U2: Unplugged

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
I've been watching VH1 Classic's MTV: Unplugged marathon today, and inevitably, I started thinking about what I would want U2's ultimate unplugged setlist to be. This is a good deal longer than any MTV: Unplugged episode, and it doesn't even matter because the show is off the air and U2 will never appear on it. But if for whatever reason U2 were to play an all unplugged, acoustic concert, spanning their whole career...what would you want the setlist to be? Don't hold back on length, 25-30 songs is ok. I tried to avoid cluttering it up with hits. I mean, songs like Streets and WOWY and Bad are some of my all time favorites, but I just don't think they would work in an acoustic setting, and there are so many lesser known songs that would work so much better unplugged. Keep it album tracks only - except for Party Girl, I understand if you can't leave it out. Also, I've ommited Desire because I've heard it acoustic too many times already. I feel that every song I've listed would work great unplugged:

Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Stay(Faraway, So Close)
Angel Of Harlem
Party Girl
Running To Stand Still
All I Want Is You
Staring At The Sun
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Stuck In A Moment
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Sunday Bloody Sunday(Edge Solo)
Please
The First Time
Tomorrow
Heartland
The Unforgettable Fire
Drowning Man
Fire
If You Wear The Velvet Dress
Tryin'To Throw Your Arms Around The World
Acrobat
October
Mothers Of The Disappeared
Wake Up Dead Man
"40"

Last edited:
You're incorrect about "Streets" not being good acoustic. Sure, you can't get the delayed guitar work in there, but the song is excellent played acoustically. I play in a band and I've broken it out acoustically a few times and it went over great! There's still tons of energy in the song simply with the tempo of the acoustic guitar and vocals.

Why Edge solo on SBS?

Last edited:
First off, I think IYWTVD would die acoustically unless done in a jazz/paino version like Bono did a couple years ago.

Also, I don't think Heartland would be good at all acoustically. That song is pure atmosphere, and I think that'd be lost.

I'm gonna simply list songs that I play acoustically, so I know they sound good:

1. Zoo Station **sounds great on acoustic**
2. Pride
3. In Gods Country :drool:
4. UTEOTW
5. Gone
6. Please
7. ISHFWILF
8. Original of the Species
9. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
10. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
11. Stay
12. Stuck in a Moment
13. Ultraviolet
14. Starin At The Sun
15. Kite
16. WGRYWH
17. Angel of Harlem
18. Hawkmoon 269/ Desire (medly)
19. WTSHNN

Encore:
20. When I Look At The World
21. Acrobat :drool:
22. All I Want Is You

Other songs that are great acoustically:
One
A Sort of Homecoming
Running To Stand Still
Van Diemens Land
So Cruel
Beautiful Day
In A Little While
Wild Honey
Walk On

Miggy D said:

You mean you didn't know?

namkcuR hates Bono.

-Miggy D

Just curious because people always mistakenly say that Edge singing SBS solo during Popmart was "acoustic," when it clearly wasn't. The electric guitar and distortion kinda throw that off :eyebrow:

As far as I know, the only acoustic SBS was at the Clinton Library dedication...

ImOuttaControl said:
First off, I think IYWTVD would die acoustically unless done in a jazz/paino version like Bono did a couple years ago.

Also, I don't think Heartland would be good at all acoustically. That song is pure atmosphere, and I think that'd be lost.

I'm gonna simply list songs that I play acoustically, so I know they sound good:

1. Zoo Station **sounds great on acoustic**
2. Pride
3. In Gods Country :drool:

I agree with you on Heartland. But Zoo Station??? Next you'll say Discotheque. :wink:

Zootlesque said:

I agree with you on Heartland. But Zoo Station??? Next you'll say Discotheque. :wink:

I'm serious!:D

I would've never thought if I'd never heard it that way, but it sounds awesome on acoustic.

Another one I forgot to mention on the original list was that HMTMKMKM also sounds great stripped down to acoutic guitar.

BTW, Discotheque might sound better than you think :wink: I know the chorus sounds good, but I haven't figured out the chords to the verses yet.

I don't hate Bono.

Edge solo on electric guitar would be just fine - it's not like all the instruments on that unplugged show were always literally unplugged.

The 80s live versions of SBS are great, but the 00s live versions aren't as energetic or raw imo, and Edge's Popmart solo version was the last great version of it.

namkcuR said:
it's not like all the instruments on that unplugged show were always literally unplugged.
Yeah, Cobain played an electroacoustic on probably the most well known Unplugged show.

There are few songs on the setlists presented that I do not agree that much (like Zoo Station, Fire, Heartland...), but I can tell you my imaginary choice:

1. Fast cars
2. In God's country
3. Staring at the sun
4. Stuck in a moment
5. In a little while
6. Tomorrow
7. Desire
8. Angel of Harlem
9. Sometimes you can't make it on your own
10. Running to stand still
11. The ground beneath her feet
12. Stay
13. Who's gonna ride your wild horses
14. Sunday bloody sunday
15. Crumbs from your table (up-tempo like)
16. Please
17. All I want is you
18. One / Unchained melody

Back
Top Bottom