U2 turn down £12.5 million commercial offer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beau2ifulday

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
and rightly so, by the sounds of things. Adverts are scarily capable of ruining good songs indefinitely.

from digitalspy.co.uk:

U2 turn down £12.5 million
Monday, May 23 2005, 14:49 BST -- by Daniel Saney

U2 have turned down a £12.5 million offer for permission to use one of their songs in a television advert.

The band turned down the request to use Where The Streets Have No Name in an advert for fear of audiences forever associating the song with the commerical.

Ananova.com quotes Bono as saying: "We almost did. We sat down. I know from my work in Africa what £12.5 million could buy. It was very hard to walk away from £12.5 million.

"So we thought, `We'll give the money away.' But if we tell people we're giving the money away, it sounds pompous. So we'll just give it away, and take the hit. That's what we agreed.

"But if a show is a little off, and there's a hole, that's the one song we can guarantee that God will walk through the room as soon as we play it. So the idea that when we played it, people would go, `That's the such-and-such commercial,' we couldn't live with it.

"Had it been a cool thing, or didn't have a bad association, or it was a different song, we might've done it."

Last edited:
this just in: man lands on moon

this is really old news, but i guess they decided to steal some quotes from a recent interview bono gave with someone else and pass it off as new news :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom