U2 to perform at the Grammy Awards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right, Dana, I forgot.

Everyone knows that U2 should fire McGuinness and release their albums for free on the internet while playing backyard parties and small punk rock clubs for concerts. That's "true".

1. Set up a rooftop stage across the street from where the Grammy's are being staged (a la the Streets video).
2. Play the entire record, wearing the appropriate garb/costumes.
3. Play the Misty Mountain Hop as an encore.
4. Watch as people madly claw and climb over each to get out of the theater, and onto the street...

That's how you promote at the Grammy's. :combust:

Unmitigated hubris is why.

I agree they should wait until next year, but The Recording Academy wants advertising
dollars and viewership (which U2 will bring) and U2 wants to hype the new CD.

Everything is so damn calculated.

Both of these articles have been discussed ad nauseum. Emphasis on the nausea.

Bloomberg.com: Arts and Culture

Lil Wayne, Coldplay Vie for Grammys as Music Award Loses Allure
Commentary by Mark Beech

Feb. 6 (Bloomberg) -- Lil Wayne and Coldplay, please take note: All that glitters isn’t gold. Even if it’s a Grammy Award. Especially if it’s a Grammy.

The Grammys have an image problem. Even a multiple winner such as U2’s Bono called them “the Grannies.” Trent Reznor of the band Nine Inch Nails said members of the U.S. Recording Academy who vote for winners were “out of touch old men.”

At least, this year’s awards show more range and make belated efforts to get hip.

Lil Wayne, who has faced hostile press for his X-rated lyrics, leads with eight nominations. This puts him just ahead of Coldplay, a more typical mainstream choice in the U2 mold, with seven nominations.

(Mark Beech writes for Bloomberg News. The opinions expressed are his own.)

It seems that your're damned if you do and damned if you don't.
U2 is using a means to promote thir new music and the Grammies are using them, too. Times are ripe for opportunist on both sides.
You can't really blame either one of them. I would find it just as deplorable for the Grammies to slag off on U2 just because they happen to be the "so called" darlings. a
and I'm not even sure if that's true.

It's not going to matter anyway.
There is plenty of bitching going on - with everything U2 does

Is Beech trying to say... that the Grammies aren't mainstream enough?

I feel sorry for the Academy for having to put up with this double-edged sword.

There is no "credible" means of awarding and judging art.

Every voting panel, critic, board, has people like us with varying opinions voting on what turns them on...

Who wins Album of the year?

Ill go for a shocker....Robert Plant and Alisson Krauss :)

There is no "credible" means of awarding and judging art.

Every voting panel, critic, board, has people like us with varying opinions voting on what turns them on...

i think the mercury prize is one of the best awards, truly based on merit. (99 per cent of the time)

4. Watch as people madly claw and climb over each to get out of the theater, and onto the street...

That's how you promote at the Grammy's. :combust:

I doubt that would happen. The FANS would, but I can't seeing other folks in the music industry really madly clawing and climbing over each other to see U2.

Actually, it's hard to decide between Alison/Plant and Radiohead, both great albums. I wouldn't feel bad about Colplay winning either.

I'm excited about the Bono & Rihanna duet! :hyper:

...but seriously, I am kind of intrigued. Her music is catchy... :eek:

:huh:

what you said is a bit misleading...there was article that said she would like to work with Bono and they may meet up at the Grammys.....but they are not doing a duet at the Grammys

what are the chances of the grammy's allowing........2 songs?

GOYB and Magnificant? huh? HUH?

what are the chances of the grammy's allowing........2 songs?

GOYB and Magnificant? huh? HUH?

stupidposts9vj8lf.gif

:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom