U2 touring down under? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2002, 11:14 PM   #21
The Fly

Local Time: 12:10 AM
Perhaps part of the problem is their lack of new fans here. I'm fifteen and can only name two people my age who own a U2 CD... and one was introduced by me.
U2 gets very little airplay here, and none on the most popular top 40 station. Before buying ATYCLB I only knew two of their songs- Staring at the Sun and Sweetest Thing. I doubt anyone much younger than me remembers them at all. Beautiful Day is very well known, but even that's not enough to convince people of U2's brilliance. Plus a lot of people brush U2 off as being 'too old.' That combined with the lack of mega hits here has meant that very few people can actually be bothered giving U2 a chance.

I don't know what went wrong... because I have even spoken to kids that haven't heard of U2. Once I was on the bus, and a girl asked what I was listening to. I said U2... then I was asked who they were! Everyone around me was silent then one girl said 'oh... they're that German group, aren't they?'

If they spent more money on advertising in these countries they choose not to visit, perhaps by the next tour they'd have more new fans. As it is, I can't see them pulling in the same numbers they did last time. I think the old fans who wouldn't go would far outnumber the new fans who did go.

I only got ATYCLB when I couldn't find an mp3 of Walk On, so all my complaints come from personal experience.

blah blah blah

Old 10-12-2002, 12:23 AM   #22
War Child

Local Time: 10:10 PM
well u2 arent exactly playing the sort of music that 15 yr olds like these days so i dont see that as a big problem.

guys, the petition thing has been done. we did it last year, got hundreds and hundreds of signatures and it got us nowhere. ive pretty much given up any hope that they will come back here.
i truly hope im wrong but the boys keep saying they wont be coming here and seem far more interested in catering to the American fans.

i too travelled over seas last year to see u2 and im very lucky, but i still feel shafted because i know so many people who are still dying to see them. it just doesnt seem right that they could leave us out like this. i also know that a lot of bigtime fans now feel pretty bitter about the whole thing which is sad.

Old 10-12-2002, 02:55 AM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:10 PM
U2 have played 5 shows in Asia in the 90s, all in Japan. According to Edge:

"If you're travelling vast distances with air freight, it's not viable. We don't do shows if it costs us money to play. You don't want to go someplace for the first time and show up with two speakers and a light bulb. The people might be like 'Cheapskates!' "
Source: Blender

So I have a pretty good chance of never seeing them live unless I leave this country. Damn.
Old 10-12-2002, 01:23 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I may just be these natty pink glasses, but

I have this feeling U2 will be playing in Australia again.
My predictions have been known to be way off, but at this stage I still feel it may happen with a new album.
They have reached a point in their career where they don't have to do anything more. Their existing body of work is phenomenal. I can even imagine conversations happening about choosing the best time to retire.
I didn't feel ripped off at all by what U2 did, during 2000-2001. That was perhaps for me, two of the most extrordinary years of my life, so to have something the quality of all That You Can't Leave Behind...and the singles, Big Girls, electrical storm !WOW!
what was happening on a very personal level, what was happening on an international level, for them and us and us and them....it was big and powerful and beautiful
imho

they'll come when they can
Old 10-12-2002, 07:26 PM   #25
The Fly

Local Time: 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Cowgirl
well u2 arent exactly playing the sort of music that 15 yr olds like these days so i dont see that as a big problem.
Really? No... we're quite happy to listen to it- if we hear it. Electrical Storm has *only* been played regularly on the older-listeners station.
The problem I see is that no one pushes U2 here... so no one really cares about them much. A girl in my class who listens to rap, R&B etc. etc. suddenly started singing Elevation last week... but I doubt she could sing many others.

And of course people are going to brush U2 off as being old if they only hear them being played on Classic Hits...
Old 10-13-2002, 12:38 AM   #26
War Child

what i meant is that most 15 yr olds seem far more interested in the throw away britneys and boy bands. i know, because im surrounded by them. u2 gets a fair amount of airplay here in australia.
do u guys get any form of JJJ in New Zealand? I heard Merrick and Rosso (2 of our djs here) saying that some of their stuff is used in NZ somewhere.
Old 10-13-2002, 05:30 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:10 PM
u2 harldey gets played here in shepparton....i've herad electical storm during the day and late at night

sometimes you get some old songs like streets during the day too.

as for the next tour, i'm saving up to go to america
Old 10-13-2002, 11:28 AM   #28
War Child

The one cool thing about Melbourne Radio is that U2 get U2 everyday.

Usually Electrical Storm comes up between 3-5pm everyday on Nova 100 and mostly we have a U2 classis in the nights on Gold 104

Triple M needs an excuse to play U2 but usually repeats one song.I think overall U2 is doing well here. I can see 4 sell out shows in Rod Laver Arena, in the meantime www.austu2show.com is keeping us satisfied
Old 10-13-2002, 12:06 PM   #29
The Fly

Local Time: 01:10 PM
Here im the only one who listens to U2 (exept my older brother), so when Electrical Storm comes out i hope the popularity rises.
Old 10-15-2002, 06:14 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:10 PM
Rod Laver Arena would be too small i think, more likely to have 2 sell out shows at Teltra Stadium (Colonial) , but thats just my opinoin.

i couldnt belive it the other day, we had 2 u2 songs on the radio within 2 hours of each other!! electrical & streets...i mean 2 songs from one band in that time is pretty good for our shepparton radio!!
Old 10-16-2002, 03:00 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

G'day

Do you guys recall the piece ABC "Recovery" and Dylan Lewis did when U2 were in Australia for Popmart?
They ran a competition to go to the concert and interview Edge. I have it on tape, a fuzzy copy, but whenever I stumble upon it, I LOVE it!!!........it is hilarious.
Someone mentioned the Burswood Dome in Perth and being amazed how they managed to fit the stage in there. Well according to Recovery, they couldn't fit the giant cocktail stick in there....
Was anyone here at that show? Did they really hand out cards with pictures of an olive on them? or was that just Dylan pulling my leg?(I fell for it)
The bit about the olive was hilarious, and the young girls reaction was a bit funny and Bono commenting on the Spice Girls and Dylan's short pants was very funny...
but there was nothing funny about the interview. Edge was so gracious and even with Dylan present, he took it seriously. The girl who won the competition was still at school, but once she got over her attack of nerves , she asked sensible questions and Edge gave her his consideration.
Anyway, happy memories of when they were last here.
I harbour a fantasy...they sneak into Australia, no fan fare, they play a series( a very very very loooooooooooong series. It's my fantasy, so I attend all of them, VIP in fact ) of low key unplugged almost (yay acoustic instruments) shows. How's them apples? I might give Mr McGuiness a call...HB Productions mate
I got it all worked out.............in my mind.

who's to say?
i don't know , which way the wind will blow.

Ewwww reality, the tyranny of distance and money and time and commitment. It's the not knowing that is the hardest for me. I can only afford to see one overseas band really, every now and then, so I'm "saving " myself for U2. There aren't too many others I want to see in concert , just as well.( if I was rich I sure would!!)
So until it is confirmed one way or the other I am kind of in concert limbo. That's OK too...they are well worth the wait.
I won't be disappointed whatever they decide, I'm a family person and a rock n roll widow and a dedicated U2 fan, so I want what is best for them...and I'm not talking about money.

The delay last year , as it turned out kind of suited me. And the way things are at the moment, and look like being this summer, I prefer they come later. The landscape is really starting to feel the effects of the dry. I'd prefer they experienced Oz in all it's glory, she's looking parched at the moment.

I am seriously going to try and corner Tim Farriss on Sunday night, and give him heaps about the "who's Bono?" comment.
And his "farming" practices. It feels starnge to be going to see INXS on the National Day of Mourning for the bomb victims in Bali. IA lot of Union players were killed , so the Wallabies will be a bit subdued maybe. I rang the resort, the show is going ahead.
(a cass aside: my son's union playing mate has been asked to come and play professional League for Manly...god bless his big smile and keep him safe, please. I love those boys/men)
I am just making this my big rambling Oz comment for the week.

I have connections to Kasey Chambers, so I am delighted her 'country" album won the ARIA. I was even more delighted be watching TV and her song came on an ad, with beautiful dogs and cats etc...
"am i not pretty enough, is my heart to broken
Do I cry to much, am I too outspoken?
Don't I make you laugh? should I try it harder?
Why do you see right thru me?......

She has given that beautiful song to the RSPCA.
I think that made me prouder of her than when she won the ARIA.( I saw her in 2000, sing a duet in concert with Emmylou Harris...very magic moment)

Has anyone heard "Tubular Cowbells" yet? by The Magnificent Seven( there are only five of them)

ahh I had my say. I'll take my chances.
I shall believe till my dying day, they are a great little 4 piece band and they are the best songwriters EVER!!

I will come for you at night time, I will raise you from your sleep, I'll kiss you in four places
As I go running along your street (with no name, lots of them here)

You will make me call your name
Old 10-16-2002, 05:26 PM   #32
Refugee

Local Time: 01:10 AM
phew!

My goodness Cass, I thought Aussies were men/women of few words! Did Farris really say he hadnt heard of Bono? Strange, I always thought INXS imitated U2 to an extent. But anyway, you mentioned something about U2 coming to our end of the world and playing a series of low key gigs. Perfect! I've got a few ideas to compliment your brilliant epiphany(?)!

First, everybody on this thread seems in agreeance that bringing the whole show to Aus/NZ/S. Amer/Asia etc would be too expensive. So, instead, they just bring themselves. The local music dealers/manufacturers will supply the gear for free, in exchange for the publicity. The stage is easy to fix. The local community hall is really cheap and could fit at least 200 people. OK, so thats gear and stage worked out. As for accomodation, I'd be generous enough, as Im sure others of you would be, to let one of the lads stay at my humble abode for a while. If we got organised and billeted them, that would solve that problem nicely.

So, really the whole foreign exchange thing becomes irrelevant, as they won't be spending any money!
Of course convincing them may be challenging, but not impossible. For the NZ leg of the tour we could give them each a winters ski pass, and drive them to our various sheep stations, where they could see...sheep. We could sell it to them as an "all expenses paid holiday of a lifetime...with sheep". Has a good ring to it huh?
You Aussie lads and ladies could come up with something equally exciting Im sure, maybe "a day with the crocodile hunter"?

Anyway, the point is, they could bring nothing but themselves and play a crummy, effects free show in a dingy hall with crap lighting, and it'd still be the muts nuts to us. They have no excuses, damn it!
Old 10-16-2002, 06:48 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Not I said the fly

I'll try to be brief
Tim Farriss was just kidding when he said that. I am tempted to make a t-shirt for Sunday night with glow in the dark "Mr.BONO 2U" on it though.
The dreaded "what will I wear?" has begun.
Starlight...
starbright
First star I see tonight
Wish I may, wish I might
have the wish I wish tonight

make a wish