U2 to perform at the Grammy Awards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if it's already been said here, but it's not COMPULSORY to watch the Grammy Awards. Even if U2 are playing. I'd rather watch paint dry myself, but I'm like that....

What does this even mean, did anyone say it was COMPULSORY to watch the Grammy Awards, U2 or not?

Are we talking about this years Grammy's? I thought you have to have a single before Oct 30 or something like that?

I haven't watched the Grammys in past years, but I will this year, because there are 1. U2 2. Coldplay 3. Radiohead. Great lineup. :up:

seriously doubt radiohead would join them for that america song. and i still would like to know whats so LOL about radiohead. if any of those artists is LOL its coldplay, and i dont know what the big anticipation is to hear them perform, chris martin cant sing and that guitarist cant play

seriously doubt radiohead would join them for that america song. and i still would like to know whats so LOL about radiohead. if any of those artists is LOL its coldplay, and i dont know what the big anticipation is to hear them perform, chris martin cant sing and that guitarist cant play

The anticipation with Coldplay is C-Mart's awesome dancing and the chance of seeing butterfly confetti. :wink:

I just read that article, and the comments below it are overwhelmingly in U2's favour.

But guess what I found, folks!

I'm a U2 fan, but this article is absolutely right. U2 used to be too hip to hog the spotlight away from so many bands. That said, except in the "Best Alternative Album" category, the Grammys have consistently shown a preference for obvious mainstream music. U2 is no exception. Its best album was "Achtung Baby", which did not get "Album of the Year" or many Grammys, though maybe it was enough to win "Best Rock Performance by a Group" for that amazing album. There's no way in hell "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" deserved any award, much less a nomination.

The purpose of award shows is to attract the public to those things that are the best, not the most popular. The popular artists already rake in millions. When there are better artists or works of art that get little recognition, it is incumbent upon the Grammys to shine a spotlight on them. By cleaving to ratings, the Grammys show what a shame they are.

Radiohead has never wavered in its artistic integrity. U2 has for nearly a decade now. I hope it reverses course with this new album, but this kind of marketing -- which is representative of its hunger for profit and popularity beyond all reason -- is not a good sign. Stay away from the Grammys, U2. Many other artists deserve it more.

However, if it is between Foo Fighters, Timberlake or especially that white trash bastard Kid Rock, I'll take U2 any day.

Posted by: Muldfeld | January 29, 2009 at 09:55 PM

Now there's a big surprise.

Whatever your opinion on the last album (production aside there are more heartfelt sentiments on that disc than most of what's out there, and that counts for a lot in my book) you can't deny they are dynamic performers that a ton of the nominees and others connected with the show nowadays look up to, so there's really no way you can say they shouldn't be there.

I just read that article, and the comments below it are overwhelmingly in U2's favour.

But guess what I found, folks!

Now there's a big surprise.

Who cares what some random guy thinks? U2 would be stupid not to use that platform to promote their latest output. The Grammys are also using a band like U2 for promotion, after the quality of the show has constantly gone downhill in recent years. It goes both ways and U2 have every right to show the world they're back, just like any other artist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom