U2 videos you would love to see?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dr. zooeuss

War Child
mine...

1. Drowning Man
2. Like a Song...
3. The Wanderer
4. So Cruel
5. Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World
6. Gone
7. Do You Feel Loved?
8. Love is Blindness
9. Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
10. In a Little While
11. Zoo Station
12. Kite
13. When I Look at the World
14. The Electric Co.
15. Out of Control
16. October
17. Wire
18. In God's Country
19. God Part II
20. Xanax & Wine

Acrobat
Like A Song
MOFO (a good, not-remix video)
Ultreaviolet
So Cruel
When I look at the world
Zooropa
Bad
Miracle Drug

nice choices..

though doesn't bad have a video?

..someone on youtube made a great video for acrobat

Last edited:
greenlight7-11 said:

Love Is Blindness had a video. It was on the Numb VHS single.

You can see some screen captures here:
http://u2tour.de/discographie/videos/Love_Is_Blindness.html

ah thanks! found it online.. i had seen that once a long time ago, but never knew whether is was 'official'- i love the way they mixed the ZooTv footage with the other imagery- definitely their most chilling closer (until and except for Dead Man)

the carp hovering above that submerged car- wow.

takes me right back to the ZooTv era.

dr. zooeuss said:

wasn't able to find this. will keep looking.. cheers.

I could be wrong but I think Red Hill Mining Town is the infamous video that was directed by Neil Jordon (The Crying Game, The Butcher's Wife) which has never surfaced.

I know I've seen still shots from the video shoot, but I think the actual video has never been released. (Though it wouldn't surprise me if there are a few fans out there who've managed to get their hands on it. :wink: )

I'd like to see them make a good video again, something that hasn't been done since what? 1998?

I think STUCK IN A MOMENT's truck video is great...

and COBLs should've been more... I don't know... like a look-at-our-show video... the slow motions, the great moments from the band, the crowd filling the arena...

all we got was a dark thing...

LemonMacPhisto said:
I'd like to see them make a good video again, something that hasn't been done since what? 1998?

Videos are good when they seem to have a sort of storyline. Like LNOE. Although I don't understand it.

pepokiss said:
I think STUCK IN A MOMENT's truck video is great...
The van version was pretty damn decent. The football version was just weird. I can't watch it. It's too damn stupid (but I may be biased because I loathe American football.)

The band seem to be relying too heavily on straightforward performance videos. Yeah, we get it, live is where they live, but it actually makes the music videos themselves boring (I'm looking at you, Vertigo video, all the nifty special effects in the world can't make you interesting.) I miss the days of cinematic music videos. Videos that tell stories. They seem to be becoming rarer and rarer these days as bands go for big eyecatchy gimmicks to garner attention from teenagers.
Though I should point out that two of the best cinematic music videos I've seen in the last few years are the video for When You Were Young by The Killers, and especially the video for The Ghost of You by My Chemical Romance. Say what you will about the band (I'm sure they have very few fans here :wink: ) but the video is quite awesome.

My big unattainable dream is to direct music videos, so this is a topic I could go on about for days. Often I'll listen to a song and completely imagine the video I would make for it. I would suggest that U2 come to me (haha) but honestly, I get very little inspiration from their songs. Maybe that's because U2 songs are too straightforward. Maybe it's because U2 videos never have anything to do with the song, I don't know.
The U2 songs that I've ever created videos for in my head are: Shadows and Tall Trees, Promenade, Exit, Zooropa, and If God Will Send His Angels (a different one... which you can read about here), Slow Dancing, and Walk to the Water. Five album tracks and two b-sides. Not a lot, considering that with most bands it's like almost every song. Maybe that's the problem, maybe music video directors can't get any inspiration out of U2 songs either :shrug:

All that said, my favourite U2 videos in recent years have been Walk On (the regular version or "London version" as it's sometimes reffered to as, not the Brazil version), and Original of the Species. The former because I love the way people keep changing one to the other, to sort of show that people of all ages and races and walks of life go through the same shit, and hurt in the same ways, but can all 'walk on'. The latter because at least it's interesting (scary roboheads and all), which was a first for the HTDAAB videos.

I think one of the reasons that there aren't many great U2 videos is that the band seem to get to "hands on" and insist on footage of them playoing live is inserted. For example, the Anton Corbjin version of One would have been perfect, but the footage of them playing in Hansa, inserted on U2's insistence, spoils it for me.
The Vertigo video is terrible, they get two of the hottest video directors around and come up with that garbage! I think that if they had been given a brief that didn't entail "filming the band live" they would have come up with something much more interesting.

Re: Re: U2 videos you would love to see?

MsMofoGone said:

Absolutely GREAT to see 'Drowning Man' in the No. 1 spot !! :bow:

thanks... ;-) incredible song eh? ..i was hoping more people would share their own lists.. ?

phillyfan26 said:

Videos are good when they seem to have a sort of storyline. Like LNOE. Although I don't understand it.

Exactly.

I'm pretty convinced Michael Bay directed the "City of Blinding Lights" video.

The Football "Stuck" video is so horrible it's great. Gotta love Edge fracturing his skull after a nasty spill over some loose nachos.

Re: Re: Re: U2 videos you would love to see?

Originally posted by dr. zooeuss
thanks... ;-) incredible song eh? ..i was hoping more people would share their own lists.. ?

Okay, here's mine ...

Drowning Man
Another Time, Another Place
Stories For Boys
Rejoice
October
11 O'Clock Tick Tock

New Year's Day ... I never really see this video on TV anymore. I always have to refer to my own collection to watch it. :hmm:

The Unforgettable Fire ... this one also falls into the above scenario with NYD. :tsk:

Red Hill Mining Town
Exit
Hawkmoon 269
Heartland
Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World
Acrobat
Wake Up Dead Man
New York
A Man And A Woman

good ones!

(esp.:

Drowning Man
Red Hill Mining Town
Hawkmoon
Heartland
TTTYAATWorld
Acrobat
Wake Up Dead Man
New York
AMAAW)

With a Shout gets no respect:tsk:

there is A LOT of songs i want to see made a video
i make em up in my head what they would have looked like as a video...
plus,it would be kinda ackward to see a video now,80-90,concidering that was a long time ago,but if they coulde`v done it that would have been great...:(

Back
Top Bottom