U2 was right about one of their mistakes...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:)

Wrong on both accounts. ATYCLB was a good effort - better than POP - and Who's gonna ride is one of AB's better songs. Both the album and single version.

i love wild horses, but i wouldn't qualify it as my absolute favourite song. and trying to throw your arms around the world is also very beautiful (i don't seem like a very critical fan, but i hey, i like U2 and all of their music:))

U2girl said:
:)

Wrong on both accounts. ATYCLB was a good effort - better than POP.

You say it like it's a fact. Not a chance. ATYCLB can't even look at POP.

:wink: I knew you'd say that. It was intentional.

You have to remember that Wild Horses appeared on a album of masterpieces.

If it was released on any of the subsequent albums, it would stand out as one of the best on there.

I agree with some of the former posts that often I skip past it, but it still a great song..

Wild Horses is a great song plus the ending is great " Whose gonna tame the heart of thee?"

This is always one of the more divisive songs in U2's catalogue, in my experience--even the band seems torn over the whole thing. I love it, though, and I always have; I assume that I always will.

I'm not a big fan of the Temple Bar mix because, to me, it just sounds a bit clunky, for lack of a better term. While that may well be simply because I'm a lot more used to the album version, it's still the case. Remixes/new mixes are always a tough call for me, because the nature of the situation sort of dictates that the LP version is the version with which I'm the most comfortable...after all, I've heard it the most times. I am not a big fan of the Temple Bar mix at all. Not my style, I guess...

I love the lyrics for "Who's Gonna'...," as well. I really do. They've always spoken volumes to me. I felt a great deal in and about these lyrics even when I was just a kid and hearing them for the first time, and now that I'm a bit older and have gone through a great deal more in my life...well, they're even more powerful.

Even so, I do feel that (as others have said) the song ends on a bit of an anticlimactic and somewhat disappointing note...I don't dig on fade-outs, for the most part. That isn't up my alley. I also think that the song desperately needs, as does most of the band's catalogue, a digital remastering in order to really fit and live on CD. The entire album sounds pretty terrible, if you ask me.

I also love the blistering opening of the song. It is a bit abrasive, it sometimes borders on atonal, and it is very fuzzy...and warm. I really like that a lot; one of my favorite approaches in music is the combination of disparate elements into something of beauty. I think that this song (with its caterwauling and screeching guitars on one hand, Bono's beautiful lyrics/vocals and the strong melody on the other) does this quite wonderfully.

I'm sure that nobody really cared to read that much, but here we are. I love this song with all my heart--I really do. I can understand some of the criticisms which are typically aimed at the piece (and it may well have been a lot better if the band did as much as they thought they could with the song--but we'll never know...I love the version I know and I'll gladly take it), but I don't personally agree.

Wild Horses may be a mediocre track on Achtung Baby, but it's still a great song. Obviously, "One", "Mysterious Ways", "The Fly", "So Cruel", "Until the End of the World", "Even Better Than the Real Thing", "Ultraviolet", "Acrobat", and "Love is Blindness" are classics, but if you put "Wild Horses" on an album like "ATYCLB" or "Rattle and Hum" it could've been the best single song.

Back
Top Bottom