U2 vs Queen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BonoVoxSupastar said:
That's the beauty of art and humanity. We're all moved by different things...

Well, obviously. So there's no need to state that Queen's Live Aid performance was not moving, as though it was irrefutable fact or something, because what is not moving to you could be extremely moving to someone else. When you're dealing with something as subjective as music, nothing is fact.

I guess that's why threads like this are so pointless.

GibsonGirl said:
When you're dealing with something as subjective as music, nothing is fact.

You're overlooking the simple fact that Bono is the best singer of all time because he hit F# during this performance of some song in 1986.

/Peterrrrrrrrrrrrr

Axver said:

You're overlooking the simple fact that Bono is the best singer of all time because he hit F# during this performance of some song in 1986.

/Peterrrrrrrrrrrrr

Have you seen your own sig?

Holy über anal.

You should be able to recite the date and time of that performance. It's your specialty.

Last edited:
GibsonGirl said:

Well, obviously. So there's no need to state that Queen's Live Aid performance was not moving, as though it was irrefutable fact or something, because what is not moving to you could be extremely moving to someone else. When you're dealing with something as subjective as music, nothing is fact.

I guess that's why threads like this are so pointless.

Ok, well excuse me for not adding "for me"...

:wink:

Well even with someone like The Edge around...U2 is incomparable to Queen in the "Most Brilliant Guitarist" category. Brian May not only holds a PhD in Physics and Maths from Imperial College in London, but his doctorate thesis was a progressive work on the physics of black holes. Brian May also co-wrote a the book "Bang! The Complete History Of The Universe" several years ago. ( http://www.amazon.com/Bang-Complete...0059907?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1194157572&sr=8-1 )

Not too shabby.

~A.j.~

GibsonGirl said:

Definitely is a great version of Somebody To Love. :up: You should think about getting the DVD. ( http://www.amazon.com/Queen-Fire-Live-at-Bowl/dp/B000640XQQ ) There, a perfect Christmas present! Bohemian Rhapsody is beyond perfection. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVhwMy6W5Hk . Yeah...some of the Hot Space tracks kind of suck, but I just skip 'em when I watch it.

And it's official - I'm so jealous of you and your husband. :wink: You've both seen all of my favourite bands at their touring heights! Pink Floyd, Queen, Supertramp... Please don't tell me you've seen Echo & The Bunnymen in the 80s too. If you have, we'll have to trade bodies and I'll have to get my hands on Edge's time machine. :wink:

Should we adopt you? :wink:
Yes, we saw Echo in the early 80s. Hubby didn't see Queen, though I believe I did twice (once definitely on 'The Game' tour). I didn't see Pink Floyd, but he definitely saw The Wall. So....

I do have a Queen DVD here somewhere, I just don't remember when it is from. Most of our DVDs are music related, though we really don't sit down & watch them very often. I watched 'Help' tonight. :D

Lila64 said:

Should we adopt you? :wink:
Yes, we saw Echo in the early 80s. Hubby didn't see Queen, though I believe I did twice (once definitely on 'The Game' tour). I didn't see Pink Floyd, but he definitely saw The Wall. So....

I do have a Queen DVD here somewhere, I just don't remember when it is from. Most of our DVDs are music related, though we really don't sit down & watch them very often. I watched 'Help' tonight. :D

:wink: Adopt me instead. I'm still young and easy to mold. Plus, I am relatively familiar with California, considering that's where I was born.

I would pay insane amounts of money to be able to go back in time and see acts like Bowie and Zep in 73, The Who in 71, Floyd in 77, Queen in 75, etc...:(

Last edited:
hardyharhar saw Zep in '73
I would have gone to see them in '80 when I was about 16, then Bonzo died, so that was that. Saw Plant a couple of times and then Page w/Black Crowes, doing mainly Zeppelin. The friend I went with said it was the best Led Zep show he'd been to. And he'd actually seen Led Zep back in the 70s. That's as close as I got. That was the show they released on CD. They played 2 nights at the Greek Theater, but I don't recall what night they recorded for the CD or if it was combined.

\endrant & sidetracking, take 2

If reunited-Zep decided to do a US tour, on be on that right quick. Maybe they will if Page would just stop with the finger-fracturing and get it together. :wink:

GibsonGirl said:

The Millionaire Waltz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh7hwAo8L68
(1:07-1:42)

Who Wants To Live Forever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC4ZOxpu2rs
(1:39-2:16)

Somebody To Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aduNahDPjBA
(whole thing - listen to that intro, Peterrrrrrrrrrr)

You Take My Breath Away: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zB8HoC-CPk
(whole thing)

Play The Game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTT1dOHgXf0
(whole thing)

Love Of My Life: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtqADo-D3mQ
(whole thing - watch how Freddie conducts that audience. Is this an "easy singalong song"? I think not)

Just to name a few...

Im sorry but it is nothing in feeling and sadness like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDkBzkA9L4s
Time 0:12- 1:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QItUmkv7fR4
3:15-03:59

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFJsQ5a0g4M
The whole song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg6NAlny-c4
5:02-7:25

Just beacuse you can go up higher dosnt mean that you are better on feeling and soul in your voice. Bono cat get this very sad sound in his voice, something Freddie dosnt come close to.

Axver said:

/Peterrrrrrrrrrrrr

Okey Axver let me make this clear. I know you have hard to accept other people thougths just like an obstinate 17-18 teenager. I have seen other forum members tellin you this before. I accept your thougths, learn to do so you too. But don't use any other forummembers name just like you did now!

Last edited:
BonoVoxSupastar said:

Yeah, I'm still not convinced. Yes, Queen was great, but they just won't ever touch me the way U2 does...

And that was a good set, but it wasn't moving like U2's Live Aid set.

Queen had more live mileage under their belts compared to U2 on that show.

That said, it was the young 25 year old "gorilla" that provided the most talked about moment of Live Aid. Which I think says a lot about his ability as a performer - consider the insane lineup of that concert.

fandangamoq: well, Edge and Brian May are both nerds then.

I just think Queen fans get overly protective (or sensitive if you like) at the prospect someone might prefer U2, and say so on a U2 fan site, and not just "Peterrrrrrrrr".

Peterrrrr said:
Okey Axver let me make this clear. I know you have hard to accept other people thougths just like an obstinate 17-18 teenager. I have seen other forum members tellin you this before. I accept your thougths, learn to do so you too. But don't use any other forummembers name just like you did now!

I was parodying the fact that you are the single most predictable poster on this entire damn forum. It seems everything comes back to how Bono hit some high note in some performance in 1985 or whatever and didn't sound like Kermit, and when you get cornered about it, you just spout some meaningless gibberish like in this thread with Bono having a "sadness" to his voice. WTF?

Sure, we all have our opinions, and we're all well acquianted with those of regular posters, but you're a like a broken record sometimes. Go run a website cataloguing the details of Bono's vocal performance at every gig or something. It can be the vocal equivalent of setlist databases!

Axver said:

I was parodying the fact that you are the single most predictable poster on this entire damn forum. It seems everything comes back to how Bono hit some high note in some performance in 1985 or whatever and didn't sound like Kermit, and when you get cornered about it, you just spout some meaningless gibberish like in this thread with Bono having a "sadness" to his voice. WTF?

Sure, we all have our opinions, and we're all well acquianted with those of regular posters, but you're a like a broken record sometimes. Go run a website cataloguing the details of Bono's vocal performance at every gig or something. It can be the vocal equivalent of setlist databases!

Ha ha!
Yes Im predictable poster in the case of Bono's voice and I dosnt feel ashame of that. But that's not wrong...

But you are also predictable poster in one case(in wrong way also) . You get angry when people says something that is different from your thougths here are some thougths:

Axver's greatest hits:

From a thread about Bono sounds like Kermit:

Axver: "Only according to the deaf."

Am I the only person in this world that thinks that he sounds like Kermit sometimes on JT/LT? No there are alot of people. And I don''t know wich person that came up with it first. But ok we are deaf, because you alway have right Axver.

Axver: "It's not as if you're missing anything except Peterrrrrrrrrrrr's pathetic attempt at humourrrrrrrrrrrr."

Ok so you mean that eveybody who laugh at the Kermit joke from that thread has pathetic humor only because you don't like it. Ok we have, because you always right.

And if a other member post something negative about Lovetown you get mad. Calm down and don't take it to serious. I think you taking yourself to serious.

And why call the sadness thing in his voice "meaningless gibberish", why? It isnt meangless, I have heardother people say that. He has a sad sound sometimes in his voice. STOP BEING RUDE AXVER! ACCEPT OTHER PEOPLES THOUGTS!

Here is a tip Axver, when someone writes something that you don't think sing this to control your anger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loWrI1FneSM

Last edited:
Hey this is great.
A vocal nerd and setlist nerd duking it out :wink:

I'm thinking a cagematch. Betting, pay-per-view, the whole works. I could make millions :hmm:

Peterrrrr said:

Just beacuse you can go up higher dosnt mean that you are better on feeling and soul in your voice. Bono cat get this very sad sound in his voice, something Freddie dosnt come close to.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I knew you would say that. For Christ's sake, those videos I posted weren't about Freddie's voice going up higher! In that Who Wants To Live Forever video I posted, did you hear the way he sang "when love must die"? There is passion in that line, anger in that line. His voice even cracks slightly because he's putting so much emotion into it. And Freddie is perfectly able to convey sadness with his voice! Listen to Mother Love. Listen to White Queen.

Don't let your fanaticsm blind you towards the merits of other musicians. I find it absolutely absurd that I'm trying to convince someone that Freddie Mercury sang with passion and emotion. Absolutely absurd.

I loved Queen before I got into U2 and they kinda took over and right now I still prefer U2's music but I have to admit that Queen were much better technically. Freddie's voice, May's guitar playing, U2 could never compare.

Freddie is probably the greatest frontman ever

While recognizing Queen's high standing in the history of rock and roll, it's U2 for me. U2 has reached me and moved me in ways that Queen never could. That's no slight on Queen, I know they're very good, but U2's my band. I've loved 'em for years, and while I know a lot of Queen songs, they just never approached U2's status with me.

GibsonGirl said:

I knew you would say that. For Christ's sake, those videos I posted weren't about Freddie's voice going up higher! In that Who Wants To Live Forever video I posted, did you hear the way he sang "when love must die"? There is passion in that line, anger in that line. His voice even cracks slightly because he's putting so much emotion into it. And Freddie is perfectly able to convey sadness with his voice! Listen to Mother Love. Listen to White Queen.

Yes I knew that the videos you posted was about feeling. But I still think that Bono is better on transmit sad a sound to his singing then Freddie. I havent said thta Freddie dosnt sing with feeling, but he isnt close to Bono.

Don't let your fanaticsm blind you towards the merits of other musicians. I find it absolutely absurd that I'm trying to convince someone that Freddie Mercury sang with passion and emotion. Absolutely absurd.

No, if you look at my record collection you woulnd write that. I admit that there are singers in this world that are better, that can go up higher... But to me there is no other singer in the world that sings with such a feeling and soul like Bono.

Other singers that have an amazing/good/ordinary voice is:

David Gahan(his voice on Songs of Faith and Devotion tour was amazing)
David Coverdale
Colin Angus(in the 80's)
Brian Ferry
David Bowie
Jim Kerr(in the 80's)
Tony Hadley
Phil Collins
Cock Robin
Paul Young

GibsonGirl said:

Agreed whole heartedly. I realize that is a U2 forum and all, but of all Queen's merits I can't believe that Freddie's passion is the one that we're arguing about.

Peterrrrrrrr: You do realize there are more emotions than sad (just take a look at the Interference emoticons...) and any of them can be realized through song by the right person. If you're looking for genuine sadness, go listen to Elliott Smith. He'd be right up your alley.

~A.j.~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom