u2 vs 1960's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allbecauseofu2

Refugee
I've been wondering for a while what people who grew up in the 1960;s in america think of u2. As compared to the music from the politcaly charged late 1960's. The doors, the jefferson airplanes,the CSN&Y, the byrds, um janis joplin. Not so much the beatles casue thats been discussed already. Or like hendrix casue from the guitar point of view its not even a thing to discuss. but more from the bands like i mentioned above. grateful dead also. Do u feel connected to u2 like the bands in 60's? its very hard for a genration to feel for a band thats not thier "time". Casue by 1980, hippys had grown up and realy had locked out that part of their life and i would assume just stick with what they grew up with.. Or mabey not? i would like to know. I guess this is like, the rem vs u2 thread except its u2 vs the class of the late 60's . do u feel one or the others got views across better? better songs? so anyone in the i guess early 50's to 60 i would like to know ur throughts. thank you.

I lived in the 60's for 26 days. I say you can't compare them at all.

allbecauseofu2 said:
Do u feel connected to u2 like the bands in 60's? its very hard for a genration to feel for a band thats not thier "time".

I'm not in my 50s or 60s, but I'll comment anyway. I feel more connected to bands from the 60s and 70s than I do to U2, and I was born in 1987. And no, it has absolutely nothing to do with succumbing to the wave of classic rock nostalgia that a lot of people my age do. I grew up with that music, courtesy of my parents, along with the music of my own generation. So I wouldn't say it's particularly difficult to feel for a band that's not of your generation. In fact, much of the music created by my generation leaves me feeling hollow. There are only a few exceptions.

i wanted to see how the 60;'s generation felt about how u2 handles politics as opposed to thier own bands.

I was watching a Doors documentary and Grace Slick compared The Doors fanbase/following to a U2 like following in the 80's. In the sense that The Doors could get all the people to show up at a concert and have them in the palm of their hands.. and how U2 were able to do that in the 80's.

Back
Top Bottom