U2 Tribute Band - "Elevation" (Played the Entire Joshua Tree album)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmplace0401

The Fly
Not sure if this is the right forum to discuss U2 cover bands, but I saw one on Saturday night at the Commodore Ballroom in Vancouver - venue where U2 played their first Van. gig.

I had my doubts about the show and imagined it being a complete gong show a la some sort of Star Trek convention for U2 'geeks' (since I was going, that meant I would be joining this community of U2 nerdiness)....with a crap band trying mimic the real deal - hilarious results ensuing.

Turns out some of that was true...however, the band was really good and it was a great time. If anyone hasn't heard these guys from Toronto before, and would enjoy hearing U2 rarities played exceptionally well, definitely check them out. www.u2tributeband.com (they are better live than the stuff on their website). They played a 3 hour set that included the entire Joshua Tree album from start to finish including Red Hill Mining Town, which U2 has never performed live before.

Opening Set:
Wake Up intro;
1. COBL
2. Vertigo
3. Beautiful Day
4. Until the End of the World
5. New Year's Day
6. I Will Follow
7. SYCMIOYO
8. The Fly
9. EBTTRT
10. ULTRA VIOLET (for the diehards)
11. Angel of Harlem
12. One

Joshua Tree set:
13. Streets
14. Still Haven't Found
15. WOWY
16. Bullet
17. Running To Stand Still
18. Red Hill Mining Town
19. In God's Country
20. Trip Through Your Wires
21. One Tree Hill
22. Exit
23. Mother's

Encore set:
24. ZOOROPA
25. Sunday Bloody Sunday
26. The Unforgettable Fire
27. Pride
28. Bad/Ruby Tuesday

Pretty decent set eh? But even cover bands ignore POP!!!

If I remember correctly they did Pop a while ago... all of it... and last time it was Achtung Baby... :drool: Acrobat is on youtube! sounds pretty damn good!

Musically not bad, av heard worse. Singer (IMO) is a million miles from Bono, he would make a good new romantics singer tho......and he to thin!!
Am sure its a great night out tho.

The Joshua Tree songs were performed as they were done on the tour...really well done. Exit had the Van Mo Gloria snippet.

I agree that the singer's voice is really different than Bono's, but once you get used to that fact, its fine. In fact, I was glad he just goes for what he's good at, rather than doing a piss poor job of copying Bono. He hits all (or most) of the notes (even on SYCMIOYO), but in a less operatic way.

Glad I got to see these guys...and Zooropa was awesome.

gmplace0401 said:
Not sure if this is the right forum to discuss U2 cover bands, but I saw one on Saturday night at the Commodore Ballroom in Vancouver - venue where U2 played their first Van. gig.

Pretty decent set eh? But even cover bands ignore POP!!!

I have to disagree with you here, having seen Elevation quite often in the past two years (I live in TO). Far from ignoring POP, they play a few songs from it a decent amount of the time and have added a couple more songs from the album to their repetoire (which needs to be updated on the website...)

I've personally heard them do Discotheque (with boom-chas :heart: ), MoFo, Gone, Please (new to the repetoire) and IYWTVD (fairly new).

Their version of Acrobat (from their 5th anniversary show) is up on YouTube - recorded from the audience. They also have songs up on YouTube (I believe the username is u2tributeband) from the last time they were in Vancouver :)

Back
Top Bottom