U2 Uncut Magazine Special

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rafiennes

Refugee
Picked this up on Saturday.
All in all, not that great.
Here are some things I noticed while going through it:

While there are a few never before seen images, there's very little in the way of new information. Everything in there, we've either read elsewhere or is taken directly from making ofs and documentaries (like Making of Joshua Tree and the POP special)

I did notice something interesting, however. There's a page advertising back issues of NME Originals. Now, I picked up the NME Originals Presents U2 when it first came out and it was, in my opinion, crap. Basically every article consisted of attacking U2 over the years and saying how crap they were and how crap the albums were and blah blah blah...and blah. We get it - NME loves to hate U2.

So I think that the Uncut Special is supposed to be the opposite side of that coin since they're both obviously owned by the same company or are, in fact, the same company.

Anyways, it's good for pics, but not a lot of new info. Buy it if you're a collector, otherwise, save your $$$ for the album which should be out in October...or November...or tomorrow...

I like this magazine- I mainly like it for the free cds that come with it. If this is the same uncut magazine, then late last year they did a bit of a U2 special and they had a compilation cd with it that was called 'In God's country: the music that inspired the Joshua Tree'. The cd is great, heaps of great blues and country:wink:

Rafiennes said:
Picked this up on Saturday.

Hmmm, haven't found this special around here in Chicago yet. Will have to wait but new pix are always good to see, just to get a feeleing what exactly they were thinking at that particualr moment in time when the flash went off. :wink:

I'm a bit of a geek when it comes to spotting factual errors in this type of publication, but was surprised to reads Dennis Sheenan's commentart on 'One', and talking about Slane 2001:

"...The first of the Slane shows was quite exceptional because Bono knew his father didn't have long to live and expressed his feelings though the music. Sadly by the second show Bob had died. It was quite a relief as he had suffered though his illness. There was sadness but extreme relief that it was all over. 'One' took a totally different meaning that night with Bob's picture shown on the screen during the song. It became a tribute to his father's life and their relationship - a son at last accepting that his father really was the wise one."

Jim said:
I'm a bit of a geek when it comes to spotting factual errors in this type of publication, but was surprised to reads Dennis Sheenan's commentart on 'One', and talking about Slane 2001:

"...The first of the Slane shows was quite exceptional because Bono knew his father didn't have long to live and expressed his feelings though the music. Sadly by the second show Bob had died. It was quite a relief as he had suffered though his illness. There was sadness but extreme relief that it was all over. 'One' took a totally different meaning that night with Bob's picture shown on the screen during the song. It became a tribute to his father's life and their relationship - a son at last accepting that his father really was the wise one."

Yeah I noticed that too as I have read the magazine last week....it seems a bit strange for Dennis to say that but it has to be a printing error cos, you know, Dennis must have met Bob enough times to know that he died before the first Slane gig, and not the second gig. Just hope Uncut will issue an apology to Dennis if its a printing error or a journalistic errror.

Still the mag is a perfect intro for new fans to U2 before buying their music albums imo. From my 18 years experience of following U2, I reckon the mag is not too bad at all but could do with some more info on the new album tho.

dougal

fah said:
My favourite magazine store didn't have it in yet. :(
Mine either, I looked for it today. I hope it is easily availble in Australia...:waits:

Back
Top Bottom