of u2 putting out a live album as they are aware that bootlegs are readily available to diehard fans.
By the way they aren't that expensive,they range from ?15-?20,which in truth would be the price of a live album.

Cheers.
Henke.

P.S Another good bootleg is the Denver show from the first time round.

Actually martha that IS the point. Edge himself stated the DVD is the album, take it or leave it. I didnt know being able to plug your DVD player into your computer and downloading the audio to your hard drive qualified a person as a geek??? Anyone with limited intelligence should be able to accomplish this.

Oh, and audience noise is not present on soundboard bootlegs. As stated above, get ahold of the Cleveland soundboard.

Originally posted by henke_149:
The best bootleg available is clearly the 8th of June show from Boston. This was the bands best performance of the 4 nights and the quality of the recording is soundboard.

Are you saying that you HAVE a copy of 6/8/01 Boston that is a soundboard or that your copy is an audience recording that you believe is COMPARABLE to a soundboard? Just curious...

Originally posted by Blue Room:
Anyone with limited intelligence should be able to accomplish this.

I was hoping it wouldn't come to THIS. My intelligence is just fine, thank you; I choose to use it in a different way.

------------------
...a highway with no one on it, a treasure just to look upon it...

Hi like someone to blame.
It does not say one way or the other on my copy of the 8th show whether it is soundboard or not but it is clear that it is not an audience recording.The sound is as crisp as the DVD and it is a full un-edited performance.The fact that u2 did not have the cameras present at the gig meant they could relax and produce some stunning performances,11 O'Clock Tick Tock,Gone,The Fly and New Years Day to name but a few.
Well worth having and it goes under the name The Spice Boys as that is how he introduces the band.

Cheers.
Henke.

Originally posted by henke_149:
The fact that u2 did not have the cameras present at the gig meant they could relax and produce some stunning performances,11 O'Clock Tick Tock,Gone,The Fly and New Years Day to name but a few.
Well worth having and it goes under the name The Spice Boys as that is how he introduces the band.

Cheers.
Henke.

not to nitpick but i believe every U2 show since '92 has been filmed.

------------------
but everybody wanna live
you feelin' me, right?
fred durst

You brought it to THIS martha by calling all those that can convert DVD audio to CD geeks. That was uncalled for and that was my way of pointing that out. I guess your comment pissed me off a little as I see the term "geek" as derogatory, especially the way you used it in your post.

henke, are you absolutely sure your Boston 6-8-01 is a soundboard? I know there is an extremely high quality audience recording of it out there. The way you can tell is if the audience noise can be heard between songs. If it can, it is an audience recording.

[This message has been edited by Blue Room (edited 11-29-2001).]

I can't convert the DVD to a CD when I don't even have a DVD player.

Even if I did and got the songs onto my computer, I don't have a CD burner.

Blarg.
frown.gif

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

the point, folks, is that the technology to get a show on disc for yourself is widely available(net connection, burner, etc.)
IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THESE
we as fans have set up our own network of distributing these boots. the technology is certainly widely available enough for this, as evidenced by the numerous bootleg offers posted here.
basically if you have an address you can get a botleg one way or the other, often times with high quality.
if U2 did release one commercially they would have more people complaining on here about selling out(has anyone figured out what that means yet?), or not focusing on a new album.

------------------
but everybody wanna live
you feelin' me, right?
fred durst

Back
Top Bottom