U2 Under A Blood Red Sky DVD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ponkine

Refugee
Hola Amigos :yes:

We have only 10 months left for a new anniversary of Red Rocks 1983 concert :heart: without a question, one of the most legendary and important gigs from the whole U2 career.

I'm wondering if you have heard news or interviews from the band about a possible release of Under A Blood Red Sky DVD, with the celebration of a new anniversary of the milestone, unforgettable performance :bow:

I think all we agree that we'd love to see it out there on DVD at last. Also I think all we'd love to watch the full show for the first time. It's well known that footage from the missing songs exist and you can even have a watch on www.youtube.com

In case you don't know my friends, here's the full set they played on Denver 05 June 1983:

Out Of Control, Twilight, An Cat Dubh, Into The Heart, Surrender, Two Hearts Beat As One, Seconds, Sunday Bloody Sunday, The Cry, The Electric Co, I Fall Down, October, New Year's Day, I Threw A Brick Through A Window, A Day Without Me, Gloria, Party Girl, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, I Will Follow, 40

Also, there's a LOT of wonderful and must have footage from 1983, let's see:

CONCERTS:
1- Devore 30-05-1983: Complete footage exist from this astounding live performance at the US festival. 13 songs played, 60 minutes

2- Loreley Amphitheater 20-08-1983: Complete footage exist from what was the main concert from UABRS EP (5 of 8 songs were from this gig). 13 songs played, 62 minutes, but not the same ones as Devore.

TV PERFORMANCES:
1- Les Enfant Du Rock (French TV): New Year's Day, Two Hearts Beat As One and interviews

2- The Tube BBC: I Will Follow, The Electric Co, Gloria, New Year's Day, Sunday Bloody Sunday

3- Tops Of Pops BBC: Two Hearts Beat As One, New Year's Day

4- Kenny Evereth TV Show: Two Hearts Beat As One

5- Pop Electron Werchter Special BRTV: Two Hearts Beat As One and interviews

Maybe it's time all we make some noise about :camera: I don't want to see the 25th anniversary of Red Rocks 1983 without having the long awaited DVD :heart: . I don't want to start a petition but I ask everybody here and outside interference to ask the band, management, etc if you have the way to contact the band, PLEASE DO IT :up:

All we should have Under A Blood Red Sky on DVD at last, and the band must know we'd really love to have it complete. I can't think in any other possible DVD than Under A Blood Red Sky next year

Take Care my friends
ubrs_b.jpg

Last edited:
You got me excited thinking there was a scheduled release. Also, wouldn't the 25th anniversary be June 2008, which is not 10 months from now?

The 25th anniversary would be 2008, not 2007.

And if such a thing is released, it should be a two DVD set, with the first disc being the original 1983 release remastered and restored, and the second disc should be the complete gig, remastered and restored.

BELIEVE ME, there are old-school diehards out there who would say, 'oh, this might be the full gig, but it's not what I grew up with, why couldn't U2 at least just released BOTH the original and the full gig?'. Think Star Wars. That's why both need to be released together.

namkcuR said:
The 25th anniversary would be 2008, not 2007.

And if such a thing is released, it should be a two DVD set, with the first disc being the original 1983 release remastered and restored, and the second disc should be the complete gig, remastered and restored.

BELIEVE ME, there are old-school diehards out there who would say, 'oh, this might be the full gig, but it's not what I grew up with, why couldn't U2 at least just released BOTH the original and the full gig?'. Think Star Wars. That's why both need to be released together.

What the hell? :huh:

Why on earth would anyone release an edited and an unedited version of the same concert in the same package? That's just totally pointless doubling-up and I'm sure most people would feel absolutely ripped off. I know I'd never bother watching the edited version. Anyone that desperate to watch it can either 1. skip all the songs they don't feel like seeing or 2. get out their video. I imagine that market is so incredibly small that it's not worth catering for in the slightest.

Axver said:

What the hell? :huh:

Why on earth would anyone release an edited and an unedited version of the same concert in the same package? That's just totally pointless doubling-up and I'm sure most people would feel absolutely ripped off. I know I'd never bother watching the edited version. Anyone that desperate to watch it can either 1. skip all the songs they don't feel like seeing or 2. get out their video. I imagine that market is so incredibly small that it's not worth catering for in the slightest.

I actually agree with Axver on this one. In situations like this, those "diehards" are generally simply out of luck.

Your argument might have some kind of ground to stand on if this release was of Star Wars proportions, but the amount of people that would nitpick about the re-release of an old U2 video on DVD (outside of Interference, of course :wink:) are very, very slim. Therefore, if they do decide to release the entire concert, the old version on a separate disk would be obsolete to the vast majority of people.

Last edited:
Red Rocks is pure "classic U2" at their best back then. :bow:

I hope either version gets released soon ... my video is nearly shot from all the "constant" playings. :tsk:

I have a doubt my friends:

Does anyone knows why Edge's backing vocals on "40" are tad low on the video (almost gone specially during the first half), but clearly audible on the soundboard ? :ohmy: . Edge didn't sing out of tune at all!. Also the crowd sing along is more audible on the soundboard than the video.

Other than these weird things, I'm proud that Red Rocks is one of the VERY VERY FEW official videos that have been practically untouched, I mean, there're just a minor overdubs here and there just compare with the soundboard !, 99% the same !!!!.

I think the best way to release Under A Blood Red Sky is featuring the complete concert on the first DVD, and including (at last) a real must have second DVD with Devore and Loreley complete (both clocking 2 hours and with different setlist :drool: those concerts are just as better - if not even better! - than Red Rocks) and the TV shows extras. About releasing a 2 DVD set with both the video version and the complete one isn't a great idea. I think including a commentary about remastering process and the inclusion of missing songs, comparing with the original VHS release could be way more interesting and useful.

One more thing: Does anyone knows if the band have ever recorded a Red Rocks documentary in the past? :confused:

I strongly believe there must be more footage from the show, I mean, band backstage, crew building the stage, etc, than the couple of minutes at the intro "Harry's Game"

:wave:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom