U2 to release a "tracks" styled album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convoy

Acrobat
I was wondering if anyone besides myself here would ever want, or think that U2 would ever release an album collection much like that of Bruce Springsteen's "Tracks" album which featured all B-sides, alternate versions of songs, and never before released tracks. I really would love to hear such an album from U2 especially with the list of songs that we have that were never before released material. Even the evolution of songs would be great to here to hear that a song sounded like At the start of one album, and how it finished up on another album. I think it would be a nice gesture to the fans even if it was available only to buy on U2.com so that way they didn't produce vast numbers of it.

U2 probably thinks they accomplished most of 'that' sort of thing with the Best Of's (companion disc with B-sides)
Of course, most of us had all the B-sides before they put that out.
I appreciate the effort to do that though.

I want unreleased stuff, studio outtakes etc. Different versions and so on, and yeah I would pay a lot for it.

You know there have to be hours of tapes to sift through. I volunteer to go through them and find the tracks. Are you listening Mr. The Edge? I volunteer, I'll work for Guinness and a plane ticket. :)

I wouldn't be surprised if something like this happened, but WAY down the line. In one of his recent post's, the Edge said something along the lines of "There will be remasters and remixes in the future." Combine that with the knowledge that U2 are the patron saints of abandoned songs (where'd i read that line years ago?) as well as the fact that U2 often puts one song through multiple arrangements, and I think that a disc like that would fit in nicely in some sort of super box-set one day.

james

I have dreamed of a release like this. Not an album of remixes, but true alternate/early versions of songs, like Always and Lady w/ the Spinning Head.

If I remember correctly, the band has commented that they won't be putting out any unreleased stuff or the like until they retire.

They signed a 3 album "best-of" deal with Universal. I guess we could expect 2000-2010 at some point, but U2 will be lucky to have 3 albums released in that 10 year period.

Maybe we'll something a little more....interesting (such as a "Tracks" type set)

I understand your point chocky. But one would guess that U2 could get another album out by 2010. even if it's another 4 years, even 5, that would be 2009.

So in the event that it's only 3 albums. 4 singles each, 2 new songs. that's 14 tracks right there. And hopefully a CD full of unreleased stuff. More ideally a box-set with 4 discs of unreleased stuff. :)

There needs to be a release of some sort containing "A Celebration" and "11 O'Clock Tick Tock" among others.. and why wasn't "Holy Joe" on the Best of 90's B-Sides?!!

Yep that would be a good album, I have always wanted to hear U2's(that is Bono&Edge's) version of Goldeneye which they wrote, cos tina turners was crap.

James U2 said:
I wouldn't be surprised if something like this happened, but WAY down the line. In one of his recent post's, the Edge said something along the lines of "There will be remasters and remixes in the future." Combine that with the knowledge that U2 are the patron saints of abandoned songs (where'd i read that line years ago?) as well as the fact that U2 often puts one song through multiple arrangements, and I think that a disc like that would fit in nicely in some sort of super box-set one day.

james

that was in response to my question -- about popmart on DVD and my 5.1 remixes of older albums question, similar to what REM has done -- which I asked in the Good Morning Thread

edgeu22 said:
There needs to be a release of some sort containing "A Celebration" and "11 O'Clock Tick Tock" among others.. and why wasn't "Holy Joe" on the Best of 90's B-Sides?!!

Holy Joe wasn't on there because their '90's b-sides CD sucked. I made one of my own, which was compiled from all of their 90's singles, and I cheated and added the Bono duet with Sinatra and the Mission Impossible song. Much better than their version, though I probably spent over $100 buying all those singles. Definitely the most expensive CD I own. :wink:

I'd love to hear the version of 'the wanderer' with Bono on vocals instead of Cash.

Back
Top Bottom